PDA

View Full Version : How would you describe you kids? Do you home school to meet special needs?

CrazyMom
10-17-2015, 10:51 AM
People home school for a lot of reasons. I've noticed there's a pretty mixed bag of reasons for homeschooling here at SHS...which is kinda awesome. Lots of perspectives and lots of help:)

I wondered if you'd mind sharing if there are any special needs that influence your home school decision? I thought it would be interesting to look at a graph of where we're all coming from when we stop by this site. Might increase understanding and help to address people's needs.

If you have several children, could you please choose "Mixed group" and make a notation of how many kids might fall into the different areas?

ejsmom
10-17-2015, 01:03 PM
I have a kid who is labeled gifted and challenged. Now. In the past, he had many special needs (other than learning challenges) years ago when we started homeschooling, that consisted of a range of physical, social, and behavioral issues that requires many medical appointments and therapies. Those are now resolved. But we still juggle the accelerated learning with learning disabilities.

quabbin
10-17-2015, 01:20 PM
I actually don't know.

He's brightish and imaginative but doesn't strike me as necessarily gifted; learns social/behavioral stuff very slowly but has not been labeled, and he blends in best with younger kids (so his height is a bit of a disadvantage); his preschool teacher seemed to consider him an odd duck. He can be very lovey but is not compliant; is very curious but doesn't want to have to do much to get the information he wants; likes a high rate of activity but not necessarily out of the normal range.

I'm hesitant to call him an average/typical kid because he just doesn't quite seem like them, but on the other hand, he's never been declared otherwise, except having been premature.

CrazyMom
10-17-2015, 01:56 PM
My kiddo has some academic talent, but pretty much within the typical spectrum. Pretty average kid with lots of academic moxie and determination.

HawaiiGeek
10-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Since DS 13 is currently in PS - I didn't count him in the mix. DS7 might be advanced, certainly seems ahead of his siblings at the same age, but haven't tested him, so he really would be the first, but DD has been the one that we find the homeschooling is the best for and she definitely has some learning differences so she is the one that marked for learning issues, no social or behavioral.

inmom
10-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Pretty typical here. Smart enough, and motivated (eventually), but definitely not gifted.

I tend to believe that any difference may be that they've been exposed to more, seen more, and done more than their same age cohorts--largely due to the flexibility of homeschooling.

Oksana
10-17-2015, 06:08 PM
Mine are a mixed bag:

DD7 - physical disability (CP), which affects her learning, especially her visual problems, slow processing and poor memory.

DD6 - academically advanced. I do not know what is 'MENSA range' or 'different level of cognition', but I know for sure that she would be 'slowed down/dumbed down' even if placed 1-2 grades ahead.

DD3 - so far a pretty typical 3yo.

alexsmom
10-18-2015, 10:15 AM
DS9 - Pretty typical for smarts, I think troubles with behavior are typical too, Im waiting for him to grow out of it. ;)

DS3 - Big neurological / motor planning issue, but he surprises me with how internally motivated he is. Maybe when everything is hard, you just try harder at it all? Hes teaching himself to read, currently. I have no idea what homeschooling him will be like.

Riceball_Mommy
10-18-2015, 10:57 AM
My daughter possibly has dyslexia, almost sure of that, and definitely sure she has anxiety. Not super advanced in anything, massively behind in reading words off a page, but ahead in comprehension. Really reading is the only subject where there is an issue. And math is the only other thing we actually follow levels for.

muddylilly
10-18-2015, 12:50 PM
typical...;)

Avalon
10-18-2015, 12:59 PM
I picked "neurotypical" even though my daughter technically has dyscalculia. I don't really see it as a big issue. The main reason for getting the assessment was to get some accommodations in place when she started high school - essentially more time for tests and use of a calculator. I think that 30 years ago she just would have been a kid who was really bad at math.

Riceball_Mommy
10-18-2015, 01:07 PM
I forgot to add that we didn't start homeschooling to address either issue. We just started homeschooling because I wanted to, I wanted to spend more time with her. Now that we are homeschooling I can see how it's easy for me to accommodate her, where as I think a public school might have a hard time. I also think she's strong willed and independent which isn't really an issue for me but probably would be public school.

Collin
10-19-2015, 05:21 AM
My boys are both pretty close to typical.

One would qualify for MENSA or most gifted programs, but he's not accelerated across the board or a kid who stands out as being incredibly gifted.

The other has a medical condition that causes vision problems and some other issues, but he is much more mildly affected than most. At this point, he has caught up in most of the areas where he previously had delays (still doing OT for fine motor, but, these days, who isn't?), and I don't see any red flags for learning issues. His biggest struggle right now is trying to play sports that involve small flying objects.

I don't think my younger son's issues directly influenced my decision to homeschool, but they may have made me into the type of parent who would even consider homeschooling.

crunchynerd
10-30-2015, 08:52 PM
So far, we have Sarah Crewe who is growing up Blossom; Whatever Gonzo Is, with some Rowdy Roddy Piper and some seriously intense interests in physics and philosophy, along with a lot of asynchronies; Little Lord Fauntleroy, and then The Baby, who is still TBA, but so far seems built more of Gonzo's cloth than Lord Fauntleroy's.

But we'll see.

All have food allergies, and all are bright. One in particular is really Out There. Two are Really Creative and Artistic. Not sure about the baby yet. Time will tell.

farrarwilliams
10-30-2015, 09:56 PM
NT, though ds has anxiety issues, I don't especially think of him as a child with "social issues." I think NT describes him much better.

MNDad
10-31-2015, 08:46 AM
pretty typical here though we HS mostly because of DDs music - can't imagine how we'd do it if PS were the only option. makes you wonder what latent talents are out there but are suppressed or stunted because of the one-size-fits-all structure of traditional school...

pdpele
10-31-2015, 11:21 AM
Homeschooling b/c school environment didn't work for my DS 8. He has some challenges, adhd and sensory issues, and a big personality (runs in the family on all sides). But 2 years in and if I had a totally typical kiddo, I'd homeschool him/her too. For my DS, I think his issues saved him from school! Saved us all really, we love family life now. LOL.

MNDad - I bet you're on to something. I'm thinking that we can focus on a few things that are really important to DS and really get the most out of our choice to HS.

RTB
10-31-2015, 02:51 PM
Both of mine are typical. Bright in some areas, slower in others.

CrazyGooseLady
11-01-2015, 12:39 AM
Initially...my daughter was advanced, and the the wonderful teacher she had for 1st grade kept saying "Don't expect this every year." So...I looked into K12 and liked it and started her in 2nd grade.

Which was also the year my son was supposed to do kinder. We were going to have him go to the school, while I taught his sister and cared for little brother. But...he got the same teacher big sister had who did not like special needs kids. He got speech and OT, and loved to hug, AND he moved...constantly, due to vision issues that caused him to see in double vision. The school would not switch him, and I didn't want him in there for even a day. This one, once he got his vision therapy and speech therapy has flown. Still some issues with writing, but getting more minor each year. Was diagnosed as ADHD but not yet on medications. Family doctor said that after the improvements with vision therapy he would need full screening again for ADHD before he would prescribe meds. This kid is also my documented Mensa kid. He had an IQ test for his IEP and scored very high.

3rd child, son, he wanted to go to kinder after watching Sid The Science Kid. He had some differences...that people poo-pooed. Well, after struggling for a couple of years I had him evaluated and he is dyslexic. He is coming along well now. Still working on those phonics in 5th grade because of memory issues that go with dyslexia, but it is finally sticking. When he was IQ tested, he tested low...but I think it is more the memory because honestly...I don't see a huge difference with him and his brother and sister. The things that the memory impacts can be helped with technology. He IS smart, and just as smart as his brother and sister, only in different ways than the tests measure.

Each of my kids has different strengths and weaknesses. My older two test really high for Lexile. Youngest has some pretty amazing abilities to recognize spatial stuff...how Legos go together, how to put stuff together. He solved all the levels of Dragon Box when he was 7....before me. (Dragon Box is an algebra app.) At the time he couldn't tell you how many fingers he had. He is very much a visual learner and a natural builder. I think he would score higher on the ASVAB (military SAT type test) than the other two because of his visual spatial abilities. Oldest is currently having some anxiety issues when having to present to others. Middle has issue with writing - it is REALLY hard for him, probably is disgraphia. ALL of my kids are working hard to address the things that need to be addressed.

aselvarial
11-01-2015, 01:09 AM
Our son is nocturnal in a diurnal world. All 3 of us are. He's also much more hands on learner and does absolutely horrible with standard workbook teaching.

LKnomad
11-01-2015, 02:16 AM
DS 13 - Very bright - probably highly gifted but LDs cloud testing, ADHD, Dysgraphia, auditory processing, language delays, social issues
DS 17 - Highly gifted, ASD, no LDs, totally face blind, and just very different.

LKnomad
11-01-2015, 02:17 AM
Aselvarial I love your avatar. I miss Ianto Jones! Bring back Jack!!!!

aselvarial
11-02-2015, 03:34 AM
Lkomad, Me too! I was SO pissed they killed him I stopped watching the show. I saw the actor who played him at my second dragoncon. It was him and James Marsters! (oh swoon!) One of these days I will see John Barrowman! :-)

Btw, what is "face blind"?

Riceball_Mommy
11-02-2015, 10:18 AM
I had hard time with the Children of Earth series, I kind of regret watching it at all. Apparently an alternate universe Ianto survives in the comics though. I just looked up the character on Wikipedia because I wanted to make sure it was one of the many issues I took with that last series.

LKnomad
11-02-2015, 07:04 PM
I loved Children of Earth! I hated Miracle Day. Last Feb I attended our local Who con and 4 out of the 5 Torchwood actors were there, including John Barrowman. The only one missing was Ianto :(

I loved that they mentioned Jack last week during Doctor Who. It would be wonderful to get Lady Me and Jack together.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Aselvarial - Face blindness is something that is sort of difficult for me to understand but both my ASD sister and ASD son are face blind. My son told me many many times that he cannot picture people (or anything really) in his head. He cannot make pictures in his mind at all. When asked to draw a picture of his family as a child, he had no idea what we looked like, he could not describe anything about us, hair color, eye color, skin color. The memory was not there.

At the same time my son and sister often do not recognize people when they look at them, at all. My sister, after over 40 years of knowing me, still cannot pick me out of a crowd by how I look. She can recognize my voice, and how I walk, but cannot recognize my face. I can remember numerous times when she walked right past me in a crowd of people. My son is pretty similar. He says when he sits in a classroom of peers, until he hears someone's voice, he has no idea who they are, even if he has been in school with them for years. It is not just what people look like, when he was younger, he didn't know that people of differences races and ethnicities looked different. I was surprised when I realized that my son didn't know our neighbor, who he played with for a couple of years, was African American. His other friend was Asian, and my son didn't know what I meant when I said someone looked Asian. He didn't see the facial differences. He has since learned to look closely are notice these things, but he had to learn how.

I overheard an interesting discussion between my sister and son last week. They were discussing emoticons and smilies. My sister cannot recognize the facial experissions of smilies and has memorized them instead. For example she will notice a colon and a half parenthesis, and remind herself that it is supposed to be a smile or frown face, and not punctuation. She had to make a list of combinations so she could figure out if they were faces or grammar! Both my son and sister, were commenting that the one that always threw them off was the x for eyes. Neither of them picked up on that the first several times they saw it.

aselvarial
11-03-2015, 12:19 AM
Oh wow, learn something new every day. I had never heard of face blindness! I'll have to read up on it. My sister's husband is colorblind and I find it a fascinating thing but I hesitate to ask him about it because he's one of those exceptionally private ppl. I'm constantly reminding myself he can't see colors so don't tell him to "pick up the green one". :-)

Barrowman is at Dragoncon every year, he's just at the 11am panel and I live an hour away, plus there is a 2 hours line. I'd have to be up at 6am (and we are night owls. Next year, I'll live 10 minutes away so I definitely will see him! The ONLY 2 ppl I hated on Torchwood were Rhys and Gwen...and guess who DIDN'T die!?! :-) As for Doctor Who, my husband loves it. The first episode I watched was the first weeping angel episode. Consequently it was the last episode I watched.

LKnomad
11-03-2015, 12:39 AM
The origional weeping angel episode (if you are taking about the first one with Sally Sparrow) is one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever made in my opinion.

zcat
11-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Dd has some issues.
We chose to homeschool before we knew what dd's issues were. We continue to homeschool in large part because of her issues but also because I just think it is a great way to learn.

Soulhammer
11-11-2015, 06:13 AM
Typical in that issues can be managed so that they have very little impact on DSs day-to-day experience and the gifted label is meaningless in the context of our hs.

AutMom
11-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Liam is autistic. Extremely accelerated with self-taught computer programs, creating animation, music, and art. Struggles with pragmatic speech, but is learning Mandarin and loving it. No real behavioral challenges other than social/language. He's a happy kid and even happier with homeschool.

IEF
11-15-2015, 05:07 PM
ds7 (current homeschooler and only minor child) is right smack dab in the middle of the bell curve and everything that a normal, healthy, innocent, happy little boy should be with the exception of occasional meltdowns that can be challenging. He may be a bit brighter than average or a bit sheltered and "not working up to his potential to stay competitive with China" but frankly, my dear, I don't give a....

ds23 (homeschooled to high school) asynchronous (2e)

dd26 (homeschooled to college) gifted and behaviourally challenged

dd27 (public school; raised by father and stepmother) learning issues and behaviour challenges