PDA

View Full Version : school SpEd vs homeschooling charter -

LKnomad
09-19-2015, 02:44 AM
So we have been homeschooling now for almost 4 weeks and loving it. My son is doing fantastic. I have joined several very active California Facebook groups for homeschooling. I am also still a member of our local special education facebook group. As I watch these groups I am really amazed and what I see.

Now that school is back in the SpEd Facebook is hopping with anger, complaints, discussion of rights, discussion of discrimination. Parents are gearing up for what they know will be a difficult time for their kids. They know because it is always a difficult time for their kids. Getting help from the school district is always a problem.

On the other hand the homeschool groups are full field trips, fun things to do, questions asking about which charters are best (everyone seems to have good things to say about all of them), and very positive comments from people with special needs kids about options and ideas. Oh and MORE field trip options.

The difference is staggering and shocking.

We had our IEP last week. Our services went way way up. The regular school refused to give us OT. They told us that they were giving up on my son and his writing. The charter gave us weekly OT, twice monthly speech, and weekly RSP. The admin from the charter told me that if anyone on the IEP team felt he needed more services all it takes is a quick phone call and they will add more. Unbelievable.

It just lets me know we made the right choice. My son is coming out of his angry phase and seems to be smiling more. He told me he does not want to return to school after this year - returning for high school was the original plan. I guess I will start looking into high school homeschool options more seriously now.

To top it all off our skating rink FINALLY was approved as a vendor for our charter. Yay funds! Now he can get back into classes and mix with more homeschoolers. Lots at the rink.

So as this learning period comes to a close I know we are on the right track. First 20 days down.

TFZ
09-19-2015, 07:38 AM
That's fantastic. :smile:

alexsmom
09-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Yay yay yay thats awesome blossom!
Im counting down the years, months, days until I can get DS3 into the charter school IEP!

Thats great that they were able to add your ice rink as a vendor! :)

And best of all that your son is happy again.

Does it make you wonder why people stay with PS for so long? Is it because they dont know theres a better way? Do you have to bite your tongue / fingers to keep from proslytizing the charter school way?

Im just happy for you guys!

outskirtsofbs
09-19-2015, 12:16 PM
I'm so glad your son is feeling better!

HawaiiGeek
09-20-2015, 04:11 AM
That is so cool. I am very jealous of the extra OT. Even the OT who was paid for with our insurance said that there wasn't anything more she could do and his handwriting is nearly illegible and his keyboarding is slooooooow.

Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Elly
09-20-2015, 06:29 AM
That's so great, I'm glad you've found the best option for you both!

Elly