PDA

View Full Version : Hello from S. Korea... Germany-bound at end of year

JinxieFox
03-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Well, I've seen this site before and finally joined. :) I see many familiar names too!

I'm a Pagan homeschooling mom of a 7-year-old son. My husband is a UU and in the military. At the moment we are in S. Korea; our next move it to Germany at the end of the year.

We use The Well-Trained Mind for our overall structure and materials, and the Charlotte Mason method for how we "do" our school our school time, nature study, and for additional resources. We have homeschooled since the start and plan to continue until our son is 16.

Moving frequently was actually not a factor in our decision, but it is nice to not have to worry about changing schools, completing a school year for a transcript, etc.

Our decision is partially academic and partially religious, e.g. we want to be able to present both the theory of evolution and the belief system of creationism, so our son can see both sides and come to his own conclusion about what makes the most sense.

Very glad to be here and plan on exploring more over the weekend.

Wendy

Topsy
03-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the site, Wendy! Glad you jumped in and introduced yourself. I had never thought about the advantages of homeschooling for those who move often - - but it definitely makes sense. I changed schools a few times growing up and it was always kind of traumatic. You'll find a good many other CM homeschoolers here...be sure to join the Charlotte Mason group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=18) and the Military Homeschoolers group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=4)! Look forward to learning more about you and your family!

Topsy

Snoopy
03-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Wendy and welcome to SH! Do you have a blog? I think I read a blog recently from a homeschooling mom that was pagan and on a military base in S. Korea... I'm curious as to how military families homeschool... what state's guidelines are you supposed to follow (if any) as far as record-keeping, evaluations, etc? My husband was in the Army before I met him and also stationed in Germany for a while. His 2 daughters were born there, as a matter of fact.

JinxieFox
03-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks Topsy! Love your blog, by the way. I will look at both groups right now.

Snoopy, I do have a blog - http://freya-betweentheworlds.blogspot.com/ - thank you for asking!

Most military families are not beholden to any state. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I was told by the homeschooling point-of-contact here that we don't have to report to anybody. Still, I report to our state of residence, only because I would rather have a record (our state doesn't require much at all), than have people asking questions.

I hear Germany is beautiful and cannot wait to live there!

Snoopy
03-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi again, I really liked your blog post on socialization and behavior. "There is a huge difference between letting children be children, and letting children do whatever they want." might be my new favorite quote :)

Closeacademy
03-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Just wanted to say "Hi."

JinxieFox
03-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi Christy, and thanks! :)

Jamisina
03-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Ciao! Welcome to the board! We too are living overseas (Italia)! I started a group on here for International Homeschoolers-focusing on Americans living overseas. I don't know of anybody else on here that is in our situation, but hopefully I'll have some others joining soon!

If I may ask, where are you going in Germany? My husband is in Heidlberg this week-poor guy!;-)

Safe travels!!!

JinxieFox
03-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Hi Jamisina,

We will be at Ramstein Air Base, although I expect to spend a LOT of time in Italy, where I have family. (Guess I better start speaking Italian!) Thanks for the welcome. I will look for the group.

Wendy

CroppinMom
03-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Wendy,

Welcome to the site! Every day there seem to be more people popping up and participating - it's been amazing!