PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put your produce?

TFZ
12-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Every time we go shopping I have plates and bowls of produce laying all over the place. There must be a better way!!!

Today I told to DH that when I redesign the kitchen (yeah, right) I'm going to put a huge, tiered produce display hanging from the ceiling so we have room for all of our apples, tomatoes, clementines, bananas, onions, limes, lemons.......

What do you do with fresh produce that doesn't go in the fridge? Do you all have walk-in pantries next to your extra freezers, lol?

RTB
12-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Yes - I dream of a root cellar *swoon*

We have a walk-in-ish pantry onions and potatoes go in there. Tomatoes and bananas usually sit on top of the microwave. The rest lives in the fridge and gets pulled out the day before we eat it (I don't like cold fruit).

They do make big tiered hanging bins to store fruit search hanging fruit basket on Amazon.

inmom
12-24-2015, 12:08 PM
We put most of our extra produce in the basement on some wire shelves my husband got years ago that used to be grocery store display shelves. It stays cool and if something does rot a bit, it's not sitting in a puddle. A few apples, bananas, oranges go in a basket on the counter. Tomatoes go on the window sill until used. The rest (carrots, turnips, cabbage, brussel spouts, broccoli, celery) go in the fridge.

dragonfly
12-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Taters and onions are in the closet/pantry (separately, of course, so they don't rot), tomatoes on the counter within easy reach for sammies, oranges, grapefruit and bananas go in two three-tiered hanging baskets. Grapes in the fridge. Apples, lemons, limes go in the fridge until they are entirely forgotten and dried out. Except for the apples that dh gets whenever he visits a certain friend, those hang in a plastic bag on a chair in the kitchen until the bag starts to leak cider. After that, I lovingly store them in the swampy area behind the building, giving my throwing arm a workout in the process. (We don't eat many apples around here, but for some reason, we always seem to have some on hand.)

Avalon
12-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Potatoes & onions go in the cupboard (very cool and dry climate here), bananas on top of the microwave, tomatoes on the counter, although I don't buy them very often (mostly in the summer, when they're good). Everything else goes in the fridge.

I prefer to eat my fruit cold, although my daughter likes it warm.

alexsmom
12-24-2015, 01:46 PM
We do a two tier fruit bowl on the counter - usually has oranges/clementines and bananas. Fridge has a tupperware with grapes and any berries that have been processed, another for celery or carrot sticks (I store them in water). Then we have one drawer for lunch veggies (the things dad doesnt eat), and one drawer for the things im planning to use for cooking dinner.

Id love to have a pantry just for produce, or extra freezers for the zombie apocalypse. I have a twice a week grocery routine, Ill just stick to that for now. ;)

TFZ
12-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Oooooooooh twice a week shopping. Never thought of that. We can usually last a week or ten days - picking up more bananas and milk along the way.

Those hanging baskets all look so small. We get the 5lbs of oranges, prob 10 apples and/or pears, and two bunches of bananas, grapes, in the fridge - that's just fruit. I did see some bigger baskets that would be cute, but we don't have a place to put them.

I'm dying to replace everything with spray painted milk crates, but I don't think DH will let me.

alexsmom
12-24-2015, 06:37 PM
I had thought about hanging baskets but decided to go with a large countertop one that im pretty sure came from costco. I like that its well-ventilated. Our bottom basket is where oranges or apples usually go, currently occupied by a lone orange and two acorn squashes.

muddylilly
12-25-2015, 04:32 PM
I hate shopping, and especially grocery shopping......twice a week would be punishment for me :) 10 days to 2 weeks works for me. Eggs and milk are the reason to go more frequently, usually, and I don't need to buy them.

Potatoes, are in the root cellar, and I just bring in a couple of days worth at a time.....same with onions. Garlic hangs in the kitchen. Apples in the entry to the root cellar. All of those I buy in the fall in huge bags and crates.

From the store....Bananas, avacado, oranges on the counter and don't last but a few days. Other fresh produce goes in the fridge.

I think because I shop closer to every two weeks, the fresh stuff gets gobbled down quick and doesn't have a chance to go to waste....everyone is excited to see it. Summertime, when the garden is producing, the overages go to the chickens and for goat treats :)

You know I never thought of having a preference in temperature, regarding my fruit! Lol!!

alexsmom
12-25-2015, 04:53 PM
I hate shopping in general, but we go through 4 half gallons of milk in half a week. Only so much milk you want in your fridge at a time. So stuff gets picked up on way back from therapies.

I was browsing real estate with land last week (for fun), saw a garage with attached 1800sf workshop, thought *oooh thats where my still and canning goes!* Plus those extra freezers. Maybe dig in and make a root cellar there too while Im at it. ;)
A girl can dream, right?

ejsmom
12-26-2015, 04:56 PM
I put potatoes, onions, garlic in baskets on floor of pantry and fruit (usually apples, lemons, limes, pears, avocados, peppers) in a large round shallow basket I got at Ikea (lined with a pretty cotton napkin) on the kitchen island.

TFZ
12-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Rachel Ray stuff was all around 60% off today on Amazon, so I picked up these: Amazon.com: Rachael Ray Stoneware 1-1/4-Quart and 2-1/4-Quart Oval Bubble & Brown Baker Set, Orange: Baking Dishes: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HBWL5I?keywords=rachel%20ray%20bubble%20and%20 brown&qid=1451172303&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1) in the green. Cute enough to leave on the counter with fruit and veggies. Plus I love anything with a dual purpose.