PDA

View Full Version : Pen Pals?

av8rix
10-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I apologize if this has been addressed before. I am looking to find a pen pal for DD (she is almost 8). I would prefer an international pen pal for her. I don't want to do internet and email pen pals. I want her to learn to write for snail mail.

Thanks in advance.

hockeymom
10-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Oooh--I *might* get my son to get on board with this! He'll be in 8 in February and needs all the practical writing skills he can get! :) We are Americans currently living in Canada and since we don't have a homeschooling community here it might be fun to get to "know" another homeschooler his own age. I'll talk to him about it and let you know, if you are interested.

av8rix
10-23-2010, 04:25 PM
That would be awesome hokeymom! Having another gender to write to will also teach better social skills imo. DD is saying yes to any child out of our state - lol.

kcanders
10-24-2010, 10:36 AM
My daughter who will be 8 in a month was just asking for a penpal too. My 11 year old son is writing with a friend that just moved to Idaho and my daughter is feeling left out. She wants to get letters too. :)

av8rix
10-25-2010, 12:45 PM
We have three on board (it looks like - provided the children are on board!) If we could get one more it would be great, if not, I will PM and we can have a three-way pen pal group.

wild_destiny
10-25-2010, 01:09 PM
My daughter might be interested, although she only just turned 7 and getting her to write is taxing (more for me than her :)). Feel free to PM me if you are still in need of another person. ;)

av8rix
10-25-2010, 02:01 PM
My daughter might be interested, although she only just turned 7 and getting her to write is taxing (more for me than her :)). Feel free to PM me if you are still in need of another person. ;)

It might be a good thing for her since it would give her a result to her writing! I will add you to the list, and will PM everyone this weekend for their address, and kids' interests so we can line them up!

If anyone else wants to jump on the band wagon, let me know and I will coordinate the lists.

wild_destiny
10-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Ok, thanks!

hockeymom
10-25-2010, 03:21 PM
My daughter might be interested, although she only just turned 7 and getting her to write is taxing (more for me than her :)).

Deanna: that sounds like my son! Getting him to write anything is such a chore, although now that his spelling has improved it is getting easier.

He is excited about writing to another homeschooler and he's very excited to receive mail. Hopefully that will be incentive enough to get him to write good letters! :)

wild_destiny
10-25-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm glad your son is looking forward to writing another secular homeschooler. I think it will be fun!

kcanders
10-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Maddie is excited too and can't wait. She loves writing, but isn't careful about spelling, spacing, capalization, etc. This will be great because she will have to focus on those to make the letters readable without complicated translaton. :)

av8rix
10-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Just giving this a bump in case anybody else wants to join in.

Bellanina
10-28-2010, 01:13 PM
I would love it if Mitchell took more care and attention to his penmanship. He has great ideas when he's not "having" to think about them, so it's very difficult for him to put his thoughts into words on paper. Perhaps a penpal is the answer I'm looking for!

He's 8 and we live on a farm in western Canada. He's interested in most things, except math and exercise LOL. He will have extensive parental input into his penpal letters until he gets "into the groove".

Stephany
10-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I have a 9 yo son and a six yo old son who would love to have a penpal. We aren't very exciting though. We live in Iowa. LOL
We had sort of a sad thing happen at the beginning of the year. All my sisters told my oldest their cousins would write them back if they wrote letters so he put one of those little bill holders in his room with a sign that said "put mail here". The he wrote a bunch of letters and put them in the mail but no one wrote back. :-(

av8rix
10-28-2010, 11:25 PM
I have a 9 yo son and a six yo old son who would love to have a penpal. We aren't very exciting though. We live in Iowa. LOL
We had sort of a sad thing happen at the beginning of the year. All my sisters told my oldest their cousins would write them back if they wrote letters so he put one of those little bill holders in his room with a sign that said "put mail here". The he wrote a bunch of letters and put them in the mail but no one wrote back. :-(

I am so excited about this project! And, if anyone finds that someone drops out, I will find a way to have DD, or another child pick up the slack. It is small enough right now that it should not be a problem.

And, hey, you live in Iowa, I live in Idaho. Most people think that Idaho is a city in Iowa! We must be equally boring ;)

Stephany
10-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Funny thing about that. We just had someone ask us today, Iowa...that's potatoes right?

hockeymom
10-29-2010, 05:45 AM
We used to live in Ohio and people always confused it with Iowa. So, I guess Iowa is the most exciting of the three, anyway! :)

Stephany, that's so heartbreaking that he didn't get any letters back! My DS made a mailbox one day in hopes that it would bring letters. He rarely undertakes craft projects on his own but he worked so diligently on this one...it'd be great to finally get to use it! :) We are so looking forward to this opportunity.

av8rix
10-29-2010, 08:11 PM
I am sending a PM shortly, so check your inbox. I will include my email address for all of you if it will help facilitate matters for you. I can't wait to get going on this!

Trillian
10-31-2010, 01:17 AM
Ooo-ooo! Me too! I only just caught this, but had been thinking of posting this same thing. My daughter is 9 years old and would love to have some penpals! (Not too mention she needs the writing practice.) She's written to a couple of out of state friends, but only once has gotten a reply, which bums her out. :( So if any of you would like to include a 9 year old girl from South Carolina, she'll always write...

pheonix
10-31-2010, 02:48 AM
My daughter is also 7, and she would like a penpal. If it's not too late, I'll hop on the wagon, too!
Daughter 7, Son, 11 and daughter 3
Thanks-
Alicia in Texas

av8rix
10-31-2010, 09:48 AM
trillion and phoenix, you have a PM. ;)

digitalm0m
11-01-2010, 12:23 PM
My daughter is 7 and would like a penpal, as well! We could do email or snail mail :)

av8rix
11-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Okay, I am only missing responses from 2 people to get this going (hockeymom and phoenix). When I get the information, I will send out your matches!

av8rix
11-01-2010, 07:19 PM
ditigtalmom, PM is on its way.

av8rix
11-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Last call - phoenix and digitalmom, I still need your information. Also, digital, I tried to pm you but you have pm disabled. I sent an email via the forum, but if you did not get it, please email me at [email protected] and I will gather information that way.

Angela Smither
11-03-2010, 12:27 PM
If you are looking for international pen-pals, go to http://www.epals.com
Sign up for the free registration and make a profile, then you can access classrooms and homeschool families from all over the world. We have participated in many cultural package exchange projects and found many pen-pals for our children through this site. Our most current project we are working on is a cultural package exchange with a family in Napal.

Angela Smither
11-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Though epals.com gives you the option for internet pen pals, you can find snail mail pen pals. We search the map and look for families and homeschool families. We have found many families in asia through epals.com, that like snail mail so that their children can practice their english righting.

Stephany
11-04-2010, 01:57 AM
That sounds nice although I have to admit that I like the idea of knowing that the homeschoolers came from here. We did an exchange once with another family on a homeschool list and it was 75 % religious propaganda. I couldn't even give it to the boys.

av8rix
11-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Everyone that responded should have a new PM with your pairings. I copied and pasted the information back and forth between each pairing so as not to lose anything.

Happy writing!

Emerald
11-04-2010, 05:09 PM
If you find out that someone else needs a penpal, I have a six-year-old boy. We live in a small town in Iowa. (Yes, not to be confused with Ohio or Idaho. :)

av8rix
11-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Emerald, perfect. I have a 6 year old boy (this month) on the list that Josy was going to take (she would have 2 pen pals then). I think the ages are more appropriate than a girl about to turn 8! I will send you a PM asking for details! And I will send your family the information.

homemade happiness
11-04-2010, 11:06 PM
My two girls, both age 7, would be interested in doing this. If there are others who are open to it?

av8rix
11-05-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't have any other children left to pair with. If someone comes along, I will let you know.

Stephany
11-06-2010, 02:27 AM
I'll ask around in my local group, there might be something interested. You did a great job pairing off the kids, av8rix. The boys are very excited.

Sam
12-31-2010, 05:00 PM
is this still going?

Marilyn
01-02-2011, 01:51 AM
I have an eight year old who wants to have a pen pal also. I have looked on sites and there is no way we are going that route. I like your comment on unschooling, Corrigan. We are beginning our venture into unschooling presently and my mind has so many doubts but my heart keeps saying to march on. I am not sure which one will win! lol

Marilyn
Mother of Terry 16, Martha 8

Emerald
01-02-2011, 11:58 AM
I think my son's penpal needs a new penpal. My son was not at all excited and its been like pulling teeth. I feel very bad for my son's penpal. :(

Amerikiwimom
01-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi! I'm new here and have two daughters 8 and 6 who currently have local pen pals and would like an international pen pal too! They would be interested in letter/postcard exchanges. Please keep me in mind if there is anyone who is unmatched or if more interested people come along.

Thanks,

Jill

Lizzylou
01-02-2011, 10:41 PM
I have an eight year old who wants to have a pen pal also. I have looked on sites and there is no way we are going that route. I like your comment on unschooling, Corrigan. We are beginning our venture into unschooling presently and my mind has so many doubts but my heart keeps saying to march on. I am not sure which one will win! lol

Marilyn

I'm feeling the same way about unschooling. Every time we start to venture that way I pull back. Argh!

Lizzylou
01-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Happy to see this thread. Would love to have a penpal for my 8 year old daughter. She feels that she is ready for a new one. lol

Sam
01-02-2011, 11:25 PM
I asked cause my 8 yr old daughter would love a penpal. She loves sending and receiving mail. She is still at an age where she'd prefer to write a girl, but she gets along with all age groups. We recently started homeschooling and she's loving finding new friends that are also homeschoolers. Her big "things" right now are Littlest Pet Shop, Geronimo Stilton and anything crafty.

Marilyn
01-03-2011, 02:57 PM
I am not too familiar with this site yet but I believe we can pm the personal info, but it is the pairing up that might take some juggling. I am off to work now but will be back on tomorrow and maybe we can get this going. If the need arises Martha could take two pen pals, she loves to write. She is into stuffed animals big time. Likes art and crafts and is into reading Katie Kazoo, Little House on the Prairie and Rick Riordan books presently.

Marilyn

Marilyn
01-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Liz,
Where are you located in Texas?

Marilyn

Lizzylou
01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply. We live in Fort Worth. How about you?

rumbledolly
01-14-2011, 02:19 PM
My daughter is 11 and we're new to HS so this would be a great opportunity for her to know there are other people out there that are like her! Also she could write a bit neater and this would help! We live in Maine. I heard we grow a potato or two here! We live more coastal and would love to share photos and postcards in our mailings so if there is still room please let me know!

She is NOT opposed to writing to younger or older, boy or girl. She's one of those immature 40 year old people. You know the type, uses much older vocabulary and has amazing technical skills but sleeps with 25 webkinzs, a moon nightlight, a regular nightlight, and airplanes try to land in her bedroom at night because it's lit up like Time's Square! You know - like Bill Gates...LOL

Lizzylou
01-15-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't think the whole 'penpal' thing has been organized yet. BTW, your daughter sounds hilarious.

So who is ready to get this thing going?

Lizzylou
01-15-2011, 04:46 PM
It seems like pages 4 & 5 haven't been matched at all.

NLmom
01-16-2011, 03:06 AM
I have two 7 year old boys that live in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. They would like a penpal to practice writting in English with. We prefer email but could do snail mail too.

Sam
01-16-2011, 01:28 PM
I matched up DD with a couple kids on these pages just by private messaging the moms. Click on the user name and a thing will pop up that you can send them a message.

ClassicalLearning
01-16-2011, 02:48 PM
If anyone is still interested, I have a 10yr old son who would love to have 1 or many pen pals. He occasionally gets letters from extended family but they tend to ignore his attempts to "chat". Are are in CA.

Stephany
01-17-2011, 12:54 PM
It sounds like Emerald's little guy isn't into the penpal thing which I totally understand. Brower is six and we live in Iowa. If someone is still interested in a pen pal around that age let me know. I don't think boy or girl matters. My other son was paired up with a girl and they are having a good time getting to know one another.

Miguels mommy
01-17-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm interested in trying to get Miguel a pen-pal (8) but I don't know if he'd actually do it. He had one when he was 5 yrs. old but was to embarrassed about his hand writing / drawing skills so he refused to send anything so I have no idea if it will work but if there's an odd number we'll try it out.

missourimom
01-24-2011, 09:01 PM
My daughter is 7 and would love to have a pen pal.
She loves animals, music, Kim Possible, Madagascar Penguins, reading mysteries (Nancy Drew Clue Crew, Encyclopedia Brown, etc...), making art & more.
I don't think age matters to her but I know she is at the age where she really wants a girl pen pal (sorry boys!). If there are any girls still interested, please message me & we'll work out the details.
Thanks so much!

jbralow
02-22-2011, 10:44 PM
I have identical twin girls who are seven who would love a pen pal (I think). They love to get mail. They love art, playing the piano, soccer, horses, reading, swimming, their pets. We live in NJ. PM at [email protected]

Inari
02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
My 7 almost 8 year old daughter would like someone to write to. We live in Japan.

My daughter loves animals, music, reading, making models rather than art. She also loves science. Her favorite show is Puffy Ami Yumi, which I think is on in the US as well as Japan!

Jennifer R. James
02-25-2011, 01:36 AM
I love this idea, but my kids are older. This is a prime example of something my kids didn't have time for in ps. If anyone out there has older kids who are interested, let me know. My daughter is a gifted reader and writer and would love the social aspect. My son is a reluctant reader and writer, and I'm hoping practice with another purpose will help him strengthen his skills.

Jennifer R. James
02-25-2011, 01:42 AM
ClassicalLearning,
My son is 13, but behind in reading and writing. I was thinking this might be a good fit. He is a sweet child, still interested in boy things like skateboarding, video games, bikes and cars. He's not in a hurry to grow up. I'm sure he would be excited to be in touch with someone from CA, one of the few other states that he has visited. Let me know. :)

higgledypiggledy
04-01-2011, 06:24 PM
We would enjoy penpals. I had a wonderful pen pal as a kid, then as a teenager she lived with us for a spring and I went home with her for the summer. We did fall terms at our schools and then lived with each other for spring and summer again. It was great. Please add us to the list, ages 10,8,6

Pilgrim
04-01-2011, 08:09 PM
DD just got an email account. She's 8 and likes

unicorns
dolphins
fairies
horses
arts and crafts
historical figures (Helen Keller, Amelia Earhardt)
sewing/knitting
singing/guitar

She loves to get email, and would love to have a pal to share notes (and links to dolphin videos!) with. I'd really love her to have a pal who loves to read who might get her interested in it as well (she's dyslexic and has a strong aversion to books).

PM me for her address. Thanks!