PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Texas

melgriffin03
03-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi all! I am soon to be homeschooling mom to Ethan, almost 5. I also have a 2 year old daughter, Emerson. We are planning on using Moving Beyond the Page and RightStart Math for kindergarten. Right now Ethan is working on Headsprout Early Reading and the occasional lapbook or worksheet.

I'm 29, with a BA in Literary Studies, and have been married to my husband, Craig, for 7 years. We live in a small city southeast of Dallas.

crstarlette
03-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Hey! What level will you be using for Moving Beyond the Page? I'd love to hear if they have any phonics instruction. We are planning to use MBtP for my middle child for first grade next year. My oldest, now in 2nd grade, is doing a literature unit of theirs and we like it a lot and plan to do more.

Snoopy
03-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Welcome Melanie! Noah used Headsprout when he was learning to read as well. I was amazed to see how engrossed he was in that program when he was so young and hadn't that all that much experience on the computer on his own. He did get bored with it at the very end so I just had him watch the Leapfrog videos (Letter Factory, Sound Factory, etc. for a while and used Starfall instead. Then I got him started on reading with the BOB books and later on Leveled Readers from Reading A-Z.com and he's been reading on his own ever since.

Be sure to check out the Texas group as well!

melgriffin03
03-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey! What level will you be using for Moving Beyond the Page? I'd love to hear if they have any phonics instruction. We are planning to use MBtP for my middle child for first grade next year. My oldest, now in 2nd grade, is doing a literature unit of theirs and we like it a lot and plan to do more.

We'll be using 5-7 curriculum. MBTP doesn't teach phonics, this is from their website...

While we do have many phonics and whole language experiences built into each unit, our curriculum does not teach the mechanics of reading. Many gifted 5-7 year old children know how to read and there are many varying theories on how to best teach a child how to read. For these reasons we have chosen not to “teach” your child to read in our curriculum, allowing you to decide on a reading program that fits your philosophy and your child’s learning style if your child is not already reading.

Ethan loves to play video/computer games so we found that Headsprout Early Reading was a great fit for teaching him to read.

melgriffin03
03-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Welcome Melanie! Noah used Headsprout when he was learning to read as well. I was amazed to see how engrossed he was in that program when he was so young and hadn't that all that much experience on the computer on his own. He did get bored with it at the very end so I just had him watch the Leapfrog videos (Letter Factory, Sound Factory, etc. for a while and used Starfall instead. Then I got him started on reading with the BOB books and later on Leveled Readers from Reading A-Z.com and he's been reading on his own ever since.

Be sure to check out the Texas group as well!

Sorry to hear that your son lost interest in Headsprout. When did he lose interest? Ethan just finished Episode 66.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Leap Frog videos, I might check them out. I would rather my kids watch that then some of the junk that is on kids tv.