PDA

View Full Version : New Like System for Updated Site Theme

Topsy
11-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi SHS'ers. You asked, and we have found a solution! Although the post "Like" system we previously had on the site was associated with our now-retired theme, we've found a solution for the new theme.

Now, the ability to "Like" a post is directly below the post itself. And in your user profile, you can now view the likes by date! Plus, you'll still be notified of likes in your notifications.

Because we are installing a brand new plugin with this, your site notifications will likely show a TON of likes the next time you log in because it's counting all your likes from the beginning of time. You should feel VERY appreciated when you see those! :D

I'm including screenshots of this as links here, since our image upload is still wonky. Contractor is working on that bug today.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3vWK5-IPSrsQnp6V1pmeTRtbDQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3vWK5-IPSrsZXFLNjg4bjE5MUE/view?usp=sharing

RTB
11-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Yay, Thanks!

inmom
11-11-2015, 10:18 AM
Just had to "Like" your post, Topsy. Tee hee......

muddylilly
11-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the like button's return, Topsy. :)

I see that there is a "dislike counter" there too.....can we dislike now? Oh, do tell!

ElizabethK
11-11-2015, 01:20 PM
I'm glad the likes are back!

Marmalade
11-11-2015, 04:39 PM
ah, now I can read in peace.

Topsy
11-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the like button's return, Topsy. :)

I see that there is a "dislike counter" there too.....can we dislike now? Oh, do tell!

It's a teaser, for sure, but I'm using the free "Lite" version. They throw in the teaser of dislikes to get you to upgrade. When I win the lottery, I swear that will be my first purchase, though. :_lol:

murphs_mom
11-11-2015, 06:18 PM
Jump online to find 2,966 notifications...ya'll have been busy, haven't ya? On the downside, I still don't see a 'like' button. Do I need to log out and log back in?

muddylilly
11-11-2015, 06:40 PM
The like option appears in it's own little "bar" beneath each individual posting......see it? Look for the little thumb :)

murphs_mom
11-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Thanks, ML. It's very faint on my screen...guess I need to learn to look to the left AND adjust the screen settings. :/

Topsy
11-18-2015, 01:01 PM
A fun little "trick" I came across in regards to our new Like system today?

Want to view the threads with the most likes? Click here: http://www.secularhomeschool.com/thanks.php?do=hottest
Want to feel good about yourself and see which users have gotten/given the most likes? Click here: http://www.secularhomeschool.com/thanks.php?do=statistics

:_applaud::_applaud::_applaud:

Topsy
11-18-2015, 02:58 PM
No, your eyes aren't deceiving you...you can now choose THREE different options in the new Like system. The contractor helped me understand that there was a setting I was simply missing with it. I ask you, however, to use the new options VERY carefully. I hesitated even turning on the Dislike system, and if things go negative with it, I probably will. I mean who actually WANTS their posts "disliked"?? NOT me. I'd prefer people to simply ignore what they don't like and move on. And yes, I do understand that if someone is posting about something THEY dislike that for you to use the "dislike" button could mean you are commiserating with them, but really, I'm just not sure even that is worth it. :_s::_s::_s:

With that said, we'll play with it for a little while and see how it goes.

Also, to answer the question about "Unclicking" an icon you've clicked - - even if you clicked it accidentally - - , that definitely is not possible in this version, so again, I ask you to click VERY carefully, okay?

muddylilly
11-18-2015, 03:54 PM
I think the "dislike" will be helpful on the wildly popular "hater thread" :) Now we can sympathize! I always hated the idea of "liking" a post there.

alexsmom
11-18-2015, 04:02 PM
Hah as long as we know its a supportive dislike!

I was thinking - geesh, there must be some vicious forums out there!

I think it might get confusing.

And Im so happy I refound that *one of those cool little moments* thread based on top likes. We need those back in general rotation!

muddylilly
11-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Hmmm....yeah, I see your point.....if someone reads something else into it, I suppose.....

murphs_mom
11-26-2015, 07:40 AM
And yes, I do understand that if someone is posting about something THEY dislike that for you to use the "dislike" button could mean you are commiserating with them, but really, I'm just not sure even that is worth it. :_s::_s::_s:

Do you have the option to change the "Dislike" text to something more commiserator-friendly like "Hugs"?

Topsy
11-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Do you have the option to change the "Dislike" text to something more commiserator-friendly like "Hugs"?

GREAT question! I don't think so, but I will def check!

Topsy
11-29-2015, 11:29 AM

DONE!! Let the hugs begin!!

ElizabethK
11-29-2015, 11:35 AM
DONE!! Let the hugs begin!!

Love it!! Hugs are so much better than dislike!

murphs_mom
11-29-2015, 11:44 AM
STFD! Too awesome!

Now, can we put in that request for a virtual pitcher of sangria or a chocolate bar? :p

ElizabethK
11-29-2015, 11:52 AM
STFD! Too awesome!

Now, can we put in that request for a virtual pitcher of sangria or a chocolate bar? :p

Oooh, virtual margaritas.....