PDA

View Full Version : Big news for tomorrow, Wednesday, August 12

Topsy
08-11-2015, 10:29 AM
If you are a FB follower, definitely note this. If you aren't a FB follower, definitely BECOME ONE (https://www.facebook.com/SecularHomeSchool)before tomorrow!!!!

Life'sAcademyForTwo
08-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Ummm... No thanks.
FB doesn't like my name (since I don't have government "proof") and shut it down and I REFUSE to do another page. I despise FB!
Everybody else can have at it.
Good Luck & Enjoy.

muddylilly
08-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Another Facebook hater here. Bleh!

IEF
08-11-2015, 09:09 PM

https://stallman.org/facebook.html

alexsmom
08-11-2015, 11:53 PM
I get sad when theres really cool stuff on FB... (as Ive whined earlier).
Even to find somethnf on FB, I sort of pester someone whos on it to send me a link and that only works half the time.

Topsy
08-12-2015, 06:01 AM
For site-only giveaways that are short term (24 hours or less) we will usually have about 1/10 or even 1/20 the views/entries that we will get for a FB giveaway in the same period. With that stat in mind, you can likely understand why homeschool vendors who are purchasing giveaway promotions from us are far more interested in a venue with more exposure and interaction. We're definitely sorry for those who choose not to use the social network, that you can't be involved in those, but for us it's a business decision that we have to make to keep the SHS community free for our members.

Shoe
08-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Topsy,

I think you're awesome and I love this site, but it took me several months of frustration to finally (hopefully) delete, not just deactivate, my FaceBook account, after a few incidents involving privacy/potential stalking/possibly threatening messages, so I'm not going back there. I miss some things not being on FB, but overall, I'm happy I'm no longer there.

Shoe
08-12-2015, 09:30 AM
For site-only giveaways that are short term (24 hours or less) we will usually have about 1/10 or even 1/20 the views/entries that we will get for a FB giveaway in the same period. With that stat in mind, you can likely understand why homeschool vendors who are purchasing giveaway promotions from us are far more interested in a venue with more exposure and interaction. We're definitely sorry for those who choose not to use the social network, that you can't be involved in those, but for us it's a business decision that we have to make to keep the SHS community free for our members.

Yes, I can certainly understand that, so don't stop doing those. I just choose not to participate on FB.

alexsmom
08-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Hmmm. I understand going where the money is.
What about a fb notice pointing to the site? This is where SHS wants people to be, isnt it?

I dont mean to be complaining, Im very fond of the site. Just wish faceborg wasnt an assumed part of it.

Mariam
08-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Topsy,

I tried to post a thread, but it said that there would be a delay. The link above for the giveaway doesn't work.

Solong
08-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Join facebook for the miniscule chance to win $1000 worth of... something? Nah.

Alexmom's suggestion makes sense. Link to the site.

Deli76
08-12-2015, 11:34 AM
No FB here...cant stand it

Life'sAcademyForTwo
08-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Here's where it all went awry ~
Topsy says, "If you aren't a FB follower, definitely BECOME ONE before tomorrow!!!! "
I felt like Fb is the ONLY way to do this.

However, looking at the "Official Rules", it says, "Entries may be made by commenting on the official giveaway article. Additional entries may be made by posting about the giveaway on either Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, or a personal blog for a total of 6 potential entries. "

So if one is against Fb one of these options are a choice, if you wanted to enter.

Now ...
"For site-only giveaways that are short term (24 hours or less) we will usually have about 1/10 or even 1/20 the views/entries that we will get for a FB giveaway in the same period. With that stat in mind, you can likely understand why homeschool vendors who are purchasing giveaway promotions from us are far more interested in a venue with more exposure and interaction. "

I can likely understand that. I can also feel that that media is more important then the faithful 1/10 -1/20 that are one here, for financial reasons of course.
Like alexsmom said link from there to here to enter. The idea is to promote THIS site and get people involved HERE, not fb.

"We're definitely sorry for those who choose not to use the social network, that you can't be involved in those, but for us it's a business decision that we have to make to keep the SHS community free for our members."

Please don't feel sorry for me not being on fb. It's because of them I found you. If I wasn't kick off it I had no idea you existed until I Googled "social media place where homeschoolers can set up field trips and post ideas". Then by looking around I found you and Homeschoogle (a pretty dead site). The only two places I am now.
So, even if a 'friend' of mine were to post about this give-a-way, it would of only lead me to, maybe, follow you on fb, and not be here and see what is happening in this community.

I Love this site,now that I found it. Check it and post as often as I can. I love the advice given, questions asked, activity happening, verity of schooling, real world backgrounds, and more.

So lead people here. Show 'em what you're all about. Let us brag for you here and not lead others to a government tracking, two-faced, 'unsocial' media site by making more links for them and not you. Think outside the "book".

TFZ
08-12-2015, 01:27 PM
You do need a fb account to enter. My problem is that I have security settings on to prevent anyone from tagging me without my permission. I'm not going to change my security settings to enter the contest. Here are the rules:

muddylilly
08-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Hey, I get what you're saying, LAFT.
For me, personally, there are two important points.

1. I left facebook because it is more nonsense that I don't care to have in my life. No sour grapes. I'm happy I left.
2. And the most important for me.......I don't care to win pretty much ANY of the products that are paying to be advertised here OR paying to be part of these giveaways.

So the fact that I'm honest about not liking this or that product (and willing to say so) may be a good reason to keep FBers where they are (from a business standpoint), and not here.

Topsy
08-13-2015, 08:04 AM
Yes, I can certainly understand that, so don't stop doing those. I just choose not to participate on FB.

SHOE!! How did I not notice that you were back hanging out at SHS?! SO great to see your profile in the comments. (Sorry all...didn't mean to detour the thread, but I got a little excited there!) :D

Topsy
08-13-2015, 08:06 AM
You do need a fb account to enter. My problem is that I have security settings on to prevent anyone from tagging me without my permission. I'm not going to change my security settings to enter the contest. Here are the rules:

I totally get that, too, and completely understand. But the only other way to figure out how to contact winners since pages aren't allowed to message people directly would be to ask people to enter with their email addresses, and that is just NOT gonna happen. ;)

Topsy
08-13-2015, 08:11 AM
Hmmm. I understand going where the money is.
What about a fb notice pointing to the site? This is where SHS wants people to be, isnt it?

I dont mean to be complaining, Im very fond of the site. Just wish faceborg wasnt an assumed part of it.

We definitely tried that, but because the site requires registration to comment on something, it was just one step too many for entrants - - no matter how great the prize. We in this day and age want quick and easy. Hey - - I can just "like" something to be entered? Okay...I can do that! :P I'm not thrilled with it by any means, and of COURSE I would rather be bringing peeps here than to the book of faces, but it is what it is, and for contests longer than 24 hours, SHS is absolutely ideal. It's just the short term ones that require fast/easy entries and are better suited for Zuckerburg-land.

alexsmom
08-13-2015, 11:57 AM
That easiness thing makes sense, but wheres the advantage to SHS when it doesnt even bring people here to see the site. Youve gotta watch the commercial to get the entry, ya know? Angry Birds Pop has *retry with free boost - if you watch commercial*. Other games have *Earn Free Diamonds / Gold / Gems / Bubbles* for watching commercials.

Whats the harm in saying people have to take a look at SHS in order to get the contest entry?

Or maybe people on the interwebs say *oh free sht just tap here* without even looking or caring about the product or sponsor?

Im very fond of this site, and could only be thrilled if it becomes a more vibrant and shiny beacon to non-religious homeschoolers. So Im not grumping because I couldnt enter to win the stuff, but discouraged because I dont see how it helps SHS site or demographic at all.

Mariam
08-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Building on what alexsmom says, I have discovered the people who are on the Fb version of SHS, they didn't really know about the discussion space. I can't figure out how. I had someone, whom I knew in real life, ask me what forum I was talking about. She "liked" SHS on Fb but didn't know about the forum component. I thought that was odd.

Shoe
08-13-2015, 03:54 PM
SHOE!! How did I not notice that you were back hanging out at SHS?! SO great to see your profile in the comments. (Sorry all...didn't mean to detour the thread, but I got a little excited there!) :D

Thanks, Topsy. It's nice to be (kind of) back, and considering homeschooling my daughter again for her last year of high school. This site has always been an oasis in the electronic desert for me, so I'm happy to be around more again.

Life'sAcademyForTwo
08-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Building on what alexsmom says, I have discovered the people who are on the Fb version of SHS, they didn't really know about the discussion space. I can't figure out how. I had someone, whom I knew in real life, ask me what forum I was talking about. She "liked" SHS on Fb but didn't know about the forum component. I thought that was odd.

That's why I said below ~ "So, even if a 'friend' of mine were to post about this give-a-way, it would of only led me to, maybe, follow you on fb, and not be here and see what is happening in this community."

I'm not surprised at all. Fb has the world wrapped up in Fb, so does the rest of society. "Like us on FB', Click & Share, Post & Tag, blah, blah, blah.

It doesn't show the REAL thing unless you know about it and verbally tell people or show them (in my case also write it down). All this "fast & now" has lead us in good ways and bad. It's a double edged sword. You just need to know how to walk & play both sides and be careful of the edges.

Alexsmom if right that people see FREE and click it, & move on with out a thought.

Topsy
08-14-2015, 07:18 AM
That easiness thing makes sense, but wheres the advantage to SHS when it doesnt even bring people here to see the site.

That one's easy! Vendors purchase FB promotions from us, just like they purchase ad space on the site. Since not everyone is going to be a "forum person" and not everyone is going to be a "FB person", we are able to reach a wider audience of secular homeschoolers for our vendors by offering information and promotions in both places. And we are able to have enough operating income to keep the site going and hopefully improving and growing from those purchases!

Diggerbee
08-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Mariam wrote:

Diggerbee responds:
Internet search results are different for people in different states and regions. Sounds weird but it is true. And it's a pain. No matter how good you are at internet searches, if you cannot find away around this one bizarre internet search engine issue, then it affects all your search engine results. After seeing another thread that shows "bizarre search engine results" for this site itself, I can only imagine what else is going on out there.

Most search engines sell advertisement space, and that means free results which my be content dependent, still cannot top, paid ad space placement, or it may skew results. In addition navigating FB is quite different from navigating the regular web, or at least it was when I used to use FB. I don't care for it either (like a previous poster Shoe). It reminds me of the worst parts of high school, very shallow and not fun and the whole issue of prospective employers trolling for dirt using FB is a big turn off, because they aren't allowed to ask you about religion or sexual orientation etc., in an interview in most cases, but they can find out on FB and still use prejudice and bigotry as a tool for employee placement. This country has a lot of work to do in terms of protecting personal privacy from corporations in the interest of civil rights on every level.

Mariam
08-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Actually this is a different issue that i am addressing, Diggerbee. Sorry if I was unclear. People who are already on Fb, will "like" SHS on Fb, but they will not click through to the SHS homepage to see these forums and are surprised to find that there is so much more than a Fb page to the group.

Diggerbee
08-22-2015, 10:58 PM
Oh, I am sorry for not getting the gist of the conversation. Thanks for setting me straight. :)