PDA

View Full Version : The Type of Homeschooling You Do?

Life'sAcademyForTwo
08-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Are you

Box curriculum

Eclectic

Unschooler

Unit studies

Other

quabbin
08-08-2015, 04:53 PM
We are happily eclectic, with materials from about ten different companies.

IEF
08-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Eclectic, until somebody says, "How can you call yourself eclectic when you don't even...." at which point I will sigh and say, "Fine, then. I'm not eclectic. I'm Ethel, pleased to meet you."

Miguel'smom
08-08-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm Eclectic

dbsam
08-08-2015, 09:37 PM
I chose 'other'.
I guess the best description is that we are eclectic leaning towards unschooling or child-led learning.

crunchynerd
08-08-2015, 10:15 PM
We're eclectic, meaning in our case, never as structured as I imagine I'll be able to pull off THIS year, and we have a zillion different bits and pieces of curriculum, some of which we bought new, most of which I found at the thrift store, some of which is 20 years old, and most of which we have never used. Groan.

I think "magpie" would describe me better. Look, a shiny button! Gotta stash it! Might use it someday!

ACtually, it's exactly the same mentality that causes some of us to occasionally realize we need to let go of our Fabric Stash. You know, the fabric collection that gets far too big to justify, full of unrealized hopes, dreams, and ambitions? That must sooner or later be faced and disposed of, dropped off at Goodwill because we have to finally face the fact that we're never going to use it because it's always too nice to use? I had 6 yards of really excellent tartan wool suiting in lovely warm autumn colors...perfect for something. Something I will live and die without ever getting around to making. So I let it go, and vowed to stop giving in to that urge.

But now I do it with curriculum.

KittyP
08-09-2015, 01:14 AM
Definitely eclectic. I wouldn't even say we've pieced it together; other than Khan for math and a 3-year journal for writing nothing is permanent. I guess it could also be considered unschooling, but Kiddo doesn't get a choice about Khan or the journal.

Life'sAcademyForTwo
08-09-2015, 08:36 PM
We are unschoolers.
Started out in a Montessori school.
Moved to homeschooling and did some home 'paper work' stuff. Then my youngest (7 or 8 at the time) flipped out and had several melt downs. So, I kept with the Montessori and followed my kids, which led to unschooling.

Nice to meet everyone :)

ejsmom
08-09-2015, 09:25 PM
I checked "other", but am usually eclectic, but feel like I need a choice of "I don't know."

I have bought boxed curriculum in the past (K12, then OM), but never have used their math and rarely their Language Arts - those I piecemeal and create myself. I also don't follow the schedule as laid out at all (though with OM English, I do pick and choose from it from time to time for ideas because it ties in with history, usually.) I add a ton of stuff from all kinds of other sources - from MCT, to traditional textbooks, from online, worksheets, tutors, independent study, stuff I create from a mess of different sources, and that includes group classes, but I also try to follow my kid's interests as much as possible and so feel more child-led a good deal of the time. Though, often I have to introduce a topic first to spark an interest and see where he goes with it.

Also, we go through periods that look remarkably like "unschooling", but probably wouldn't pass muster with dedicated unschooling enthusiasts. And when DS gets a bug up his butt about a particular topic, I switch to "unit study" mode to make the most of it, as well.

So "other" it is for us. Over the years we've evolved into homeschooling -in our style, and I'm not sure it falls into a simple classification anymore. I'd call it more "Riding the Waves" style.

CrazyMom
08-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Unschooler....until someone says, "Children don't really need to learn to read, write or do math." While I'm pretty staunchly in the camp of child-led learning.....child-led doesn't mean parent-absent in my book. I subscribe to the version of unschooling where parents are active guides and facilitators who know what their kids are doing and work to help enhance their learning. A really talented unschooler (to me, anyway) provides subtle guidance in a useful way...while respecting the choices of a truly content child. (even if those choices are not always in synch with the parent's personal priorities)

But when a kid gets lost or stuck (bored, no longer learning, in a rut), I think saying..."Hey kid, what's going on over there? Go see if that's the path! Lead on!" ....is responsible (and necessary) parenting. I also think goal discussions are fair and necessary.

I'm a firm believer in actionable daily steps toward long term goals.

I'm a firm believer in many many different ways up the mountain, so to speak.

I'm a firm believer in carrots instead of whips.

I'm a firm believer in not nagging, not causing tears, and not repeating methods that don't work.

I'm a firm believer in listening to your kids twice as much as you instruct them.

I firmly believe in supporting all choices and aspirations. (unless, like, my kid wanted to be a boxer or something....because sports where the goal is inflicting brain damage are just stupid...lol)

Avalon
08-09-2015, 10:42 PM
There should be a box for "all of the above." I'm sure I've tried them all over the years. Maybe I'm eclectic, or just lazy :)

RachelC
08-09-2015, 11:45 PM
Just stumbled on this blog tonight, and I am really liking the 'tidal' metaphor. It seems to fit our style:

What is Tidal Homeschooling? - Melissa Wiley (http://melissawiley.com/tidal-homeschooling/)

Solong
08-10-2015, 01:31 PM
We call ourselves Omschoolers. We follow our bliss. If I look at the definitions, though, we most closely fit place-based schooling.

Marmalade
08-10-2015, 03:25 PM
I clicked other but really I guess we're eclectic with a major lean towards unschooling/child-led. Curriculum for math and whatever else they specifically ask for and interest led with everything else.

Life'sAcademyForTwo
08-10-2015, 08:46 PM
That's an interesting perspective.
A friend & I made up "Chinlerist" ~ Child-interest-led-learning." She said "If there's Pinerest, why not "Chinlerest?"

Thanks for sharing!

muddylilly
08-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Still slackschooling here!!!

LOL! I love to say that, just because I like to irritate the "school-at-homers" that turn up their nose at unschoolers, relaxed-schoolers and those that are eclectic. This is what most hsers local to me are.....think bible and Abeka, Apologia....bleh

I am really more eclectic and go with whatever is effective depending of the kid and the subject. Some stuff with one boy might be unschoolish, sometimes unit study all together, while some is done "by the book". Add to that, it changes every year (sometimes within one year) so we just kind of go with the flow.

I suppose it goes along the lines of AnonyMs Omschooling. I'm just more annoying :)

azdad
08-11-2015, 06:00 PM
I picked "eclectic" just because we use a purchased curriculum for some topics and not for others. (And of course it has changed over time.)

I am so impressed with the un-schoolers who still demand rigor and challenge for their kids. I am sooo bone-lazy - just like to have the structure and security of a curriculum to guide our exploration of the math or history world. My hats off to you guys who are pulling together all the resources yourselves and coaxing amazing work out of your kids - well done :)

Mariam
08-11-2015, 08:58 PM
I picked other - I would say we are eclectic unschoolers, some would argue we aren't unschoolly enough (have a science curriculum that DS wants - so is that unschool or box?) , so eclectic covers all bases.

WindSong
08-11-2015, 09:58 PM
We are eclectic in general. Although I have tried all of the ones mentioned except for unschooling. We are trying a more interest lead approach this year especially with science.

Homeschooling Librarian
08-12-2015, 01:07 AM
We're probably eclectic, but I might be an Ethel instead. ;)

aselvarial
08-15-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm picking "other" because I'm probably an "ethel". :-) We are just starting, so I'd originally intended (before we actually KNEW our child) to be online. Then box curriculum. Except as we actually got to know our child, we are finding out he's exceptionally stubborn about things he doesn't want to do. So we work around what he doesn't want to do, to get what needs doing done in a way he'l actually do it. (ie, the single letter approach to handwriting practice does NOT work and will lead to a complete and total meltdown, but an entire page of words or names, those he's quite happy to do). I'm not comfortable enough yet to do all unschooling, but unit studies, while fascinating, will only work in short units so not sure that I'm comfortable with that. Right now, it's probably closer to eclectic than anything else, but I'm still going with "other" as who knows where we'll be in 6 weeks.

Bobslaststand
08-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Voted eclectic. But when people ask, I always say we do a bit of both: we send our kids to various 'schools,' like an art school for an art class and they have teachers for this and sport and music. Then we have some structured homeschooling time, using materials I gathered from all over the place. Aside from that, my kids have all the time they want to follow their own interests (aka, unschooling). We do a bit of everything.

Really irritates people who are into labels and makes me laugh :)

outskirtsofbs
08-15-2015, 09:15 PM
We're eclectic and use lots of different materials.

Maela
08-16-2015, 01:41 AM
I don't know. We do some math and writing and Spanish every day. Then we read a lot. Our day is simple but fairly structured.

Melyssa
10-13-2015, 05:25 PM
I had to vote 'other'. This is the first year I don't technically do any homeschooling. My daughter takes 3 courses once a week at a homeschool program (Trig, Chemistry, Govt/Econ) and then attends a nearby community college part-time. She went there last year also. Currently she is taking English Composition and Spanish 1. As a homeschool mom, it's been a strange adjustment after 10 years to not really be doing anything except nagging to make sure her homework is done or whatever. LOL