PDA

View Full Version : Upside Down pictures

alexsmom
10-07-2015, 08:09 PM
After a year of posting pictures from my ipad that appear upside down, I thought it was time perhaps to ask if there is a way to have them turn out right side up?
They always look right-side up on my ipad's camera roll, but it seems worse than 50/50 that they are invariably upside-down.

Is there a cure?

MNDad
10-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Are these pictures you've taken with your iPad? I *think* what is going on has to do with the way iOS handles images that come out of the camera sensor. For efficiency, I believe that iOS makes no attempt to perform re-orientation of the actual image data. Instead, it just encodes data about the position sensor orientation in the image's EXIF metadata. I suspect that the website code doesn't actually look at the EXIF tags; so it just displays the data as-is. Depending on how you were holding the iPad to take the picture, it may correctly oriented or it may not.

So...cure. Maybe you could try editing the picture before posting. Do a couple cycles of changing the orientation/changing it back to see if that explicitly forces an orientation.

Or, I believe some 3rd party camera software actually post-processes the sensor data automatically. I've read that the Camera+ app does that.

alexsmom
10-14-2015, 12:34 PM
I just use the comes-standard camera app.

Heres my experiment to see how pictures come out:

alexsmom
10-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Hah! and none of them came out upside down!