PDA

View Full Version : DD Successfully starting at college

inmom
08-17-2015, 09:35 AM
We took dd to Univ of Iowa yesterday (Sunday). Amazingly, I did not bawl my eyes out and just got a little teary about it on the drive home. I'm so excited for her and this new stage of life and learning.

She's starting the year with an honors "Primetime" seminar. Her particular group will explore Iowa City, find local stores/biz, interview the owners and staff, take pics, and post their results on a blog available to all U of Iowa students to help learn about not just their university but also the community in which it is based. This is soooo her thing.

Her roommate is sweet and nice, and has a sister who is a junior there so dd can get some useful do's and don'ts from someone in the know. DD even asked a local for directions to the public library and she checked out her first books and movies from there. The kid cannot live without a library!!

It's so nice to realize that what started as a hesitant, year-to-year homeschooling experiment turned out all right in the end.

fastweedpuller
08-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Congratulations on this next step in your journey!!

Sooo glad she seems to have had a nice soft landing...and you too of course.

skrink
08-17-2015, 11:19 AM
LOVE this! Congrats to you and your daughter. You're still the hs mom I most want to be when I grow up. :)

CrazyMom
08-17-2015, 11:24 AM
Good job, inmom! Sounds like your daughter is off to an absolutely awesome start:) You both should feel pretty damned proud and accomplished.

You're a hell of a lot tougher than I am. I cried like a loon. LOL. And will probably cry when we drop Elle off again this year. (cause I'm an emotional dumb ass..lol) Elle and hubby are actually at a point where they tease me about it a little. Mom, I'm running to the store. Don't cry, ok? I'm starting to throw shoes at them. This year will be a lot easier, though. She's looking forward to getting back to her lab job, taking some really interesting classes this term, misses her friends, is excited about having her own apartment. Knowing that she has a really wonderful life there....makes it a LOT easier.

Sounds like your kiddo is in writer paradise. Iowa is such an awesome school for English majors. Wishing her the very best!

PS...let me know how your U of M visit goes this fall with your computer science guy:)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :)

inmom
08-17-2015, 12:53 PM
LOVE this! Congrats to you and your daughter. You're still the hs mom I most want to be when I grow up. :)

Thanks, Skrink. But I'm still growing up. How did I get old enough to have a college kid?!? :o

inmom
08-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Good job, inmom! Sounds like your daughter is off to an absolutely awesome start:) You both should feel pretty damned proud and accomplished.

You're a hell of a lot tougher than I am. I cried like a loon. LOL.

Thanks. DD did all the hard work.

Actually, dh cried the most, starting before we ever left home. He went into her bedroom while she was grabbing a few last things. The emptiness of the room with the knowledge that we'd be dropping her off got to him. He told her he was really going to miss her, crying. She thought he was kidding; she felt bad afterwards and apologized.

I'll let you know how the U of M visit goes. My ds is so pragmatic about all this college stuff. His take: the best combination of program and price. "Campus feel" and such means nothing to him.

Marmalade
08-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Congratulations! This post made me tear up a teensy bit myself!

Shoe
08-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Congratulations to you both. I'm about to take my son off to start college next week. There's a mixture of pride and sadness, excitement and dread, but mostly, like you said, "how did I get old enough to have a college kid?" Wonderful, scary time for you!

inmom
08-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Congratulations to you both. I'm about to take my son off to start college next week. There's a mixture of pride and sadness, excitement and dread, but mostly, like you said, "how did I get old enough to have a college kid?" Wonderful, scary time for you!

Thank you, Shoe. You summed the strange mix of feelings exactly! Congrats and good luck with moving in your son next week!

Topsy
08-18-2015, 08:41 AM
I just knew you were going to make that transition super well, Carol, because you've been so wonderfully prepped for it! You knew it was coming, you helped your daughter make the best choices, and you supported, supported, supported. HUGE congrats to her on what sounds like an amazing opportunity and huge (((hugs))) for you as you continue to transition this year. Even though our oldest is finished with his community college journey, we're in the same boat with him just headed off to another state for a nine-month internship. Aye-yi-yi. The house is so dern quiet these days!!

CrazyMom
08-18-2015, 09:47 AM
"I'll let you know how the U of M visit goes. My ds is so pragmatic about all this college stuff. His take: the best combination of program and price. "Campus feel" and such means nothing to him."

Inmom, don't let U of M's "fun campus" hype deter you from the quality of the academics. US News and World Report ranks U of M at #13 for Computer Science in the Nation. Prolly because the co-founder of Google is an alumni....and has gifted the school generously with the latest and greatest computer stuff. U of M's graduates are highly sought after in the industry.

The price tag from out of state is scary, but there's a ton of gift aid for folks who make less than $115K per year. (not sure if you'd fall into that catagory or not) If you do, it's worth your time to see what the financial aid letter says.

Wherever he goes, best wishes to him!

ejsmom
08-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Congratulations!

Accidental Homeschooler
08-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Congrats to you both! Iowa City is really a great place.

pdpele
08-18-2015, 05:29 PM
What an exciting time for your DD! Congratulations to you both! Hope she loves college life!

LKnomad
08-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Congrats! We will be joining this journey next year!

aspiecat
08-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Oh, I love hearing college stories in this forum. It's so good to know that our choice of education has not kept our kids from college - in fact, it's probably made them more liable to succeed.

Well done to your DD. It's a "life checkpoint" for you and your DH as well as your DD, isn't it?

Aspie

inmom
08-19-2015, 08:10 PM
Well done to your DD. It's a "life checkpoint" for you and your DH as well as your DD, isn't it?Aspie

Oh, yes it is! Has college started for your son yet?

Miguel'smom
08-20-2015, 04:42 AM
Congratulations, and without crying! Hope she'll have a really productive year with some fun too.

aspiecat
08-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Hey Carol

Sorry it's taken so long to respond here. DS starts college in a couple of weeks, actually. As he's unsure of how he'll do, he's starting with a program at a local community college where Freshman will put off a full workload for one semester and do an introduction course instead to 'ease' into tertiary education. He gets 6 credits, which is good.

Hope it's going okay for you and DD in this first week of college!

Aspie

inmom
08-26-2015, 06:33 AM
Aspie,

The transition course sounds like a good idea and pretty progressive. So many kids flame out unprepared; it's a big change.

It's one of the big reasons I had my kids take one or two courses a semester locally while still in high school. They learned about he pacing, expectations, homework and tests of college classes without being overwhelmed AND while still living at home and having that support. We were very lucky to have both a good school and a terrific adviser there.

DD is doing fine. She LOVES her classes and the clubs she joined, but wishes she has her own room! She'll get over it. :p I'm fine too, but I do miss her babble during the day. She's my talker. I wonder who is getting all the conversation at school!! Heaven help them!!!

Keep us updated on how the semester goes for your son. Even though I'm almoot done homeschooling, I still love to hear about how things work for others.