PDA

View Full Version : Rice Cooker

TFZ
01-09-2016, 08:27 AM
I bought the rice cooker because I screw up rice every. single. time. Then I found that you can cook more than just rice. http://www.thekitchn.com/5-things-you-can-make-in-a-ric-111057 I thought I'd share this in case you have one.

I'm trying to buy less packaged stuff and have replaced the kids oatmeal with rice cooker oats. 1:1-1/2 a bunch of raisins and maybe a Tbsp or less of brown sugar. It's very good. Restaurant style I'd say, and it can sit in there until everyone is ready to eat instead of getting cold on the table.

Making a variation of the frittata this morning and going to try the polenta tonight. We already make rice 2-3 times a week, so my $15 machine is in use 7 days a week.

Yay quasi cooking!

alexsmom
01-09-2016, 11:56 AM
Oh neat! I didnt know rice cookers were so inexspensive!

Somehow your post got me in the mood for grits! Mmmm. (Will have to wait until next weeks shopping trip.)

(I hear DS10 downstairs now fixing himself some instant oatmeal - would like to get out of that as well.)

TFZ
01-09-2016, 12:42 PM
http://smile.amazon.com/Aroma-Cooked-UNCOOKED-Steamer-ARC-743-1NGB/dp/B004O83YVQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1452357618&sr=1-9&keywords=rice+cooker

Mine looks almost loke this. Same brand. It was on sale at target when I got it. The steamer comes in handy, too. The kids will only eat certain veggies and steamed baby carrots is one.

muddylilly
01-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Electric rice cookers.....every time I see one, I think of my Hawaiian and Filipino friends. Just like every time I see an electric tea kettle, I think of my Canadian sister-in-law :)

Both make me wish I had more counter space! LOL!!

Enjoy your oats!

ScienceGeek
01-09-2016, 12:59 PM
We paid a bit more for a Japanese rice cooker over 11 years ago and its still in use a couple times a week. Dh packs himself a Japanese style lunch for work every morning so I set the timer on the rice cooker to have rice ready at 6am - it gets packed warm and stays warm in his Mr. Bento lunch box - has a container for rice, one for soup and two others he puts fruit or snacks in. Love having a timer on it.

dragonfly
01-09-2016, 06:57 PM
One of my favorite meals is Lundberg Farms Olde World Pilaf: http://www.lundberg.com/product/lundberg-olde-world-pilaf/, cooked in a rice cooker with veggies tossed in partway through cooking. I like them big and chunky: onion, garlic, mushroom, broccoli, brussels sprouts, zucchini, peppers, etc. When it's done, add some Liquid Aminos and cheddar cheese shredded on top, maybe a touch of butter or Smart Balance--amazing. It's one of those meals that I can't stop eating, even though I know I'm full.

It probably sounds weird, but it's so good--I love me some veggies!

aselvarial
01-10-2016, 02:04 AM
I burn rice EVERY time I make it. I debated getting a rice cooker, but I wasn't sure I could justify yet another kitchen gadget. And then I found directions for BAKING rice in the oven! and now it never burns! Granted, it takes an hour, which sucks, but at least I don't burn it. Still, if a rice cooker does more than one thing, maybe once the move is over I can get a rice cooker

dbsam
01-10-2016, 03:26 AM
I use my rice cooker to make beans.
The pressure cooker was much faster but i didn't care for it. It takes awhile to make them in the rice cooker but i can leave them without worry or constant checking.

Eta: I have the Aroma professional 20 cup rice cooker/food steamer/slow cooker. I hesitated to get it because I typically stay away from Teflon. But it has come in handy.

TFZ
01-10-2016, 08:55 AM
I didn't know if it was worth it either, aselvarial. But DS went on this huge rice kick where he wanted rice with every meal, and I just couldn't do it. I burned it every time, too. This is way easy. DS asked for the spinach frittata again and is now skipping around the house singing about eggs. I seriously used it three times yesterday, and right now I wish I had another one because the oats are better than in the microwave.

I'll have to try beans. DH is always saying we should start buying dry beans instead of canned because we go through so many now. The kids love any bean soup or chili (because we also call that soup, I think).

MNDad
01-12-2016, 07:26 AM
Ours is a Zojirushi. Several years old but gets near daily use. We're Japanese cuisine freaks at our place so it has a permanent place on the counter.

Norm Deplume
01-12-2016, 10:47 AM
I bought an electric pressure cooker (the Instant Pot) a little over a year ago. It was over $100, but aside from the pressure cooking, it's also a great rice cooker, yogurt incubator and can also be used in place of a Crock Pot. I was a little worried about spending that much money on an appliance that I don't have the counter space for, but I use it so much now that it earned a place on our crowded counter. Crock Pot is in the basement now.

Edited to add: it also steams things, and I hear it makes great hard boiled eggs, but I haven't tried that bit yet.

TFZ
01-12-2016, 11:26 AM
I broke down and bought the pickled eggs at publix this week. The time spent boiling, peeling, peeling more... Then they are consumed in five seconds. Ugh.

fastweedpuller
01-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Robin, I bought an Instant Pot too, just this summer. Considering how many beans and hard veg like beets, sweet and regular potatoes and tough old roosters we eat here, it's never going to get put away :heart:

Although I do admit for 2 or less cups of rice our ancient rice cooker gets hauled out of the cabinet

And I will probably never "bake" things in it or a crock pot either...though I do know people can do such things. But its saute feature is pretty rad.

ScienceGeek
01-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Ours is a zojirushi as well, a friend who lived in japan for awhile recommended it. They leave rice in it all day - it keeps it warm and whenever someone is hungry they can have rice.

alexsmom
01-12-2016, 12:56 PM
How do you guys burn rice?
Not meaning to brag, but I cook it maybe 2-3 times a week, only get a *crispy layer* if DH is unaccountably delayed in getting home so it sits in the hot pot for a long time.

I put 2C water in pyrex measuring cup, put in microwave for 3 mins. While thats going, I melt pat of butter in pot, then add 1C (basmati) rice (we pre-measure and have them in little baggies which we reuse) and stir until the water is boiling in microwave. Add water, put on lid, reduce to low heat, set timer for 20 minutes, and walk away.

A rice cooker sounds pretty awesome though - for all the other things it can do too.

alexsmom
01-12-2016, 12:58 PM
And look! MNdad changed his location to Ontario! Yay for successful moving!

muddylilly
01-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I'm not getting how to burn rice either.....but maybe it's the humidity at my house ;)

I want to get rid of my microwave too, in order to reclaim the counter space...so I can't rationalize a rice cooker. But that nifty one Robin has sounds intriguing....... Gotta have what everyone else has! Lol!!!!

TFZ
01-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Oh yeah it's super easy to burn rice. First, you put it in the pot with the water. Next, you turn the stove on. While you're waiting for it to cook you forget you're cooking. When you remember, you run across the house like a bat outta hell to turn it off. Then, you let it sit there for like 20 minutes or an hour or whatever until you're ready to eat. Finally, you dump it out and the whole bottom of the pot is completely crusted in black rice with maybe 25% of the rice attached to that. Above the crusted layer is the mushy, overlooked rice, and on top is the crunchy, undercooked rice.

I want a micro hood so bad. But my regular microwave will have to die at the same time I trip and fall into a bucket of money. Bummer.

aselvarial
01-13-2016, 12:49 AM
TFZ, that's not even the case with me. I follow the directions, set a timer, even add MORE water and short the timer. It still burns. Brown rice, white rice, black rice (i cried over that one), it ALL burns if I try to cook it on the stove. I have called my mom (who never burns it) my m-i-l (who also never burns it), have tried 3-4 different TYPES of pots, AND have lived in places with gas and electric stoves. It still burns. I've lived in Indianapolis, all over Georgia, Iowa, and New York and have NEVER been able to cook a pot of rice without burning it. This is especially annoying as it is the ONLY thing I've ever encountered (other than a really good gluten free bread) that I can't cook! And it's one of those stupid simple things!!!!

Microhoods are all the rage in the houses we are looking at! Nearly EVERY house has had them! I can't wait to own one! (downside is it's usually because it's a smaller kitchen and my current kitchen is pretty spacious for a 1300 sq ft house)

alexsmom
01-13-2016, 01:19 AM
@aselvarial - maybe turn down the heat?

I love looking at new places to live.... if it were serious about moving thatd be my favorite part!

(Lately its been scoping out 1+ acre properties in locations where it rains enough to dry farm.) Trees, garden, greenhouse, still, chickens, even a goat. All on the list.

aselvarial
01-16-2016, 01:05 AM
alexsmom, I've done EVERYTHING. I've just accepted that I cant make rice. :-).

This will be mine and my husband's 8th move in 16 years. And the first time we've bought and planned to stay anywhere for more than a couple years. It's unbelievably stressful.

My parents own 10 acres that they are turning into a farm for when my dad retires (so my mom doesn't kill him), so we've had fun helping to plan that and watching as it goes from mostly wild wooded area to being cleared, the pond refilled, and soon plants and animals will be added. It's especially fun since I can help plan but am not ultimately responsible. :-)