PDA

View Full Version : Books for an eleven year old (preferably obscure)?

Mrs. Patmore
11-30-2015, 07:55 PM
I just wrote down two books from the "advanced eight year old" thread, but I also need a book for his eleven year old sister! (They are not my kids, but I buy them Christmas gifts.)

The eleven year old is very bright, but doesn't care for adult subject matter (romance, politics, etc.). She has read almost every kids' book written, so obscure, older suggestions are most welcome. She likes mysteries and stories about school life, but other subjects are fine, too.

murphs_mom
11-30-2015, 08:16 PM
The Anne of Green Gables series was popular with my 9yo. She was okay w/the Little House books, but didn't care for A Wrinkle in Time. Her favorites, however, seem to be Rick Riordan/Greek mythology lately.

inmom
11-30-2015, 09:31 PM
At that age, my dd loved Agatha Christie mysteries. "And Then There Were None" is excellent as a starter. Also, my dd loved the understated snide comments that would come out of Miss Marple in those series of Agatha Christie mysteries.

alexsmom
11-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Im a believer in indoctrinating kids into Pratchett books. ;)
The Wee Free Men is the first in a series of (5) books about a young witch growing up and learning about the (Disc)world.
https://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/book/the-wee-free-men/

Another book with a badass heroine is Hero and The Crown - first in a trilogy I think. It has a smidgen of romance, and an Oh My I Wasnt Expecting That moment, but okay.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_and_the_Crown

Im into the swords and magic and dragon genre, for sure, though. And girls that arent passive. Enough role models of that already.

ejsmom
11-30-2015, 11:08 PM
The Great Brain series, and The Mad Scientists' Club were hits here.

inmom
12-01-2015, 06:13 AM
Yes, yes, yes...the Terry Prachett books!

fastweedpuller
12-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Science, girls' roles: The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate and The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

Mystery for kids:
The Mysterious Benedict Society (all the books) by Trenton Lee Stewart
Chasing Vermeer by Brett Helquist
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

These are faves of my 11yo dd