PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with Brave Writer's The Arrow

elkhollow
10-25-2010, 10:10 PM
I have read Writer's Jungle from Brave Writer and I was so excited about this writing philosophy that I went ahead and ordered one of the Arrow guides (Archimedes and the Door of Science). I paid $10 for the file and I was so disappointed when I read it. It was not much more than some passages pulled from the book to be used as copywork and some ramblings from the writer that didn't amount to much.

Am I missing something here? These guides get rave reviews everywhere I've checked and I really do like what the author has to say in the Writer's Jungle, but $10 for some passages I could pull out of the book myself and a couple of grammar references that I also could have done? Does anyone else have some of these guides? Did I just get one that wasn't very good or is this pretty much what all of them are like?

elkhollow
10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
I should add that the sample on the website is from Charlotte's Web and is far better than the one for Archimedes, so I may have answered my own question. Perhaps I just picked one that was a dud.

mseward
06-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Glad you posted this because I was thinking of doing units only! LOL I actually 'marked' Charlotte's Web in my head. Maybe we will start with that one to see if the girls like it before I spend almost $200 on this program.

Monise

Stella M
06-10-2013, 06:06 PM
I think The Arrow is overpriced. It's good to get one or two to use as a template but quite honestly, it is no drama to come up with your own copywork, dictation and literary element.

I love Bravewriter but I am not impressed with The Arrow.

farrarwilliams
06-10-2013, 06:13 PM
I had a small bundle of them from HSBC... It's nice to have the dictation all set up, but I basically agree. Overpriced. I thought the new Partnership Writing was a much better product. And that TWJ is totally worth it.

Stella M
06-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Another vote for Partnership Writing. I think Julie got it 100% right with this product. Right price. Great resource.

dottieanna29
06-10-2013, 06:21 PM
I bought The Wand and 5 issues of The Arrow through HSBC. I have Pippi Longstocking, How to Train Your Dragon, Phantom Tollbooth, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and The Wind in the Willows. My intention was to do The Wand with my youngest, and the Arrow with my son. I ended up backing my son up to The Wand (Level 2) when I looked at The Arrow because I just couldn't see how to put it into practice. The Wand has a lot more guidance (although some of the stuff is below my son's level) but now that we've done it for a while, I realize how light The Arrow is and I doubt I'll buy more. I'll use the ones I have but I think doing one or two would give enough feel for just doing it yourself.

farrarwilliams
06-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Yeah, The Wand is often grouped with Arrow/Boomerang on their materials, but having seen it, it's really radically different.

mpippin
06-10-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm quite pleased with the Arrow. Then again, I paid less than $5 apiece for them at HSBC last week, so I see it as a better value. We're currently working on My Side of the Mountain, and it opened my eyes to things to teach that I wouldn't have otherwise thought of on my own.

valerieanne
06-10-2013, 08:54 PM
We tried it out with The Farmer Boy. Dd was severely dissappointed in me, and said that I was ruining a really great book for her. It was lame enough to scare me off of BraveWriter altogether. I wish I understood a little better what the magic of the program is, because I've scoured the website and don't see a sparkle in sight. There is a large curriculum swap taking place this Friday, and I am hoping to see some of the materials up close.

Stella M
06-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm quite pleased with the Arrow. Then again, I paid less than $5 apiece for them at HSBC last week, so I see it as a better value. We're currently working on My Side of the Mountain, and it opened my eyes to things to teach that I wouldn't have otherwise thought of on my own.

Yeah, under $5 is about right for them imo.