PDA

View Full Version : Online credits & degrees

SoylentGreen
11-14-2015, 04:15 PM
I was investigating ways to finish my own degree, and came across some sites that may be of interest to those with older kids.

straighterline.com -You can take online courses for credit, and transfer them to a variety of colleges

Aleks.com -Online classes for credit

Saylor.org -More online classes for credit. This seems to be the cheapest option.

Plus CLEP, AP, and DSST tests for credit.

A lot of this looks geared toward online schools and "adult" learners that need to check off a box, so they can get to their next level professionally. I'm betting, however, there is some benefit here for homeschool high school kids. Maybe an easier/cheaper way for some to knock out gen ed requirements, or get a 2 year degree to transfer somewhere else?

I haven't personally used the sites I listed, so I can't speak to the quality of instruction. I will probably try a few online courses next year, once I get my old transcripts and figure out where I stand.

Mariam
11-14-2015, 04:53 PM
You have to be careful with these credits if you are using them for college. Many colleges will not accept them for credit. You should check with the college you want to transfer the credits to and make sure, get it in writing, that they will accept them. Otherwise you may be spending time and money for nothing. The only online classes I would take are from a legitimate, accredited college that may offer online classes. More and more, you can find a local community colleges and public 4 year colleges offering online classes and online degrees.

SoylentGreen
11-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Of course, you'll have to map out a plan to make sure you are heading in the right direction, and aren't wasting money on classes you don't need. I looked at some of the partner colleges on these sites, and they are regionally accredited, not a fly-by-night kind of thing.

Sweiston
11-26-2015, 07:37 AM
I have enjoyed positive experience with online school programs. I think that they are becoming more and more popular. I expect that they will be the norm.