PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Lemon cake! (Bread)

alexsmom
10-06-2015, 11:11 AM
It started out innocently enough - heading out to therapy after getting Baby from bed. We would stop at Starbucks and get something to eat. Yumm lemon loaf. DS9 learned not to eat before we left, because - well, lemon loaf. At $2.95 each, twice a week, without me buying any drinks or food for myself, thats $12 minimum but often is that much on a single trip.
We stopped at big grocery store last week (Thanks RSO for your highly processed foodstuff in science experiments!), and I saw Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme cake mix. Way cheaper than Sbux. (I knew it was easy enough to make icing with powdered sugar and lemon juice.) But it tastes like crap, no lemon flavor at all.

I looked online in the usual suspects for recipes - foodtv and allrecipes - and they were either with box cake mixes and instant puddings, or the overly involved elaborate things requiring a personal orchard's worth of lemons and buttermilk.

Does anyone have a lemony quick-bread or cake recipe thats a happy medium for someone who doesnt want to cook with instant box mixes, and doesnt have the energy to create a culinary masterpiece worthy of Pretentious Cuisine Magazine?

CrazyMom
10-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Not that it's any of my business....but what's the issue with boxed cake and pudding mixes? (you do realize Starbucks uses them, I hope:) )

Copycat of Starbucks® Lemon Bread Recipe - Allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/236779/copycat-of-starbucks-lemon-bread/) This one has great reviews for being an excellent copycat of Starbucks.

Looks like the key ingredients are sour cream...and non-instant lemon pudding. But sorry....it's got boxes. You can always punch the lemon flavor with some juice and zest in the batter?

RTB
10-06-2015, 11:32 AM
My favorite lemon cake is from the cookbook Spanish Home Cooking (by Miriam Kelen).

I like it because it is tasty, really easy to make, and I always have the ingredients. It is excellent with berries and fresh whipped cream. But as an FYI it is not going to give you the Amish Friendship bread / pudding bread type texture.

Torta de Limón
(Lemon Cake)

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I've used EVOO just fine)
Grated peel from 1 lemon (2-3 teaspoons)
2 cups flour (I've used 1/2 whole wheat before)
2 teaspoons baking powder

Heat oven to 325 F and grease and flour a 9 or 8 inch baking pan (if using metal increase oven temp to 350)
In a bowl, beat eggs and 1 cup sugar until thickened. Add milk, oil and lemon peel; mix well. Add flour and baking powder; mix until well blended. Pour into pan. Sprinkle top with 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream and your choice of fruit.

I've added a few drops of Doterra lemon essential oil to it before to increase the lemon flavor.

alexsmom
10-06-2015, 11:56 AM
CM - I prefer ingredients I can pronounce, and dont like the added chemically flavor that some of the processed stuff brings. Jell-O is repulsive to me. You can make pudding or custards easily enough - milk, eggs, sugar, cocoa, and corn starch / tapioca can go a long way to making tasty creamy desserts.
If Im making food at home, Id rather go *real*. But Im not so granola-y that Im opposed to any form of junk food. ;)

RTB - Is it very lemony? (Lemons, but no lemon oil on hand.) It looks simple enough to try today when we get home! (And EVOO is the only veggie oil we have here - good to know that it works fine.)

dbsam
10-06-2015, 12:04 PM
I have a really great lemon loaf recipe. I haven't made it in years but will dig it out today.

Mariam
10-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Rebecca's recipe looks a lot like the one my mom made. Add some of the sugar frosting and there it is. I love that bread. Mmmm I love when it gets cold and we can start making quick breads again.

I wonder if the lemon works well as muffins. I have started making my quick breads as muffins, because then you can freeze a batch of them and then warm them up as needed.

dbsam
10-06-2015, 12:26 PM
This is lighter than a quick bread; but takes a little more effort.

Lemon Loaf (I cut this out of the Chicago Trib in 1990 – I love it! Maybe because it reminds me of something my mom made when I was little.)
 1 ½ cups sifted flour
 1 ½ teas baking powder
 ¼ teas salt
 ½ cup butter – softened
 1 cup sugar
 2 eggs
 ½ cup milk
 finely grated rind and juice of one lemon
 ½ cups chopped pecans or walnuts (optional – I like it without)
 juice of one lemon
 ¼ cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour w/baking powder and salt and set aside. Cream butter until light, slowly add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the dry and adding about one third of the total at a time. Add lemon rind and juice and beat just until smooth. Stir in nuts if you like and spoon into a greased and floured 9” by 5” by3” loaf pan. Bake about one hour until cake pulls from sides of pan and is springy to the touch. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack while you make the glaze. Heat lemon juice and sugar over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour evenly over top of cake and let cake cool thoroughly in pan before turning out. Wrap tightly and store overnight before cutting.
 It is really moist so cutting can be difficult – cut thick.
 It freezes well.

I Hope you like it.
I think I will make it this weekend!

muddylilly
10-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Oh quick bread, how I love thee....let me count the ways :)

Lemon
Pumpkin
Banana
Blueberry
Zucchini
Chocolate Chip
Rhubarb

Getting chilly out Mariam! I'm with you!

dbsam
10-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Oh quick bread, how I love thee....let me count the ways :)

Lemon
Pumpkin
Banana
Blueberry
Zucchini
Chocolate Chip
Rhubarb

Getting chilly out Mariam! I'm with you!

Rhubarb quick bread! I never thought of that. Can I use frozen rhubarb?

RTB
10-06-2015, 02:00 PM
CM - I prefer ingredients I can pronounce, and dont like the added chemically flavor that some of the processed stuff brings. Jell-O is repulsive to me. You can make pudding or custards easily enough - milk, eggs, sugar, cocoa, and corn starch / tapioca can go a long way to making tasty creamy desserts.
If Im making food at home, Id rather go *real*. But Im not so granola-y that Im opposed to any form of junk food. ;)

RTB - Is it very lemony? (Lemons, but no lemon oil on hand.) It looks simple enough to try today when we get home! (And EVOO is the only veggie oil we have here - good to know that it works fine.)

I like real stuff too.

Yes, I think it is lemony enough as is. But it is delicate, it tastes like lemon, not over the top artificial lemon (like a lemon hard candy).

muddylilly
10-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Frozen rhubarb.....Sure can!!!

Elly
10-06-2015, 02:20 PM
I have a recipe that my mum honed over years and it's really yummy, but I'm not sure where it is. The best bit, I think, was that she heated sugar with lemon juice and poured it over the top of the warm cake. Super delicious. I'll see if I can find the recipe

Elly

crazyme
10-06-2015, 08:38 PM
I made this Lemon Blueberry Cake (http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/05/lemon-blueberry-cake/) last spring and it was very, very good. It definitely has a cake texture, but I would experiment and bring the lemon elements of it into your favorite quick bread recipe. The key ingredients are lemon zest and lemon extract. I should say that I made the cake again a couple months ago, but forgot that I was out of lemon extract. So sad. It did not have that strong lemony taste.

I believe most quick breads call for some kind of extract flavoring (usually vanilla)--you can trade out the extracts 1 for 1. I also chop up the zest into teeny-tiny bits whenever I think my boys will protest.

muddylilly
10-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Crazyme, you are making me cry. That looks sooooo good. Shame on you :)

alexsmom
10-06-2015, 11:32 PM
Wow thanks for all the recipes! I want to try all of them!

(Still waiting hopefully for Ellys...)

Somehow over the past few years, lemon has replaced chocolate as the favoritest dessert flavor. We will have a festival of lemons with these!

And baby likes eating grated lemon skin/zest. Crazy sensory-seeking child! (I dont have a zester so just use the fine grating side of our (otherwise) cheese grater.) So at least I dont need to disguise that!

fastweedpuller
10-07-2015, 09:07 AM
I remember DD had a crazy thing with lemons as a babe too...I think I have a pic somewhere of her with the lemon "smile" hah. And Alexsmom, shame on you, girl: don't you live where lemons actually grow? Stick a couple trees in your yard! I nurse a couple of Meyer lemons here, bringing them indoors every winter.

That said, lemon cake yummm seems pretty easy?

Elly
10-07-2015, 09:23 AM
I think I'll have to wait until the weekend to get that recipe book. The lemon topping would probably be great on any cake :)

Elly

alexsmom
10-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Hah! Lemon trees do grow here, a homeschooling friend even has a tree. Not sure if its polite to ask her if she has a spare barrel o lemons though!
Growing up we had a few trees - my mom had bought orange and lemon trees but I dont kniw if she bought the wrong variety or they cross polinated, but the oranges were pretty sour.

I can get them easily enough from the little store we do the most of our shopping at. ;)

Elly
10-27-2015, 07:31 PM
FINALLY! I found the lemon cake recipe. It's from the UK, so all weights and maybe not ingredients you want, like soft margarine, but I guess you could use butter. My husband loved this when my mum used to make it

Ingredients
CAKE (frankly, I think you could make any good cake and add lemon rind)
150g self-raising flour
150g soft margarine/butter
150g castor sugar (so fairly fine white sugar)
2 eggs
2 tbsp milk
grated lemon rind

SYRUP (this is what makes it)
Juice of 1 lemon
75g sugar

Over 350 deg F

Mix all ingredients, bake in 2 loaf tins for 40-45 mins (might depend on oven and tin size). Mix juice and sugar until the sugar dissolves and pour over cooled cake. Leave in the tin until the juice all soaks in.

Elly