PDA

View Full Version : From Soup to Nuts: Who's Next???

Topsy
08-26-2015, 07:44 AM
So, I had a full slate of featured posters in our From Soup to Nuts forum for the summer, but now it's time to regroup. So I thought I'd ask for your input, SHS'ers. Who would YOU like to see featured? Is there an author you'd like to chat with? A curriculum provider you'd like to visit and answer your questions? A blogger you'd like to get in-depth conversation with?

Or maybe some of YOU would like to host? Is there a subject you feel would make a great featured post on From Soup to Nuts, and you feel like you've got a unique angle to lead a discussion on it?

Please weigh in below!

Avalon
08-26-2015, 02:47 PM
How about the lady from Pandia Press? I've read a few of her blog posts in the past and I like what she has to say. She had one several years ago about religion and science that was great. It's not on the website anymore, though.

Other possible topics:
Homeschooling an only child
What happens when the older kids go off to school and leave you at home with just one (sniff, sniff, this is my year)

How homeschooling allows you to "live your values." A friend of mine commented on that once - how homeschooling really lets you live according to your values and teach them to your children, whether that's raising your own food, spending a lot of time in nature, being super-environmental/crunchy, striving for work/life balance, avoiding gender stereotypes, etc... As secular homeschoolers, religion is not part of our homeschooling, but living my values and teaching them to my kids is a big part of why I'm still at it.

fastweedpuller
08-26-2015, 03:15 PM
I think that lady from Pandia Press that Avalon mentioned is Blair Lee. She did the Biology 2 and Chemistry 1 books but is a really interesting, driven person; her son is a 10th grader this year. I have her email if you would like it, Topsy.

Likewise Emily Cook, the person behind Build Your Library, might be an interesting candidate...you can pick her brain about how she comes up with her topics. She also has 4 very different children, needs-wise.

I second the idea of homeschooling a singleton but that's selfish of me :)

Is there an interesting math person you can interview? You know, how to engage a math-hating kid? Maria/Math Mammoth and the guy behind Jump Math and the guy behind Jousting Armadillos come to mind.

TFZ
08-26-2015, 04:21 PM
How about a university admissions officer? A lot of people seem to be planning for college. We are like 14 years away, lol, but I'd be interested in seeing what colleges think of / want from homeschoolers.

Topsy
08-27-2015, 08:38 AM
How about the lady from Pandia Press? I've read a few of her blog posts in the past and I like what she has to say. She had one several years ago about religion and science that was great. It's not on the website anymore, though.

I think that lady from Pandia Press that Avalon mentioned is Blair Lee. She did the Biology 2 and Chemistry 1 books but is a really interesting, driven person; her son is a 10th grader this year. I have her email if you would like it, Topsy.

Blair! Great idea...I've definitely got her email. I'll touch base with her for sure!

Topsy
08-27-2015, 08:39 AM
How about a university admissions officer? A lot of people seem to be planning for college. We are like 14 years away, lol, but I'd be interested in seeing what colleges think of / want from homeschoolers.

LOVE this idea! Let me think through my contacts. If anyone already knows someone who would fit the bill, let me know?

Topsy
09-02-2015, 11:24 AM

Likewise Emily Cook, the person behind Build Your Library, might be an interesting candidate...you can pick her brain about how she comes up with her topics. She also has 4 very different children, needs-wise.

I second the idea of homeschooling a singleton but that's selfish of me :)

Is there an interesting math person you can interview? You know, how to engage a math-hating kid? Maria/Math Mammoth and the guy behind Jump Math and the guy behind Jousting Armadillos come to mind.

Just wanted to let you know I've contacted all three of these ladies about being featured, and hope to hear back from them soon!

Solong
09-03-2015, 12:32 PM
David Sobel, place-based education. I would love his thoughts on how to integrate his philosophy with homeschooling. I'm diy-ing it as best I can, but...

Topsy
09-03-2015, 02:06 PM
David Sobel, place-based education. I would love his thoughts on how to integrate his philosophy with homeschooling. I'm diy-ing it as best I can, but...

I dropped him a request, AnonyMs. Thanks for the suggestion!

LKnomad
09-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Seconding the college admissions idea. This is near and dear to my heart as we head into high school...

Accidental Homeschooler
09-03-2015, 05:07 PM
I third for college admissions. My older dd is just starting this process now. Someone who understands the common app (with the recent changes) for hsers would be particularly helpful.

Topsy
09-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Seconding the college admissions idea. This is near and dear to my heart as we head into high school...

Definitely working on this one!!

inmom
09-06-2015, 09:30 AM
I third for college admissions. My older dd is just starting this process now. Someone who understands the common app (with the recent changes) for hsers would be particularly helpful.
I sooo wish I had someone like this before my son and I have plowed through the Common App, among other applications. Finishing up the process now......

Topsy
09-08-2015, 07:46 PM
I dropped him a request, AnonyMs. Thanks for the suggestion!

Following up to say that Professor Sobel has agreed to be with us sometime later this year!

Topsy
10-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Just an update. I still haven't had any luck getting a homeschool admissions expert lined up, even though a couple of you were gracious enough to pass along names and I've also tracked down a few myself, but so far - - none of those have followed back up with me.

However, we still have Blair Lee from Pandia who'll be with us soon, and next week, per Avalon's request, we'll have someone weighing in on "homeschooling an only".

alexsmom
10-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Sweet!

Is there anyone who can summarize a secular approach to Charlotte Mason? Her compiled writings were way too tedious for me to get through, other summaries Ive seen have been uber-jesusified.... itd be nice to know what the crux (hah!) of the philosophy was.

Maybe thats just me though.

(The CM (Charlotte Mason, not CrazyMom) approach comes up regularly.)

Topsy
10-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Sweet!

Is there anyone who can summarize a secular approach to Charlotte Mason? Her compiled writings were way too tedious for me to get through, other summaries Ive seen have been uber-jesusified.... itd be nice to know what the crux (hah!) of the philosophy was.

Maybe thats just me though.

(The CM (Charlotte Mason, not CrazyMom) approach comes up regularly.)

Ha! We've got a member who blogs about that and has a social community for it. I'll touch base with her to see if she'd be willing to be featured.