PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a home schooling Dad in the UK!

MikeHigginbottom
03-18-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm a secular home schooling Dad (how much of a minority am _I_ ???) who's been teaching dd since March 2009 - just celebrated our one year anniversary (yay!). We're both loving every minute (well nearly every minute) of it and have no regrets whatsoever. Best thing we ever did. I'm looking to hook up with some other people in the same situation who don't feel the need to attribute the fact that 2+2=4 to some magic man in the sky.

I'm trained in engineering, working in IT and just starting a move to freelance writing. I'm into maths and science in general so if anyone needs any help with that kind of thing just give me a shout.

Topsy
03-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Wonderful to meet you!! Be sure to join the "Homeschool Dads" group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=10) as our beloved "Camaro" will be delighted to finally have some company over there!! I don't even think we have a group for UK'ers yet, so feel free to create one!! Glad you found us and that you can feel a little less in the minority now! Hope you'll jump right into the conversations here! :)

Topsy

camaro
03-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Could it be? Is there really another homeschooling Dad in the world other than me? We are a rare breed aren't we? Glad you found the site (it is certainly a wonderful place) and like Topsy suggested join the Dad's group I created!

Snoopy
03-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Welcome Mike! It's good to have another dad around! I look forward to hearing more from you and thanks for the offer of help with all things mathematical, I might need to call on you for that in the middle school years, lol. There's also a group for people homeschooling outside of the US so you might want to check into that one. We're small but growing!

How old is your daughter? Do you work from home?

MikeHigginbottom
03-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi Topsy! Thanks for the welcome. I've just posted an intro in the Homeschool Dad group. Hopefully I'll get a reply from those guys too. I cunningly seeded my intro with references to cars and barbeques and other manly pursuits so fingers crossed eh? Just took a look at your blog as well. I've got to say it's quite refreshing to have found a place where I can read about homeschooling without having to hear people refer to their kids as 'blessings from Jesus' all the time. I much prefer them to be referred to as geeklets or as I call my own dd, 2.0 (she hates it, but that's what makes it fun). Anyway I'm off to read some more of your blog. TTFN

MikeHigginbottom
03-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Yep, we're certainly outnumbered aren't we! I remember the days of my youth when that would have struck me as a good thing though... How times change. I just joined your Dad's group and posted a quick intro so I'll take a wander over there later and post a little something to hopefully get the juices flowing.

ginnyjf
03-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Welcome Mike! I just joined the forum today as well, but haven't actually started homeschooling yet. Good to hear from some veterans!

MikeHigginbottom
03-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah. No problem. Anything I can do to help with the maths, just let me know. Unless it's really hard sums ;)

My daughter's eleven, going on 15 at times and going on 30 at others. I think all girls are like that aren't they? Please tell me they are... As for the work front, I'm currently working a couple of days in the office and that's when dd gets to go to her Gran's to do all the fun stuff like poetry and cooking and running in the park or the garden. On Fridays (and as many hours as she can persuade us at the weekend) she goes to a local farm where she shares a pony with the daughters of a friend of ours. The other two days she's chained to the desk in the cellar doing proper stuff like maths and science by the smoky light of a flickering candle and the noise of dankly dripping water and scurrying rats. Apparently, it's not really home schooling unless you do that.

dbmamaz
03-19-2010, 10:01 AM
While they are rare, I have a secular home school dad at my park day, too . . . i would try to convince him to come here, but he doesnt seem to spend that much time on line.

welcome