PDA

View Full Version : Halloween costumes

Mariam
09-13-2015, 03:57 PM
What are you doing for your kids Halloween costumes?

DS usually likes to make his own (with lots of help), but this year he wants to be Harry Potter, so for the first time I am seriously thinking about buying it. (And I don't sew, usually I can get away with decorated t-shirts and sweats with accessories.)

I tried to find an used black graduation gown, but to no luck. All I really need is the gown and glasses. I think we can manage with the rest. So off to Amazon.

Though since DS likes to make costumes, it usually costs more than just buying it! But he does like putting his own twist on it.

So what are you doing for your kids costumes this year?

Riceball_Mommy
09-13-2015, 04:08 PM
My daughter is going to be Star Butterfly. For awhile she was Disney princesses but last year she was Princess Leia, before they started selling the costume, so I bought it on Etsy. I did make the "hair" though, it's a knitted hat. This year I got the costume from ebay. At first I was bit hesitant about spending more but then decided to make it a birthday gift, and now she's been wearing the dress everywhere so it's getting more than just costume use. I also got her a plush crocheted wand from an Etsy seller. She's also going to wear the costume to comic con later this month.

I really need to learn to sew though, it would make the costumes easier.

zcat
09-13-2015, 09:23 PM
Dd wants to be Beast Boy from Teen Titans. We are putting together a costume. Some sewing will be involved. Green hair coloring and face paint is involved as well.

aselvarial
09-13-2015, 09:32 PM
We are HUGE costume ppl! The kid has both of his favorite Transformers costumes, plus a slew of Star Wars helmets and matching jumpsuits, pretty much all of the avengers, and of course, Batman and Superman. Which ones he'll choose, no idea yet. I can't wait til he gets a little older and we can do more complex costumes! We'll probably do one transformer and one superhero this year (likely batman, though Thor is a definite contender as he LOVES mjolnir

Avalon
09-13-2015, 10:19 PM
Ugh. I hate Halloween. My daughter usually has a "vision" for what she wants to be, and requires enormous amounts of help/money/shopping/makeup/supplies to make it a reality. For instance, one year she wanted to be a porcelain doll. I think it had to be a Chinese porcelain doll with a crack on her face. Last year, she wanted to be a SteamPunk princess. What does that look like? We're not sure, but it involved a lot of trips to Value Village and the hardware store, plus a lot of hot glue and glitter to bring her vision together.

I have no idea what she has in mind this year, but I'm already afraid. On one hand, it's really cool that she has a vision and tries very hard to design something cool and original, but I am NOT THAT MOM. My son is so much easier. I think he's been a ninja for at least 5 out of 10 years. We can go to the costume store, pay $30 for the off-the-rack ninja costume in a plastic bag and he's satisfied. Thank god.

banjobaby
09-13-2015, 10:46 PM
My eldest wants to be an elf. My middle child wants to be a Revolutionary War Soldier.

Mariam
09-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Avalon,

I am sorry, but I had to laugh. I tell DS that he had to figure it out now, because he too will have a vision of his costume. I want it figured out in plenty of time. I have some veto power over costumes, but I try to get it close.

One year he wanted to be a robot, we went to Home Depot and the Dollar store bought lots of hardware, we duct taped a vest to wear, as well as boot covers and a hat. We spent 3 weeks working on the costume. Now DS has some sensory issues, so I was a little surprised, but I worked with him and he could still wear sweats and a t-shirt under the costume. Well the first day that we could wear it he looked me with sad eyes and said that he couldn't wear it. It didn't feel right. Thank goodness I had prepared for this event and had a simple costume already prepared for him to wear. He felt so bad for the rest of the holiday season, he would say, I'm sorry mama, we worked so hard on it and I can't wear it.

Oh, well. We still have the costume and occasionally I will see him wear it out of his dress-up box.

Diggerbee
09-14-2015, 11:22 AM
We do Halloween too, but since we all have "visions" of terrible detail, we start early. Like last month. We collect costume components. Our goal is to get as much as we can from thrift stores. In my fantasy world I get to be in a Halloween parade, and I get to help the kids and parents make their costumes, and we have a grand old time.

crazyme
09-14-2015, 11:31 AM
I usually ask my boys in August because October sucks. I make their costumes, so that is one time suck. But then at the end of October/beginning of November, my husband and both sons have their birthdays--all within three weeks. We use to do huge, joint birthday parties which were also huge time sucks. But oldest is in 7th grade, so I don't know if he is even going to dress up this year, and youngest switches so many times! He was going to be the Lone Ranger, but now I don't know. Thanks for the reminder...

Collin
09-30-2015, 01:03 AM
My boys have already started arguing over who gets to be Messi, so I assume they both plan to go as soccer players. We're not the most creative bunch.

CrazyMom
09-30-2015, 01:48 AM
Elle is going as a member of the Axe Gang from Kung Fu Hustle. LOL.

It's a simple costume....black dress pants, black vest, white shirt, black shoes, tie, tied back hair. And an axe. LOL.

The Axe Gang are murderous villains in a very funny Kung Fu movie.....who do this very specific dance...to very specific music in the film...that makes them hysterical.

She wants to play the music, and do the Axe Dance across the diag (area in center of campus) and see if anyone knows who she's supposed to be. LOL:) Her biggest hope is that she can inspire others to join her in doing the axe dance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOW5hcbnxzk <---for those unfamiliar with Kung Fu Hustle:)

aselvarial
09-30-2015, 04:57 AM
Avalon, steampunk princess? Now that is AWESOME! I want to do a Steampunk version of Princess Daisy from the Mario world one of these years. :-)

alexsmom
09-30-2015, 08:40 AM
My boys have already started arguing over who gets to be Messi, so I assume they both plan to go as soccer players. We're not the most creative bunch.

Whichever one is shorter! LOL

Marmalade
09-30-2015, 12:08 PM
They NEVER decide in a timely manner. For a while #4 wanted to be Dead Pool and then he wanted to be a zombie and then he wanted to be ...I can't even remember. The older girls are being some Youtubers and #3 is being the same indecisive costume as his younger brother.

My 4 year old dino-obsessed boy waivers between a dinosaur and Batman.

My 2 year old baby is being Spider-Man with a tutu. (I love when they're too young to really decide)

Mariam
09-30-2015, 07:40 PM
The 4 yo could be dino-bat-man

RTB
09-30-2015, 08:43 PM
I just got the cutest pirate costume and hat at Goodwill today with DD. It even has long sleeves (so it will be warm enough) and is a normal length (joy - not a pirate harlot costume) for $9! I hate spending money on Halloween costumes. So what I really need a fist bump emoji, but a happy face will work :o

Mariam
09-30-2015, 08:52 PM
Yes! A fist-bump emoji!

alexsmom
10-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Last year I had store-bought ninja, and the kiwi bird - a vest my mom brought back for DS9 when he was little.
I had previously made costumes, but by this time, had hallo-weenied out with what was fast.

This year if I think I will try reusing the kiwi for the baby, but discussions have been ongoing what older wants to do.

pdpele
10-01-2015, 11:41 AM
I hate the Halloween costume thing - love the night. I can't sew. I am not creative. DH made a...pumpkin head snowman thing from Minecraft...I forget the name..one year out of cardboard boxes (I think they were 12-pack beer boxes, lol.) and construction paper. It was cool and got DS a lot of attention from kids, but all the older adults in our neighborhood were like "what are you??" "Oh, but what is that? Mine-what?"

I am also guilty of using a store bought dinosaur costume 2 years in a row. DS was too young to notice :o. Best $10 ever spent.

havingamagicalday
10-01-2015, 06:02 PM
What pdpele said. Hate the costume stuff, no sewing or creativity. DS is going to be Waluigi. He has been Mario, Luigi, and Wario the last three years so we're continuing the trend. He was thinking PacMan until he saw how wide the costume was :) DD has wanted to be Sabine Wren from Star Wars Rebels all year long. Prefabricated store bought costumes: done and done! We're making the baby be Alice in Wonderland since I found a really cute dress on Amazon and she needed some black mary jane shoes for the holiday season anyway. We figured we'd get her a stuffed Cheshire cat to carry so she doesn't look like a girl in a blue dress with white apron.

Btw, we used a store bought batgirl costume 2 years in a row when DD was 4 & 5. No shame in that game. It's environmentally and economically friendly.

Homeschooling Librarian
10-01-2015, 06:32 PM
M1 wants to be Rocket Raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy, and M2 wants to be WALL-E.

I'll make their costumes, but I also had our TV removed.

Mum2rc
10-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Things are looking to be a lot simpler this year, last year dd was Christine from Phantom of the Opera which caused me to sew a fancy dress, and ds was a creeper- that led to frequently burned fingers from the hot glue gun. This year dd wants to be a black cat and ds a ghost, now just to figure out how to make a 40' spider Web to attach to the house!

Soulhammer
10-06-2015, 04:13 AM
Hello Kitty Pirate Princess for my girl. We found a really cute Hello Kitty eye mask. She will wear fancy dress , black hat with pinned brim, and boots. Seeing as the $2 mask is the only cost, this is a great deal. My son is going as a character from Assassin's Creed.

IEF
10-06-2015, 10:59 AM
ds2 was trying to decide between a zombie and a ninja so ds1 recommended a zombie ninja.

I really love the age spacing between my kids this year.

Marmalade
10-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Update: Oldest boy is going as Jack Skellington. I found a pinstriped suit at the consignment store (Score!) and we are making the tie and doing his make-up. The whole costume shouldn't cost me more than $15 (Fingers crossed)

Next boy will be a pumpkin monster thing (Think the opening scene of The Nightmare Before Christmas). I'm kind of at a loss as to how to make a pumpkin mask.

Youngest boy is now wavering between The Hulk and Iron Man. I've already decided his costume will be store bought. Basically he'll get what they have left.

KittyP
10-07-2015, 03:06 AM
Kiddo wants to be a bat and he wants to make his own costume, so we'll see how that goes. So far he has a pretty solid idea, but I'm not sure how he's going to sew the wings he has planned.

quabbin
10-07-2015, 11:59 AM
DS wants me to make him a bright orange cat costume. At least it'll be easier than last year (a marshmallow!). The kid likes fleece.

Diggerbee
10-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Do Halloween however you have to.

Don't worry if you cannot sew or if you don't feel creative. Buying stuff is not cheating. It's meant to be a night of fun and if that means you have fun in store bought stuff then that is just fine by me.

We love to make stuff, but that is our thing. It's not everyone's thing and we certainly do not hold it against them. I'd appreciate it if you didn't hold my messy house against me though in return ;) House cleaning is not my thing. I have to make myself do it. Sometimes I wish I could go buy a clean house at the store but alas, technology has not caught up to my fantasy. :)

alegre
10-12-2015, 02:33 AM
Older daughter will be the Egyptian cat goddess (Bast), younger will be a cat. Not sure who is supposed to worship whom.

Luv2HS
10-12-2015, 05:24 AM
DS is going as the same thing as last year: sumo wrestler (online bought). Easy:_applaud: It has a fan that keeps it inflated. DD so far has had a few "visions" of her own: phoenix, raven with wings made from chicken wire and LOTS and LOTS of feathers, gunslinger, and vampire with "real" vampire teeth. We'll see....I stayed up real late one year the night before Halloween when very last minute she decided she wanted to be Poison Ivy from Batman. I glued over 300 leaves to a leotard. I don't feel like ever doing that again lol...I think once as a parent is good enough.