PDA

View Full Version : Amusing tale from my dyscalculic daughter

Avalon
08-23-2015, 11:52 AM
My daughter is currently struggling through algebra. I was helping her with a problem the other day, and she was almost finished. She was down to "6x = 42" I prod her with "what do you think, honey" but she can't remember what 42/6 is (not unusual, she rarely does). When she figures out that it's 7, she says,

DD: I kind of have a confession to make. The number 7 has always been strange. It's like it's just not there in my mind.

Me: So when you're counting, you think 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10?

DD: Pretty much. Adding 5+1 is easy and 5+3 is 8, but 5+2 is always a mystery. My mind is just blank, like "what could it be? Hmmmm....."

We had such a good laugh, joking about the mysterious number 7 and minds that go blank. I thought I'd share, because if I don't laugh about it, I might freak out a little. I really thought the 1-100 numbers were solid for her, but I guess I was wrong :)

(what's interesting is that she's quite capable of solving problems - she's doing math roughly at grade level, she's just never sure that her calculations are actually correct, and she frequently forgets basic math facts)