PDA

View Full Version : best books, unschooling

Dutchbabiesx2
11-01-2010, 02:28 PM
so, I'm very interested in unschooling, or world schooling as I'd like to call it. we are a family who likes to travel (US and abroad). My husband is reading Drive by Dan Pink and he is actually applying the information to homeschooling!! yeah him.
I've been interested in the concepts of unschooling . . . but I feel i need some guidance, or ways to connect the everyday to learning.
I just got John Holt's book: Teach Your own and will start reading that soon.
Any other books that you have read that really helped you make those every day connections? help me start thinking more about each experience can be a learning experience?
we will go to the library today and I will let them pick out their own books without guidance (even if it is Garfield comics- at least they are reading!!!! right?).
THANKS!!:confused:

hockeymom
11-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Anything by John Holt is a great start. I'd also recommend The Unschooling Handbook by Mary Griffith.

Have fun!

Marmalade
11-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Anything by John Holt is a great start. I'd also recommend The Unschooling Handbook by Mary Griffith.

Have fun!

I was also going to recommend the Unschooling Handbook. It's very inspirational-even if you don't decide to be unschoolers!

Wilma
11-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Agreeing with the above. If your children are older, I love The Teenage Liberation Handbook, although some people have a problem with the author's go out and try it all in the world attitude. She makes a couple of references to go out and experiment with life, smoke some pot, things like that. But it is only one or 2 sentences in an excellent book, but it is enough to make some people not want to share the book with their kids (it is written for the student to read, not the parents.) Unfortunately my dd was not as enamored of the book and ideas as I was. I was all ready to send the kids to the Not Back to School camp in Oregon.

dbmamaz
11-08-2010, 11:13 AM
there are a lot of unschooling blogs, and I know at least one of the blog authors did a book . . . but i dont pay attention since i'm not an unschooler

Wilma
11-08-2010, 04:47 PM
I like this (http://www.nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/) blog

Pefa
11-09-2010, 08:58 PM
No specifics, sorry, but after a million and one years of homeschooling my children and I are very good at spinning everything into an "Educational Experience". So what books did they end up with?