PDA

View Full Version : Site makeover thread - - any glitches? (11/10/15)

Topsy
11-10-2015, 10:46 AM
For those of you who are regulars at SHS, you've certainly noticed by now that our site update has finally gone live! We have an updated theme and will soon have a brand new curriculum directory and review/rating system as well.

Now we could use YOUR help. Along with every transition like this one, there are some unforseen glitches. We admins are trying to catch them all, but we might miss some. That's where you come in. If you notice anything "wonky" in your site experience, please share it in this thread ASAP so aandwsmom and I can look into it, okay?

Here are the things we already KNOW about, and have the contractor working on:

Mobile menu (the site menu on mobile devices) is incomplete
"Like" button has disappeared for posts
Notifications pop-up is difficult to read

Thanks for your input, SHS'ers!!

alexsmom
11-10-2015, 11:40 AM
I see text responses that are all different sizes and styles.
http://www.secularhomeschool.com/homeschooling-issues/17555-divorce-homeschool.html#post202992

And it says my screenshot exceeds allowed file size :(

Also, when the *educational sponsors* sidebar is showing, search results for *New Posts* dont fit on one line.
Again, a screenshot wouldve been helpful, but theyre verboten. :(

Topsy
11-10-2015, 11:45 AM
I see text responses that are all different sizes and styles.
http://www.secularhomeschool.com/homeschooling-issues/17555-divorce-homeschool.html#post202992

And it says my screenshot exceeds allowed file size :(

Alexsmom, feel free to email me that because I'm not seeing any different sizes or text on my end. Thanks.

alexsmom
11-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Cant attach images in email.

TFZ
11-10-2015, 12:01 PM
This is probably my own problem - I changed the style back to SHS and the site looks exactly the same. Except for little differences in the menu and of course the notorious missing like button.

What is new and exciting?

PS I also tried to put a screenshot in and it says that the pic cannot exceed 19.5kb. So I can't show you all of the old timey awesomeness that I can see.

pdpele
11-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Like the new design...but the green color in the thread titles and usernames is pretty difficult to read. Black or much darker green or thicker font might help.

fastweedpuller
11-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Like the new design...but the green color in the thread titles and usernames is pretty difficult to read. Black or much darker green or thicker font might help.
TFZ taught me today about the themes drop-down box in the lower left corner: you can pick your theme and get rid of the green if you with vB Default I think :)

CrazyMom
11-10-2015, 03:15 PM
One thing I LOVE about the new look....it's nice to be able to minimize the ads and other stuff I don't like looking at on the right. Click the little minus signs...and POOF! all the annoying stuff is gone. Nice!

groovymom2000
11-10-2015, 03:58 PM
TFZ taught me today about the themes drop-down box in the lower left corner: you can pick your theme and get rid of the green if you with vB Default I think :)

Thank you! The green was killing my old eyes for some reason. I like the new color, but it wasn't working for me, sadly.

alexsmom
11-10-2015, 04:22 PM
LOL CM you could always get rid of that side banner! I like it cuz I can see the most recent posts, in case I miss something on New Posts.

farrarwilliams
11-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Overall, I think it's good. I strongly second that the colors need some tweaking though. The font for the titles of the posts is very light on my screen. There's not enough contrast. Similarly, the white on the darker green is okay, just just okay (for example, I'm seeing that above me with "Quick Reply" in white on the green bar) - there's still not enough contrast, IMHO. Or the green title at the top of this thread - "Site Makeover -- Any Glitches?" is another where the contrast could be better - it's green on pale green. Or the icons next to the blog entries or forum posts in the sidebar - I can barely see those because of contrast issues.

Just with a quick poke around, I think this is the biggest issue. Often computer people are designing on really sleek screens (which makes sense) but these contrast issues are worse on the screens of us folks with cheaper laptops and older screens.

quabbin
11-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Notifications is showing things *I* have liked -- so I had over 500.

Starkspack
11-12-2015, 08:08 PM
On the home page, on the right-hand side, there used to be a box with recent Group posts. That seems to have disappeared and now I'm seeing just ads along that side. I loved having the "Recent Group posts" there - it was a faster way to get to the groups than using the drop down then scrolling to find my group.

I agree on the color scheme needing more contrast. Glad I'm not the only one having trouble reading it, ha ha!

Overall, I like the direction, and I like that there is the possibility for "disliking" and "thanking" for a thread in addition to liking. Though I haven't figured out (maybe not working yet?) how to do that yet.

Mariam
11-12-2015, 08:50 PM
I can't upload images to the Groups. I can only do it from a URL, but not from my computer.

Topsy
11-12-2015, 10:06 PM
I loved having the "Recent Group posts" there - it was a faster way to get to the groups than using the drop down then scrolling to find my group.

I hadn't even noticed that...thanks for bringing that to attention. That should definitely be an easy fix!

Topsy
11-12-2015, 10:07 PM
I'll definitely bring up the contrasting color issues with the contractor to see if those can be tweaked. Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone!

muddylilly
11-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Topsy, I'd like to respectfully disagree with Starkspack. I wish the recent group posts were not on the home page. I feel I might not be alone :)

Mariam
11-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Actually I agree with muddylily. The groups are the rogue version of the forums. Or at least the most popular one is. Maybe there is a more discrete but easy access place for the forums?

CrazyMom
11-12-2015, 11:21 PM
I'm with Mariam and Muddylilly. The Debate groups discussions are a little more goofy and informal....more about chatting amongst ourselves and having a little fun than actual homeschool stuff. And we do post there a lot...so it would dominate the new post feature....which might cause some confusion for newbies who are seeking stuff that is more about homeschool and less about dopplewangers:)

Keep us in the basement and feed us a bucket of fishheads twice a week.....

alexsmom
11-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Thanks CM. Im now humming the *They might be giants*? song about fishheads, fishheads, rolypoly fishheads.

I worry too, when recent group posts from deb haters would show up on the front page, to be seen by people looking for more dignified topics than dopplewangers and low hanging testicles.
Just saying.

I access new posts and groups quickly from my bookmarked page - bypassing the main page entirely (sorry).

Is there a way to make that particular group less apparent?

muddylilly
11-13-2015, 01:57 AM
Yep, We are too twisted for color TV! (Steel Magnolias, again) ;)

TFZ
11-13-2015, 07:21 AM
I reapectfully disagree. If I were new to the forums that group would be exactly what I was looking for. Debating, cursing, dopplewangers, all of it!

Topsy
11-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Topsy, I'd like to respectfully disagree with Starkspack. I wish the recent group posts were not on the home page. I feel I might not be alone :)

Is there a place you think those belong instead? Or are you wishing you did not see them at all?

muddylilly
11-13-2015, 10:40 AM
Are they visible to non-forum members? Or only to those that join the forum?

I, and probably the rest, don't want to exclude members.....but I think that non-members might not grasp our intent....until they get to know us. I'd like to not offend those that are sensitive, and give them a choice to not see our nonsense.

But it ain't my group.....

Topsy
11-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Just sent this by PM to muddylilly, but here's my decision on this one...

I think that people come to SHS for many, many different reasons, but for the sake of this discussion, let's generalize and break it down into 2 main ones. For INFO and for COMMUNITY. The info peeps basically hit the home page and the curriculum directory, and the resources, and hopefully hit a few of our ads along the way. ;) Sometimes they are not even secular, but kinda faith-based homeschoolers looking for secular science curriculum, or people who just heard about our free weekly planner or whatev.

The community peeps tend to head RIGHT to the forum. They are seeking out like-minded folks, have serious questions, or just have a few minutes to hang and don't want to be bothered by articles and resources and crap. :D

I think the Groups are only going to appeal to the latter demographic. But at the same time, our Groups reflect at least part of who we are as a SHS family, and I don't wanna hide that. So, my compromise is that I think I'm going to put the most recent Groups posts on the FORUM sidebar instead of the homepage sidebar. The forum is where most of our community hang out anyway.

I've also been checking into how to add it to the Groups page itself, but so far haven't found an easy fix​for that.

alexsmom
11-13-2015, 11:13 AM
I see where it shows recent group discussions, it only is showing the first post of the threads, not the most current.
So thats a good thing, for those of us not wanting to offend newcomers. :)
Starbucks cups show, not Diva cups as place setting labels.

Also, a shout out hi to lurkers: cyberbones, jibjabst (I used to love watching some of jibjabs stuff!), (always) Qreus, Merry (From Tolkein or just personality?), and Thomasbah.

muddylilly
11-13-2015, 11:16 AM
OH! Gah!! Sorry! Not the Diva Cup placeholders!!

Quadruple like buttons would be good too :)

HawaiiGeek
11-13-2015, 01:04 PM
It is a good thing I have not been drinking my coffee yet this am or it would have been all over the keyboard. You guys do make me laugh a lot!

muddylilly
11-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Topsy, I completely understand this is a work in progress.......but now the recent group posts is BOTH on the forum AND Welcome/home page. LOL!

It's so nice, you listed it twice!! :)

Mariam
11-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Can we tag people like we can in other social media sites?

Mariam
11-14-2015, 12:19 AM
Another question - How come we can see who views a forum thread, but we can't see who is viewing the group discussions?

Aandwsmom
11-14-2015, 12:33 AM
Unknown but I am sure we will figure it out for you! :D

Topsy
11-15-2015, 08:41 AM
Topsy, I completely understand this is a work in progress.......but now the recent group posts is BOTH on the forum AND Welcome/home page. LOL!

It's so nice, you listed it twice!! :)

Geez louise. Have I ever mentioned I'm easily distractable???!!! Got HALF-way through that fix, though. Woot!! :D

Topsy
11-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Another question - How come we can see who views a forum thread, but we can't see who is viewing the group discussions?

The "social groups" aspect of vBulletin (the forum software) was never fully "fleshed out" by the developers. That's why social groups aren't viewable on mobile, and are missing some of the other aspects of forum functionality.

Topsy
11-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Can we tag people like we can in other social media sites?
Unfortunately, no.

Mariam
11-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Thanks for letting me know Topsy!

Mariam
11-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Here is an actual problem that I found: can't unlike a post. Once you click like, you can't undo it.

LKnomad
11-17-2015, 12:02 AM
Just wanted to say that the broken what's new button on the mobile app is WORKING again!!!!!! It had been messed up for several months and now is back in business with the new changes. Yay!

Topsy
11-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Here is an actual problem that I found: can't unlike a post. Once you click like, you can't undo it.

I'll have to check into that one. May not be a feature in the "lite" version either.

Mariam
11-17-2015, 03:09 PM
I'll have to check into that one. May not be a feature in the "lite" version either.

I was able to "unlike" posts previously.