PDA

View Full Version : Post-holidays: tear it all down, or leave it all up?

crunchynerd
12-30-2015, 10:08 PM
After the holidays, what is your personal feeling on the trimmings and trappings, the ribbons and wrappings, the tree (if you have one) or whatever you use to symbolize the holidays?

TFZ
12-30-2015, 11:04 PM
I was thrilled when DH wanted to tear down the tree on the 27th this year. It was a total dud. Wouldn't drink any water and was looking sad in a Charlie Brown's Christmas sort of way. Lights are still outside until Jan 1st probably when DH is off to take them down. I hate ladders. This is late for us.

Mariam
12-30-2015, 11:04 PM
In the past, I usually put it up Thanksgiving weekend and take it down after new year's. This time, it got up a week or two after Thanksgiving and it might come down before or on New Year's.

Between travel and other projects (like finishing unpacking from last year's move!) I am now just trying to get stuff organized and put away, so that will in include the tree. Though I didn't even put up our Christmas lights this year either. It was real minimal.

B&Z Mama
12-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Normally, I'm an after New Years kind of gal, but this year it was down the 28th so that DH could demo the kitchen and have room for renovations... I'm sort of sad about that. I can sit in the dark and look at a Xmas tree for weeks and weeks.

Oksana
12-30-2015, 11:14 PM
The New Year IS the main holiday for us. The kids will unwrap the presents on January 1st and the tree and other decorations will stay up until the end of January.

20+ years ago, when my family just came to the US and we did not have any extra money to spend on the tree, we would pick it up somewhere - in the trash, thrown on the street, to be burnt pile - at the end of December ( 27th-28th-29th), bring it home and decorate for the New Year's Eve.

aselvarial
12-30-2015, 11:17 PM
This year we didn't put any up. However, in previous years, we leave them up until at least January 6th (some Catholic thing my m-i-l melted down over). One year we left them up all the way until February as I was in the hospital most of the month of January, but usually, they come down between January 7th and 12th depending on when my husband is off during those days.

Mariam
12-30-2015, 11:22 PM
Like B&Z, I could look at the lights for weeks. I thought about putting up a small string of lights on the mantel in the living room, just so that I can have the little lights.

muddylilly
12-30-2015, 11:43 PM
Jan. 2nd. After the hangover has worn off ;)

pdpele
12-31-2015, 12:01 AM
DH who does not like clutter or mess or stuff tried to start packing up the decorations on the 27th this year. I put my foot down. The tree and decor stays until New Year's day. Isn't that like a rule or something??

Mariam
12-31-2015, 12:48 AM
If you are an Episcopalian, it stays up until the 6th.

alexsmom
12-31-2015, 01:33 AM
We may be pretending to be episcopalian or whatever this year - weve been sort of sickly as a family, so the tree might not come down until the middle of January when we get around to feeling like putting it away.

We have a fake tree, because it feels wrong to me that we murder a tree just for a couple weeks decoration im the house. Even if it smells nice. and we spent 150-200 on it maybe around the time DS10 hatched.... so we have come out financially ahead if our choice was fake tree or murder tree annually. And it has the lights all wired into it. :)

MNDad
12-31-2015, 06:52 AM
Usually New Year's day is the tear down for us.

This year, tear-down was 12/26 since movers came on 12/28 and packed up everything. It was pretty easy since not much went up. DD sensed the lack of decorations and made her own tinsel and garland and hung it up everywhere.

TFZ
12-31-2015, 07:05 AM
Lol the 6th is the Epiphany. Yay catholic elementary school finally came in handy!

fastweedpuller
12-31-2015, 07:29 AM
Ours goes up the week before and comes down the week after-ish. We usually get a homegrown tree from our land or neighbors' lands, so they're usually white pines and very, very Charley Brown-ish. This year though we chopped one down from a tree farm belonging to a friend.

I will say though that the tree is the only thing that's decorated, plus the stockings. We don't go all in for schlocking up the house with "Stuff" as it gives me hives. In point of fact, I had to explain this year to dd what a Nativity was...bad bad atheist...

ScienceGeek
12-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Personally I would tear it all down a few days after xmas but the youngest wants it up as long as possible...ugh. But this weekend is my limit.

halfpint
12-31-2015, 12:56 PM
We celebrate Solstice, not Christmas. Decorations (mostly lights) go up sometime after Thanksgiving and stay till around Imhbolc (beginning of Feb). We don't have a tree so we don't have to worry about dead needles or such. It's nice to keep the extra light until the days really do feel a little longer, and taking them down usually kicks off spring cleaning.

IEF
12-31-2015, 03:22 PM
It needs to come down today because it's New Year's Eve and we have January birthdays.

Everything but the schmancy new tree ds24 got us on sale + employee discount this time last year and my Grandmother's handmade ornaments (new to us this year because of parents moving to apartments in nice, safe, swanky retirement communities) is already down.

Avalon
12-31-2015, 03:42 PM
I can tolerate approximately 3 weeks of tree clutter. I aim to put it up around the 10th or 12th of December, and take it down around the 1st of January. We probably would have taken it down by now, but we went skiing for three days, so it's still there. It MUST be down before we start back to our regular routine on Monday.

squares
12-31-2015, 07:04 PM
I think this is partially regional. I'm from New England. Most people put their Christmas decorations away sometime in early January, but there is really no pressure. Some people leave them up until, oh, March or so. They are a minority but there's several in every town.

I lived in the mid-Atlantic for some years, and it was like a law that everything had to come down New Year's Day. You were being sloppy if you left it up 'till the 2nd. I never really got used to that.

True to my heritage, I get around to it in early January, but there is no specific date that I feel pressured to meet.

muddylilly
12-31-2015, 07:35 PM
We repurpose our tree when we are done......Goaties get a nice treat :)

farrarwilliams
12-31-2015, 07:59 PM
Leave it up until Twelfth Night/Epiphany. Taking it down before that means you're taking it down before Christmas is even over. Which is fine - it's a secular holiday too. Just sayin...

crunchynerd
12-31-2015, 10:51 PM
Neat to learn of all the traditions out there! My DH likes to leave it up til whenever, and depending on how irritated I felt with the whole holiday thing, I either am sick to death of it already and want it all down and packed away the day after Xmas, or else can tolerate it a while, again, depending on how Christmased out I feel that year. We also have a child born practically on New Year's Day, (Close enough!) and so if he wants the tree to stay up during his birthday, well, okay then.

But I used to love the holiday decor, and these days, I can't wait to get the hassles over with. Terrible, I know!

Interesting that someone said in New England people are more apt to leave it up, whereas in Baltimore they feel it has to be down PRONTO. I live in New England now but am not from here, and I can see that. Here, if it's still white everywhere you look, the sight of a red bow on a green wreath can be a real mood-lifter, whereas in the south or mid-atlantic, having x-mas decor up when bulbs are already breaking ground would seem a bit offputting.

Gemenna
01-04-2016, 11:03 PM
I normally want it gone as soon as possible, but this year I didn't mind it up til after New year. But now I want it down. I am probably going to wait til after the 6th not from preference but necessity. I have too much that is more important to attend to. But I like to move on and be done with it.

Collin
01-05-2016, 12:33 AM
We're planning to "undecorate" tomorrow, on the 12th day of Christmas. It was my 5yo's idea, but it seemed reasonable enough.

Starkspack
01-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Usually I aim to get it all down the weekend around New Year's. For some reason, this year we were just busy, so it is all still up. Coming down tomorrow (Wed) because I'm off work that day, but now I'll get to tell DD that we left it up for the whole 12 days of xmas, thanks to this thread. :)

Of course the downside of that is that from now on, she'll want to do that....

SoylentGreen
01-06-2016, 10:58 PM
We like to leave it up until New Years, or the weekend right after New Years. We took it down early this year, because we got a new puppy who would NOT.STOP.EATING.THE.TREE. In case anyone is considering it, a Christmas puppy is a very, very bad idea. He's cute, but holy cow...

Gemenna
01-10-2016, 10:49 PM
Twelfth Night, or What You Will?
Sorry, couldn't resist!