PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast for a crowd

murphs_mom
10-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Literally...we're talking about 30-40 people. Has to be portable cause it's for work. I'm looking for something 'different' but not too out there. I'm just tired of the donuts & bagel routine, and it's my turn to bring breakfast to work. A quiche or two is doable. I'm also looking at this:

Sleepin? in Omelette | The Pioneer Woman (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/sleepin-in-omlette/)

and this:

Orange-Vanilla Monkey Bread | The Pioneer Woman (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/orange-vanilla-monkey-bread/)

but haven't decided.

I have a large electric skillet (could do 9 pancakes at a time-size) and a pressure cooker/slow cooker-type pot to work with if needed. I'm also thinking of maybe a small, simple bowl of mixed fresh fruit for those who are vegan/diabetic/GF.

Anyone got a crowd pleaser that's of a breakfast nature?

TFZ
10-22-2015, 07:35 PM
Ooooh I do!

I made one from Pinterest. It's a egg wreath thing. Made by putting those crescent rolls in a circle, topping them with scrambled eggs and bacon (or not bacon) and cheese (or not cheese). It's great hot or room temp, lol. Super greasy and horrible for you, I'm sure!

Or muffins. I'll never pass up a muffin.

Will return with the link for the egg thing.

Here ya go: http://www.navywifecook.com/2012/01/bacon-egg-and-cheese-ring.html
Ends up looking pretty fancy for something so easy.

alexsmom
10-22-2015, 08:28 PM
I love making (well, eating) a hybrid between these two Alton Brown recipes:
Spiced Bread Pudding Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/spiced-bread-pudding-recipe.html)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chocolate-bread-pudding-recipe.html

Going a little overboard with the spiced version with mixins of dried cherries and chocolate chips, placed in the big baking dish instead of a bread bowl - super tasty.

Shoe
10-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Nothing terribly creative, but I love pancakes and bacon-both easy to fry up in large quantities. I'll admit I'm kind of boring, but I think I am fair,y representative of most of North American society...at least when it comes to mass breakfast foods...and (unfortunately) I do like to eat. I'm also a big fan of breakfast English muffins with fried eggs and bacon (or sausage) but that is harder to do en masse.

Now I'm hungry and think I'll fry me up some bacon and eggs for supper...maybe with a pancake side. Oh, how I wish I was creative and could recommend a pancake fortress with bacon ramparts, and catapults made of spoons with raspberry stones inside them and whipped cream bushes on the outside, and little almonds as atrackers and defenders...and 8'm not sure what else...but I know I'd come for breakfast.

(Or a cantaloupe volcano filled with berries and nuts and topped with whipped cream smoke oozing over the top...I really am terribly hungry now)

Monkey bread...you can't go wrong. Cinnamon, butter, bread...how wonderful is that?

Sorry...what were you asking?

Mariam
10-22-2015, 08:35 PM
I love eggs so a quiche or the sleeping in casserole sounds great.

I have seen these recipes for over-night crock-pot oatmeal. That would help with the vegan folks and those who don't like eggs. I haven't tried it, but I am sure someone here has.

Shoe
10-22-2015, 09:06 PM
I love eggs so a quiche or the sleeping in casserole sounds great.

I have seen these recipes for over-night crock-pot oatmeal. That would help with the vegan folks and those who don't like eggs. I haven't tried it, but I am sure someone here has.

Crock pot oatmeal cooked in vanilla almond milk with a bit of cinnamon and served with a topping of blackberries and almonds with a bit of almond milk...mmmm

Maybe with a side of ripe, fresh, sliced peaches and a pot of a good strong dark roast black coffee. There's a good vegan meal that would satisfy.

Oh, how hungry I am now. :(

muddylilly
10-22-2015, 09:47 PM
Careful with the overnight oatmeal in a crockpot. I was sooo wanting to do that one xmas morning.....we love oatmeal. And I thought it would be easy and done and ready to go. Ended up with the bottom 2 inches baked firm to the bottom. And YES, I followed the recipe to a T and use my crockpot regularly.

I just wouldn't recommend it for a group IF it's the first time doing it......might be a trial and error thing. Plan B is not fun when you have a bunch of hungry people waiting :)

Sounds like it's time for a trip to Costco, Carolyn!!

Mariam
10-22-2015, 10:26 PM
Sounds like it's time for a trip to Costco, Carolyn!!

I love Costco, for everything.

muddylilly
10-22-2015, 10:37 PM
How about a build your own breakfast parfait bar?

Couple of different granolas
yogurt or applesauce (or both)
couple of fruit choices or fruit salad

alexsmom
10-23-2015, 12:25 AM
Mmmm and Alton Brown has 10 minute* microwaveable apple sauce, too. Is a hit every year I bring it to school potluck. (I sometimes make it without augmentation.)

10 Minute Apple Sauce Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/10-minute-apple-sauce-recipe.html)

*cooking is 10 mins. cooldown is an hour or two.

murphs_mom
10-25-2015, 10:03 PM
Mmmm, lots to think about! Thanks, folks.

Costco is out...we've only got Sam's. A trip there is most likely on the list. I really like the DIY yogurt idea and can probably get most, if not all, of the ingredients there. I like the cheesy egg wheel idea, too. I'm just not sure how well it will hold up (real scrambled eggs tend to go gray/green if they stay on a steam table, for example). While I would love to feed these people pancakes & bacon, that's not going to happen; it's got to be ready and self-serve. :) Too much desk work to do.

The slow cooker oaties is intriguing. I may have to go check out Quaker's site to see if they have any large-group ideas.

Thanks again! I'll be thinking of you all when I'm up at 3am to make breakfast on Friday morning! :p

ejsmom
10-25-2015, 11:45 PM
We make a casserole with bread chunks, sausage (or ham or bacon), an egg/milk mixture (like french toast), and shredded cheese, all layered together. It soaks overnight and then you pop it in the oven and it bakes up delicious!

When I've hosted brunches in the past I make a 2 variations of that with a variety of quiches, and baked oatmeal (basically an oatmeal cake - you can put fruit, chocolate chips, nuts, etc in it.) Baked oatmeal is served here in all the PA Dutch restaurants, and it's a family favorite. You eat it like oatmeal - topped with milk, maple syrup or brown sugar. Apples and Pecans, pears and walnuts, peaches and almonds, banana and chocolate chip, the possibilities are endless and we you can eat it warm or cold. It microwaves up beautifully to warm it. I make pans and pans of it all the time because it's great for a quick breakfast or snack.

aselvarial
10-26-2015, 01:07 AM
I LOVE homemade cinnamon rolls. I made the sourdough version when I was going through my weird make everything from scratch phase, and now i have a hard time eating regular cinnamon rolls. :( But omg they were awesome. although they are exceptionally time consuming.

You could always do an oatmeal bar. Make up basic oatmeal packets, with your quick oatmeal, have some seasoned with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, etc, have really hot water on hand (if you have a coffee pot available, boom hot water) and a bunch of toppings like raisins, nuts, fruit, etc. Actually, that would work well with the yogurt bar as well. :-) Everyone can make it up just the way they want it.

Being a southern girl, I'm partial to biscuits!

murphs_mom
10-26-2015, 01:25 AM
Oatmeal bar would be good, but there are no bowls...I'd have to supply those. And I HATE the instant packets of oatmeal. I tried them once and thought they were nasty. A bit like what I imagine eating wallpaper paste would be like. Granted, that was roughly 30y ago, but I doubt it's improved much. There's a hot water tap on the coffee maker (it's a large 3-pot commercial coffee maker w/5gal water bottle thing on top) and a microwave, so doing regular oats is a possibility. But then I'm back to the bowls issue.

I think I saw the baked oatmeal recipe on Quaker's site...does that have eggs in it? If so, I saw the recipe. It sounded interesting, EJsmom.

Biscuits were definitely on my original list cause I have a variety of jellies we made earlier this summer. Then I started thinking about scones (a bit more upscale?). And then I got all befuddled with the choices.

Too many breakfast yummies. Too little time.

ejsmom
10-26-2015, 10:51 AM
Carolyn, this is the same, or similar, to what I make, without me actually getting up to get the recipe and check. I just change out the cranberries with other fruits and nuts. Another twist is to gently heat the milk and let it steep with chai tea bags in it before using it in the recipe. You have to make it strong, and then I add cardamom and such to spice the recipe up a bit. That's trial and error until you find the way you like it. This time of year we like pumpkin, pumpkin seed, dried apple bits, and pecans in ours. Or make it plain and have fruits, nuts, coconut, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, etc, for toppings. It's super easy to make. And you could eat it broken up in disposable cups.

ejsmom
10-26-2015, 10:51 AM
Ooops! here it is Baked Oatmeal II Recipe - Allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/51013/baked-oatmeal-ii/)

RTB
10-26-2015, 11:05 AM
Ooops! here it is Baked Oatmeal II Recipe - Allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/51013/baked-oatmeal-ii/)

I do a baked oatmeal too. Super easy and tasty (and cheap!). Our favorite is chocolate chips (vs fruit) and coconut oil (for the butter).

I never have made a vegan version (and aside from a non-dairy beverage, and different oil) you could try egg replacer or maybe a couple tablespoons ground flax seeds soaked in water for the eggs.

pdpele
10-26-2015, 01:48 PM
Has anyone suggested breakfast burritos? Easy to serve on a table assembly-line style. Warmers needed, of course, for scrambled eggs, sausage and/or bacon. Can easily be vegetarian as well. Especially if you can find roasted green chilies. Salsa, sour cream, cheese, good tortillas.

drehstdu
10-26-2015, 03:51 PM
Going to chime in for the baked oatmeal. The recipes do usually have eggs in them. Our favorites are from budget bytes. Pumpkin pie baked oatmeal and apple pie baked oatmeal are two of our favorites

Free Thinker
10-26-2015, 04:01 PM
What about coffee cakes? Blueberry or a cinnamon? I make amazing cinnamon rolls, but making enough for 40 people would be a double batch. I make an overnight French Toast that is baked in the oven, but you'd need quite a bit of that, too. Muffins of various varieties would probably be the simplest ;)