PDA

View Full Version : Hi from ontario canada

Inas5
03-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi I am a Homeschool Mom of 5 ages 14 (next month), 11, 9, 7 & 2. I homeschhol all but my oldest. She has a different dad and he wasn't willing to agree to me homeschooling (control issues). But ps seems a good fit for her if not for me.:)

We are a traditional Native family. I am Lakota and my husband is Mohawk. My mom in law and single sis in law live with us.
We use a secular curriculum and include traditional teachings, knowledge and language.

Our kids take one sport each and attend a Native childrens program. We all dance and sing at powwows and socials. we teach our children to work around the house when the adults do so that they can learn to be productive, clean adults and we teach them other things that will help them to be independent. We are not into raising sheltered kids who hold their moms hand for everything they do like many parents here seem to do nowadays.

So thats a bit about who I am, hope to get to know you all.

Snoopy
03-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi Inas5, welcome to the Secular Homeschool Community! I'm the opposite of you... I have 5 kids in p.s. (because their other parents don't want them homeschooled) and I homeschool our youngest.

camaro
03-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Welcome to the site! You certainly do keep your homeschool busy! And I admire the ethics you're teaching your children. We need more children like that in the world.

dbmamaz
03-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Welcome! I have relatives in Gatineau . .. might even be up that way this summer.

Topsy
03-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Great to meet you, Inas5! I haven't gotten the opportunity to meet many Native homeschoolers, so I'm excited to get to learn from you. Do you know many other Native families who are also homeschooling??

dbmamaz
03-21-2010, 11:29 PM
I know a native woman near me, who comes to our park days, who home schools. I"m not sure her husband is, tho. She doesnt seem quite as traditional as you sound. She did post something on her status asking if she knew anyone who was dancing at the olympics opening ceremonies, tho, I think.

(not that you asked me, of course)

Inas5
03-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the kind Welcomes.

To answer your question, I am part of an online Native homeschoolers group. But in person I only know one other Native homeschooler although we are part of different local groups. I quit the one she is apart of. I know many would like to but are afraid of government interference although that is rare around here.

Yes we have been busy so we are switching much of the curriculum based stuff to unit studies (except math) to leave more time for traditional studies.