PDA

View Full Version : books about the American Revolution

dbsam
09-29-2015, 03:40 PM
I've searched the site but haven't found anything. If I am missing an old thread please direct me.

My children and their friends are taking the Minecraft class about the Boston Tea Party. They've decided to read about the time period while taking the class. They just finished Johnny Tremain - and all loved it. Any other book suggestions? I searched online but tend to trust the reviews on SHS more than other sites. All the of the kids are 11yo 6th graders except one who is a young 13yo.

Some of the books I've found online and are considering are:

My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier (I've read very mixed reviews about this book.)

The American Revolution by Bruce Biven (I haven't been able to find this one at our town or county library. If it is worth it, I can buy it.)

Moon of the Two Dark Horses by Sally Keehn

The Winter of Red Snow by Kristian Gregory

I've looked up so many books, I cannot remember them all. So, your suggestions/reviews would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

dbsam
09-29-2015, 03:43 PM
I just realized I put this in the Elementary section instead of Middle school...oops.

PinballWizard
09-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Woods Runner by Gary Paulsen would be a good fit for the age.

Forge by Laurie Anderson is about runaway slaves during the Revolutionary War. Might be an interesting shift in perspective.

dbsam
09-29-2015, 04:56 PM
PinballWizard, Thank you! Both look like great suggestions. My kids like Gary Paulsen but I didn't know about this book.
thx

eta: Chains by Laurie Anderson looks good too.

HawaiiGeek
09-29-2015, 07:19 PM
I use this link to get ideas, I haven't read any so I can't review.
Revolutionary War (http://bookgirl3.tripod.com/revolutionarywar.htm)

dbsam
10-17-2015, 06:28 PM
I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else is looking for books set during the Revolutionary War.

So far the four kids have read, and loved, Johnny Tremain and Woods Runner. I learned a lot listening to Woods Runner! (PinballWizard, Thank you for the recommendation.)

They will pick a new book Wednesday. I hope they choose a book that is from another perspective, possibly a slave or Native American. (Both of the books they've read are told from a 13yo colonist boy's view.)

Thank you for the suggestions!

farrarwilliams
10-17-2015, 07:47 PM
Seconding the Forge and Chains suggestions. Those books are great.

dbsam
11-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Seconding the Forge and Chains suggestions. Those books are great.

Yes!
The kids are finishing up Chains and they love it!
My son said he wishes they would make it into a movie and he cannot wait to read Forge.

dbsam
12-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Just another update:
Forge was a hit too. My children, both age 11, loved it. The other two children dropped out of our group and chose not to read Forge even though they liked Chains.

My son cannot wait until the third book, Ashes, is released.