PDA

View Full Version : Another College Story - Or So We Hope

aspiecat
08-19-2015, 08:11 PM
DS has agreed to NOT put off his college application until we know where we're going to live once I get a job. You see, now that DS and I have our EADs and SSNs, we can apply for work (DS wants a part-time job while at college), and DS can apply for college.

He's only 16, so he has only been looking at community colleges nearby - there are three - and we filled in the application form for his first choice yesterday. I talked to the school and they are confident DS will be accepted with his high school scores as he 'attended' an accredited online school. He is prepping for the Accuplacer, which seems to be pretty damned easy, and will hopefully start at the bi-semester point, doing a 50% workload until the semester ends.

It's going to be a huge change for DS, but I think he's mostly ready for it. Being Aspie, he is single-minded to the point of the shades of grey not permeating always when they ought...but hopefully he'll get used to all that.

Aspie

CrazyMom
08-19-2015, 08:17 PM
What an exciting time for all of you, Aspie:) So glad you've got paperwork that allows you to work! That's awesome. So glad your son will be applying this year. Great job both of you!

Mariam
08-19-2015, 08:27 PM
That is wonderful Aspie. Good luck!

crazyme
08-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Congratulations!

Miguel'smom
08-20-2015, 04:34 AM
That's wonderful. Are you ready for him to go to college?

Shoe
08-20-2015, 08:38 AM
Congratulations. It's an exciting time.

inmom
08-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Congrats to the both of you!

aspiecat
08-21-2015, 09:47 AM
That's wonderful. Are you ready for him to go to college?

I am, actually. He'll still be living at home, and has no intention of living away from home until he absolutely as to (eg if, when transferring to university, he is accepted to a uni that is not within commuting difference). It will be a gradual transition for us both, which is good.

groovymom2000
08-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Congrats! That's wonderful news all around.

aspiecat
08-31-2015, 11:18 AM
Thank you all for the wonderful messages of congratulations. He's really excited to be starting.

What he's doing this first semester is a thing called the EZ Start Program. It's designed for students who have been out of the formal education system for some time, or are unsure if college is for them. The program director met with us and recommended it for DS due to (a) his age, (b) his lack of formal education, and (c) his Asperger's. (b) is indeed because he was homeschooled, but she loves homeschooled kids, so it isn't an insult to his ability or lack thereof to do well in tertiary education. It's more about easing him into the classroom environment and the expectations of college-level teaching staff.

It's free - huzzah! - and gives him three credits towards his AA, plus is totally transferable towards the BA he wants to pursue (Digital Marketing).

I really think community colleges are becoming more and more accepted. Which is great, as it's a good way for kids to ease into college life.

Aspie

inmom
08-31-2015, 11:35 AM
Digital Marketing!! Your son certainly knows what the hot field is right now. My husband has been a consultant for digital marketing and is now for digital advertising. They are CONSTANTLY looking for qualified people.

On the other hand, he says his company's role is to put pretty pictures on your cell phone and hope you buy something!! :p He tends to not take himself too seriously.

aspiecat
08-31-2015, 11:48 AM
Digital Marketing!! Your son certainly knows what the hot field is right now. My husband has been a consultant for digital marketing and is now for digital advertising. They are CONSTANTLY looking for qualified people.

On the other hand, he says his company's role is to put pretty pictures on your cell phone and hope you buy something!! :p He tends to not take himself too seriously.

LOL - I will have to tell DS what your DH says about Digital Marketing!!

Solong
08-31-2015, 12:48 PM
NICE! Love to hear that all the paperwork is coming in for your family, aspiecat. It's great to hear a hs secondary to post-secondary transition story too - thanks for sharing.