PDA

View Full Version : A Bad Case of "The Mondays"

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
10-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, here we are in our eighth week of homeschooling (but boy, does it feel like eight years sometimes!), and I've noticed a pattern: Mondays are really hard. After the weekend, it is hard to get the kids, especially my ADHD six-year-old, to cooperate. They don't mind listening to me read, but really dig their heels in when it's time for copywork and math, no matter how fun I try to make it. Monday means I get a lot of "NO!" and "I don't wanna!" and "I won't do any more school ever again!!"

So... how do you all cope with a case of the Mondays? Should I just have low expectations ("Just write three words, honey...please???") and wait for Tuesday? I don't want to skip math and writing completely on Monday--that would just postpone the whining until Tuesday.

Ideas?

I am beginning to see the wisdom of year-round schooling. I can only imagine what these two hooligans would be like after two months off!

Theresa Holland Ryder
10-25-2010, 02:11 PM
One way or another I think you have to soldier on through the Mondays. If you don't, in my experience Tuesday becomes the new Monday and so on. :)

I think my best strategy has always been to be forewarned and forearmed. I know Monday is going to be a bit of a struggle, so I psych myself up and plan more carefully for Monday than any other day of the week. I'm also a bit draconian and "welcome to the grindstone!" about Mondays, but what works well with my kids' psychology and personalities and might not work for everyone.

Even working professionals have Monday issues, so at least we know we don't cause this somehow. :)

wild_destiny
10-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Great advice, Theresa! And it's not only working professionals that have Monday issues, but most people in general--not to mention students in public school.
Monkeymama, I hope your Monday gets better for you. At least it is hopefully only one day a week that you are met with resistance, not every day. ;)

dbmamaz
10-25-2010, 04:42 PM
LOL I was kinda thinking this today! For probably the first time this year, my 7 yo refused to do T4L. My 14 yo has been this way every monday - we do language arts first and he TOTALLY forgets his parts of speech on monday. Then math always gets interupted by a long time in the bathroom . . . then we go to martail arts. I participate, too, and when we get home . .. i'm so tired, *I* dont want to do anything! I did get the 14 yo to read his fiction book and the 7 yo to do T4L, and then it was after 2 and I gave up. I dont really understand . . . . but what else can you do but keep doing your best.

belacqua
10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
We've always gone to the library on Monday mornings. It gives us something to look forward to, I think.

This year, though, the kid takes a Latin quiz every Monday morning. It sets a lovely tone for the day if he's happy with his performance, but not so much if he makes a mistake (the perfectionism, it burns :rolleyes:).

wild_destiny
10-25-2010, 07:22 PM
A Monday morning library trip is a great idea. That would start the week off on a positive note and get the gears cranking.

hockeymom
10-25-2010, 08:14 PM
I like that idea too. A bookshelf full of crisp "new" books to start the week...I may have to adopt this one! :)

Pefa
10-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I agree about the library trip, I don't do that per se, but I start with an artsy project for the artsy one and research for the researchy one. I keep them relatively short 30 to 45 minutes then segue into the daily stuff. Sporadically, because I work weekends regularly and I'm not that good at doing anything after I work, I'm organized enough to chat on Sunday evening about what's going to happen during the coming week.

If you do a reward system, you can reward settling down for work in a set amount of time without too much argument.

Good luck

wild_destiny
10-25-2010, 09:57 PM
That is also some great advice, Pefa. Thanks for sharing!

schwartzkari
10-26-2010, 12:18 AM
My daughter has a tough time warming up for the homeschooling week. I ended up scheduling her a homeschool art class that she takes in the afternoon on Mondays with a group of other 5 and 6 year olds. After her class, we come home and she is ready to do the rest of her lessons.

wild_destiny
10-26-2010, 08:38 PM
That's another good way to solve the Monday doldrums, Kari! :)

InstinctiveMom
10-27-2010, 02:00 AM
We have the same issue... I do like the Monday Morning Library trip - we may just adopt that.
We also prepare Sunday evening - reminders all around that tomorrow is a school day, so no getting up before Mom and playing video games or turning on the TV. I find that helps so much to keep them in the 'school' mindset (we don't allow TV or games on school days).
~h

wild_destiny
10-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Sunday evening prep is also a good idea, Heather! What you describe, the sort of "setting the stage" is generally a tactic of excellent parenting, so kudos to you. (Meanwhile, I have the good intentions that don't always work with my crazy, erratic way of being. :))