PDA

View Full Version : Hipster Veggie Recipes

alexsmom
09-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Kale, Fennel and more!

What are the best recipes?

(Ive gone heavy on the cream and cheese in my kitchen, Im looking to lighten it up!)

ETA: Heres the non-related thread that started it, so it doesnt get lost. http://www.secularhomeschool.com/homeschooling-issues/17199-not-well-meaning-relatives.html

TFZ
09-14-2015, 01:15 PM
Snacking on edamame in the shell. Little kosher salt. Steam in the rice cooker or microwave. Gives my hands something to do while watching tv. Better than ice cream or pistachios!

ejsmom
09-14-2015, 01:48 PM
I roast veggies and get them all good and brown. Olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, some parmesan and in the oven at 425 until brown on the outside and soft on the inside. I do like brussels sprouts topped with a bit of browned butter, though. Sweet potatoes - chopped up into bite sized chunks, toss with olive oil, smoked salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, chili powder, roast at 425, flip them around a bit part way through so all sides get browned. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, or make a dipping sauce with lime juice, sour cream, and garlic.

In warm months, I grill veggies in a tray on the grill. Squash, zucchini, red onions, mushrooms, peppers, celery chunks. Toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, then other herbs as fits the meal: tarragon, oregano, basil, cumin, whatever you have on hand.

You all are making me hungry!

muddylilly
09-14-2015, 03:48 PM
AM, what are you thinking? All of the hippest mom's are fermenting. Duh....

Just Kidding! ;) I think we all need to lighten up a bit, No?

ETA: Butternut Squash, asparagus, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, beets....and many more! All great just roasted on a sheet pan, quick oven, EVOO, S&P, brown and soft with crispy edges. Give the butternut squash a pinch of brown sugar, or the the asparagus a hit of balsamic....mmmmm
OR: chop up eggplant, onion, garlic.....sheet pan, don't crowd em, quick oven, EVOO, S&P, maybe some greek seasoning....when it's brown, soft with a bit of crispy edges....toss it in the food processor....dip, dip, dip :)

skrink
09-14-2015, 05:28 PM
I tried fermenting, shoved the jars into the corner and completely forgot about them. :( Not pretty. I even tried jun tea - the scoby for that bad boy was... interesting? *shiver* Especially after I forgot about THAT and it molded over something fierce. I have decided I'll leave the fermenting to the true hipsters.

Roasting veg is my new favorite, same as ejm & ML. I use a coconut/olive oil mix, add a little garlic or garlic powder, some thyme if I'm in the mood. I may even try the hated brussel sprouts roasted. The only veg I've tried so far that I don't like roasted is broccoli. Too bitter.

ejsmom
09-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Is Apple Crisp hipster? I just put one in the oven to celebrate our first full day of school and back to real life after summer and our beach vacation. Or is it maybe just old fashioned and lame? The hipsters I know don't really cook.

alexsmom
09-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Ummm maybe if you put acai or goji berries in it.

I dont actually know any hipsters. If you want to call your apple crisp hip, Im not one to stop you.

azdad
09-15-2015, 12:21 AM
We still eat meat but are trying to eat less. I got this cookbook recently and have been pleased with every recipe I've tried. Homemade veggie burgers came out great. Also crispy tofu "fingers" with a variety of sauces. And curried cauliflower fritters. Good stuff.

The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook: America's Test Kitchen: 9781936493968: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Vegetarian-Cookbook-Americas-Kitchen/dp/1936493969)

fastweedpuller
09-15-2015, 08:56 AM
I am not going to try to convert you all to the Church of Fermentation. Really I am not. But...this is the first year we are without a goat to milk and it has been tough! SOOO miss my morning yogurt, now I have to pay $6/qt! And I miss my cheeses, jesus. And I make wine, mead, bread, pickles of all sorts, miso, tempeh, krauts of all kinds, and I make a mean kimchi for a white girl (so I have been told).

Having been a vegetarian for 17 years prior to farm ownership/raising meat birds, I would say my guru was always Deborah Madison. Her recipes always turned out great. Her Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone is dog-eared and stained. Probably my favorite book of hers though is Vegetarian Suppers. She just goes the distance I don't normally go with things and the payoff is great.

However, roasting any/every veggie is really a gateway to eating more of them.

KittyP
09-15-2015, 10:43 PM
I thought the hip thing now was raw? I love fermented foods, nothing beats a good sourdough with some homemade cultured butter and brewer's yeast. Mmm...and homemade butter means fresh buttermilk, which of course means biscuits...yes, fermenting and preserving of all kinds are great. Especially sour/salty/crunchy pickles! I love pickles for that trifecta, especially dilly beans. Dilly beans may be the single most addictive veggie on the planet, they are so good!

But roasting, I don't have much experience with roasting veggies; I prefer a nice saute for most veggies if not raw. Maybe I've always done it wrong but roasting tends to lose a lot of the crunch that is one of my favorite parts of veggies.

herstrangemind
11-25-2015, 11:25 AM
My new favorite recipe is from Huckleberry bakery in LA.

Here's the gist:

Roast some brussels, apples, and beets in olive oil or butter and some salt. In a pan, saute butter, a Tbsp of brined capers, some fresh rosemary, and minced garlic. Toss your roasted vegetables in that mixture. Top with feta cheese and a fried egg (put an egg on it!). It is awesome. I sometimes add some beet kraut to it. :)

LKnomad
11-25-2015, 04:50 PM
My new favorite recipe is from Huckleberry bakery in LA.

Here's the gist:

Roast some brussels, apples, and beets in olive oil or butter and some salt. In a pan, saute butter, a Tbsp of brined capers, some fresh rosemary, and minced garlic. Toss your roasted vegetables in that mixture. Top with feta cheese and a fried egg (put an egg on it!). It is awesome. I sometimes add some beet kraut to it. :)

Kbean - I just don't know if I can do the egg part. The rest sounds yummy!

crunchynerd
11-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Minimalist is what we have to do, so if that's hipster, then we're hipsterish I guess.
If you put cauliflower in the food processor, dry and raw, and pulse a few times, you get cauliflower bits about the size of rice grains (though not the shape). You can then put that in a saucepan or casserole, season as desired, and cook as if it were rice, sort of. Actually, just boil or steam as you would any veggie. Rice on the stovetop is a different sort of process of high heat followed by low, so this doesn't cook the same as rice.

But anyway, you can then use it for a base, in place of rice, for chicken, or grilled or fried mushrooms and vegetables.

alexsmom
01-28-2016, 04:12 PM
Whoever posted a link on some other thread to the onceuponachef site... I dunno whether to love or hate you.

But I do love the recipe for brussels sprouts au gratin. DS requested seconds of it when I made it earlier this week, and requested it again. Split them in half, roast em, add cream, bake some more. Top with melted butter, bread crumb, and cheese mix, broil for a couple minutes. Way easier than mixing up a white sauce.

Not fermented, not lighter, but definitely tasty. At least I hit *roasted*.
http://www.onceuponachef.com/2015/11/brussels-sprouts-gratin.html

Deli76
03-05-2016, 10:35 PM
I love love love my raw recipes! I have a lot of allergies so i have to substitute some stuff. Anyways, here is my recipe for Raw Almond Milk...
6 oz Almonds soaked over night (rinse before mixing all ingredients)
20 oz Spring Water
Pinch of Sea Salt
Splash of Vanilla
Short Squeeze of Honey
After rinsing the Almonds the next morning, put all ingredients in the blender. After blending pour through a strainer. Its good for 3 days.
The Almond pulp can be used for raw almond bread.
My fave raw sites are...

Free Healthy Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes - Raw Food Recipes (http://rawfoodrecipes.com/)

Simple, Satisfying Raw Food Recipes | The Rawtarian (http://www.therawtarian.com/)

Artmama
03-08-2016, 10:55 PM
I live in a city that is crawling with Hipsters! Best hipster recipes I've had came from Deb Perelman's site smitten kitchen (http://smittenkitchen.com)

alexsmom
03-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Hah! Im hipster and didnt even know it - Ive been noshing (thats my hipster word for it) on toast+avocado+cream cheese sandwiches for decades!

I was looking up radish recipes (Im an optimist, and planted really long french breakfast radishes in the garden) and saw one for sauteed radishes, the new replacement for potatoes. Looks good but we will see.

dbsam
03-09-2016, 12:02 AM
I live in a city that is crawling with Hipsters! Best hipster recipes I've had came from Deb Perelman's site smitten kitchen (http://smittenkitchen.com)

I do not think I am a 'hipster' (not sure what it is!) but I also love the smitten kitchen site.
I recently stumbled on this site minimalistbaker (http://minimalistbaker.com/). I haven't tried the recipes yet but plan to make several.

firefly77
03-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Well, I am definitely not a hipster, but I just did this cauliflower curry in the slow cooker and it was a huge hit. I've recently discovered red lentils after spending decades eating their green and French cousins. I made it with barley and roasted brussels sprouts (huh, maybe I am an unhip hipster?) and everyone loved it. I use creamed coconut instead of canned coconut milk. Not exactly light, but whatever. The recipe author doesn't look like she has much hipster cred, FWIW:

Slow Cooker Red Lentil Cauliflower Curry (http://www.wellplated.com/cauliflower-curry/)