PDA

View Full Version : Gap Years and College application timing

crazyme
10-04-2015, 08:12 PM
First all, we're a ways off from this, but the recent StNs conversation and the "Who's Afraid" thread in Middle/High School made me think of this question. My eldest and I have plotted a course for high school and he has started identifying colleges he would like to go to. However, he also wants to do a long distance trail (like the Pacific Crest or Appalachian). Between high school and college could be a potentially good time for this. Does anyone know if it is better to apply to a college and then ask for a year deferment, or is it better to finish high school, do the gap year activity, and then apply to college?

inmom
10-04-2015, 08:30 PM
From what I've read on a homeschool to college yahoo group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hs2coll/conversations/messages, I believe you apply to the school upon graduation from high school, get admission, then defer admission by requesting the gap year. You will probably want to check with the specific college(s) to be sure, though, how they handle that.

To avoid losing the freshman status, though, he would want to make sure to NOT take any college courses during that gap year. If he does, I think he would be considered a transfer student instead.

Avalon
10-05-2015, 01:04 AM
I'm an outside observer here, but this seems like such a strange thing to worry about. I've never heard of anyone being at a disadvantage for applying to university some time after their high school years were over. Lots of people re-take some high school courses to improve their marks (we call it "upgrading"), or they have to work for a couple of years to make some money to go to school. I could apply for university now, and they would probably just look at my transcripts and say "yup, you're in" or "nope, too full."

Considering how insanely expensive education is in the US, I'm amazed that most students don't go to work for a couple of years just to make some money.

Mariam
10-05-2015, 01:28 AM
Deferments really depend on the college. If he wants to go to a state school the he would probably apply when he is ready to go, private schools tend to have deferment options. As Carol mentions I would contact the specific school to verify. (Some even mention it on the admissions website.)

Soulhammer
10-05-2015, 05:06 AM
Timing can also be a big deal for certain scholarships (PSAT/NMSQT, for example), so this actually is worth thinking about.

Accidental Homeschooler
10-05-2015, 08:03 AM
I would suggest doing the SAT or ACT testing before the gap year. If you go with the deferment option you lose using the gap year activity ( that kind of hike would be good) as part of the application. So I agree that it comes down to what schools you are looking at applying to.

Topsy
10-05-2015, 09:45 AM
This is one I found and shared over on the Lets Homeschool High School social networks a while back. Seems to apply here: 7 Questions to Ask When Considering a Gap Year - US News (http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/right-school/timeline/articles/2010/05/19/7-questions-to-ask-when-considering-a-gap-year)

crazyme
10-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Timing can also be a big deal for certain scholarships (PSAT/NMSQT, for example), so this actually is worth thinking about.

I didn't even think about scholarships--thank you for bringing it up!

I would suggest doing the SAT or ACT testing before the gap year. If you go with the deferment option you lose using the gap year activity ( that kind of hike would be good) as part of the application. So I agree that it comes down to what schools you are looking at applying to.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If it was a different experience, I might consider letting him go between high school years and giving some kind of credit for it. I know it has been done, but I don't feel comfortable having him solo hike long distance at 15 or 16.

Thanks Inmom and Topsy for the links--I will check them out.

skrink
10-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Here's a question about gap year/s that has been in my mind - what about health insurance? If you kid is 18 or older, don't they need to be enrolled to be covered under the parents' insurance? Or have things changed?

Accidental Homeschooler
10-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Things have changed I think. You can cover your kids after college now too, up to age twenty-six I think.

inmom
10-13-2015, 05:48 PM
The CollegeWise Blog has posted their notes from the National Association for College Admissions Counseling conference. You can download them here (https://collegewise.com/nacac-notes-take-them-and-share-them/).There was a session on a Gap Year for those interested.