PDA

View Full Version : A Soon-To-Be Homeschooling Family from Central Missouri!

ginnyjf
03-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Hello everyone! I was very excited to find this forum while I was trolling the internet for HS resources this morning. My name is Ginny, I'm 42, married for 20 years and I have a wonderful 7-year-old son who is currently in first grade at a local Catholic school.

I'm starting to make all the necessary preparations to begin homeschooling for the 2010-2011 school year, and let me tell you, I am up to my eyeballs in curriculum guides and homeschooling references and URLs! :confused: I think for our first year we might be better off just winging it so I can discover DS's best learning style. We already know he loves the computer and he is a Blockland/Roblox fanatic (as am I) so we're leaning heavily toward computer-based curriculum.

Even though he's coming out of a Catholic school, we are going to pursue secular homeschooling for him initially and I honestly feel like he needs a little time to de-Catholicize! He comes home nearly every day worried that something he has done is going to send him to hell. He also has sensory integration dysfunction and dysautonomia and in nearly every school mass he comes close to fainting. I just feel like he needs a little break from it all and I want him to start considering other belief systems and world views before it gets too ingrained.

The SID is another reason we are pursuing homeschooling. As it stands right now, he is a very popular boy in his class and has a large group of friends, but the SID makes team sports very challenging for him. He's lagging in gross motor and some fine motor, which is not a problem at the moment because they're still playing Star Wars and Spongebob games at recess. Our concern is as he advances grades and sports become more prominent, he will begin to fall behind the other boys his age. It's a small school and the overriding culture of the school is sports, sports, sports, which is great, but kind of leaves my science-crazy, computer-loving son out in the cold.

So anyway, hello! I'm looking forward to reading the forum posts and gleaning as much knowledge as I can from fellow homeschooling parents. I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who is homeschooling an only child. I'm not anticipating any problems, but it would good to hear about the advantages and disadvantages nonetheless.

I'm excited and scared all at the same time and we're not even homeschooling yet! :D

Topsy
03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Welcome ginnyjf!! Great intro...it is wonderful to have you here! The forum may be a bit misleading...we just switched over to a new forum software, so it looks like right now there aren't many posts, but feel free to go up and click on the "Forum Archive" button to see our older posts! If you haven't already, you might also want to look through our Resources page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources) - - especially the link to the "Welcome to Homeschooling" guide by Time4Learning, which in my opinion, is one of the best intros out there. I have two boys and one is a science freak, and the other a computer freak, so I know exactly where you are coming from! Don't be shy at all to ask any and all questions as they come up, because our members here have a lot of combined experience with all different styles of homeschooling, different curricula, etc. Oh...and congrats on your exciting decision to homeschool!!! :)

Topsy

Snoopy
03-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Welcome to SH! While I have several children, I only homeschool one of them. Another mom has also created a group for parents homeschooling an only child so be sure to visit the "Groups" page!

I hope we can be of help as you prepare for this great adventure!

Snoopy
03-18-2010, 06:55 PM
And... I had never heard of Blockland or Roblox so thanks for mentioning those, I just looked them up on Wikipedia. Noah is currently a BETA tester for LEGO Universe so those might tide him over until that game finally comes out when the testing phase is over!

MikeHigginbottom
03-18-2010, 08:56 PM
I'd never heard of Roblox and Blockland either. They look really good. Sounds like he might enjoy http://scratch.mit.edu/ as well if he's into spatial building games and programming type things.

You also mentioned about him being an only child. I home school our daughter and we've not had any problems with it. When we ask her what she likes and dislikes she always mentions the lack of friends as the worst thing about being home schooled but we're in a very unusual position which makes joining in with local home schooling groups pretty difficult. If you're at home with him full time you should have absolutely no problem with getting him a really great bunch of friends who probably won't be the typical jock type. Certainly here in the UK there's a very high proportion of what we call special educational needs kids in home schooling, mainly because they don't fit in at school and aren't well catered for. Consequently, those who aren't stereotypically normal seem to have almost no problems fitting in because there are so many slightly odd, geeky, bright or characterful kids to get along with. That makes it sound like a bit of a freak show doesn't it? It's not at all like that. It's just a much more diverse and accepting population of kids who feel far less pressure to fit in. We've found it very liberating as DD is pretty bright and has inherited her father's slightly geeky genes. I suppose the most important thing, and the one that's most often overlooked, is that your son might be quite happy spending a lot of time on his own or with only one or two special friends. It's tempting to see that as a flaw sometimes.

ginnyjf
03-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Thank you for the nice welcome, Nathalie! I will certainly check out the Groups page because I need all the help I can get. I'm so glad you found Roblox and Blockland and I hope Noah enjoys both sites if he has time to visit. It's something Zack and I enjoy doing together, especially playing the different "tycoons" on Roblox. It's a great way to work on his math skills without it seeming like work to him.

dbmamaz
03-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Welcome Ginny - my 6 yo is a huge roblox fan, and he has been happier with Time4Learning than he has been with much else that I'm doing. Also, where in MO? I actually used to live in south central MO (on a commune tho lol) My first child was born in Mt Home, AR.

And Nathalie, we are JEALOUS!!!!! of your son! My husband said he would sign up to try to be a beta tester for Lego Universe with our 6 yo, but I guess that means they didnt get it.

ginnyjf
03-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks, Topsy! I've already spent a lot of time on the forum exploring resources and joining groups. It's a wonderful source of information!

Mike, thank you for your insight on educating your daughter. We are a family of introverts and are usually quite happy to spend our time noodling around at home doing various things like computer games or board games or reading. He does get along well with his peers but we've found he does much better on a one-to-one basis, or at the most, two or three friends at a time. We live next door to his current school so we are planning on having some of his school friends over on early dismissal days for games and pizza and general mayhem! And I agree with you about Scratch - we have a great time creating scripts while learning some very basic programming functions.

Hello Cara! We're in Washington, MO, which is really more eastern Missouri but we're far enough from St. Louis to have it feel like more of a rural community. We are very interested in Time4Learning and once Zack tried some of the sample lessons he was ready to start homeschooling that very minute! I'd like him to at least finish out the year so I have time to make all the necessary preparations.

Nathalie, like Cara, we're totally jealous of the beta testing thing! I told Zack about what Noah is doing and he asked, "How can I be a beta tester???" He was so disappointed when he found out the game was in closed beta. :-D Sounds like our boys would get along well!

Snoopy
03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Cara, one of my friend just told me that her kid was accepted into the testing this week and Noah got his email a couple of weeks ago and started last week so I'm guessing they're opening it to more testers in waves? So don't despair... We are very excited, in addition to that, because they announced a couple of months ago that the old Cypress Gardens attraction (1 hr from my house) is being turned into a LEGOLAND attraction park and will open next year. How cool is that?! I hope their annual passes are affordable (not last Disney's...)

dbmamaz
03-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Wow, that sounds more worth traveling for than disney. i dont really like disney.

Snoopy
03-19-2010, 04:46 PM
There's actually a lot of great educational stuff to be done at WDW, especially Epcot. If I could afford the annual pass, I'd get it. But I worked there for 15 years and got used to being able to go for free whenever I wanted and there's no way I'd pay the prices they're charging nowadays. Yikes! We're very excited about Legoland. I think that just the local homeschoolers will keep that park afloat!