PDA

View Full Version : appetizers...okay GO!

muddylilly
01-28-2016, 08:11 PM
You are all so helpful with ideas and I'm currently drawing a blank.

DS12 has violin recital Sunday afternoon. Need to bring savory appetizer. Last time we brought mini meatballs on toothpicks in red sauce. (DS' favorite and he thought it would be funny....FSM, minus the noodley appendages....since recital was at a church)

This is for kids and adults :)

Fire away!!!

aselvarial
01-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Swedish meatballs
Pigs in a blanket (which i personally hate but keeps seem to love)
Mini sausages in barbeque sauce
Mini quiches
Dim sum

ejsmom
01-28-2016, 09:07 PM
My appetizer menu is limited to deviled eggs, a tray with various stuffed olives and pickles, crudite with garlic/blue cheese type dip, baked brie, or a tray with an assortment of crackers, diced cheeses, and red and green grapes.

alexsmom
01-28-2016, 09:17 PM
Violin recital.... or secret super bowl party!?!?
Is that this weekend?

Are mini tamales / empanadas too much work for this crowd?

Mini artisan* goat cheese balls either flavored or rolled in variety of fruits / nuts / honey / spices and cleverly arranged to make a pixelated picture of a violin when seen from above and 10' away?
(*That would be the locally sourced MuddyLilly brand artisanal cheese.)

My last appetizer venture was brie and cranberry filled puff pastry bites. It was yummy but a lot of work because I have to de-rind my brie. http://www.wellplated.com/cranberry-baked-brie-puff-pastry/

I like self-contained appetizers because I dont want to deal with other people touching my food or not understanding that double-dipping is only for family. And messy is a nuisance. And having something that doesnt have to be served hot is a plus too.

muddylilly
01-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Yep, violin recital........wish this one played piano, cause she has piano players bring a sweet thing.....cupcakes would be so much easier :)

DS decided on three varieties of "stuff on a stick"! Mozzarella, tomato, basil. Cantaloupe and prosciutto ham. Salami, black olive, white cheddar.

AM - He (and I for that matter) are a lot like you.....don't touch my food, and don't let my food touch your food! LOL!!!

alexsmom
01-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Oh wow, caprese on a stick! Yumm!

murphs_mom
01-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Locally they serve up this hot crab dip at many restaurants, parties, buffets, etc. It's basically a mix of cream cheese, shredded cheeses (different recipes use different cheeses), lump crab meat, Old Bay, and so on. It all gets mixed up in a bowl, put in a baking/chafing dish and heated up, and then the stuff is served warm with crackers, pita, baked pretzels...the card of your choice...or veggies.