PDA

View Full Version : Just curious...homeschool families and radio

Topsy
07-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Okay, so I'm naturally curious by nature, therefore forgive me if this is a totally "out there" question, but do you still listen to AM/FM radio? I mean, we've moved quickly into the era of satellite radio and streaming services, so I wonder if anyone besides myself still just flips on the radio in the car and actually listens. If not, I'd love to hear what your alternative choices are!

panama10
07-22-2015, 08:47 AM
I do in the car. I don't have a fancy car with satellite radio ;) so I listen to the local stations on my way in to work. Plus I need the traffic update and local news so it's a win win.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
07-22-2015, 09:10 AM
We often listen to an FM station that plays a nice mix of music from the 1960s to the present (with no godawful pop crap or racy lyrics). My kids hear a pretty wide variety of music and like everything from David Bowie to One Republic and have an ever changing list of "favorite" and "super favorite" songs.

alexsmom
07-22-2015, 09:26 AM
DH listens to FM in his car to/from work since his cars cd player weenied out.
My car has sat radio, traffic comes from the nav map, but I usually listen to songs from our music collection. When the sat radio opis on, it usually plays classical or the kids station, which plays fun songs like from Dr D etc. (Last time we listened they had the elements song to the tune of Very Model of a Modern Major General (from Pirates of Penzance).

inmom
07-22-2015, 09:45 AM
I do in the car, mostly NPR or local talk radio. However, I'm not in the car all that much.

fastweedpuller
07-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Only NPR (plus 10 characters).

ejsmom
07-22-2015, 11:20 AM
At home I use Pandora, in the car usually satellite radio, but my subscription that came with the new car just ended and while I love it, I'm not sure I can justify the price. So back to FM radio (DS loves classic rock.) I could stream Pandora in the car, it's set up for that, but I think it uses up my data plan. I'm not sure how to make that work, either. My car is too technically advanced for me. It makes me a little uncomfortable, frankly. I'm not very savvy about all the new technology available. I know how to bluetooth my phone to play my downloaded music. I think. DS usually does it while I drive so he can choose the tunes.

CrazyMom
07-22-2015, 11:42 AM
NPR in the car. Also, when I'm driving home late from my bestie's place, I'll listen to an oldies station. I've got the thingy to hook my cell phone playlist into the car audio, but never have the patience to get it set up in her driveway in the dark.

Elle will use the MP3 player interface religiously in the car, though. No radio for her. But she will listen to NPR if it's a program we like.

Hubby likes to stream NPR on his comp. It's the background noise of our house.

Elle's college is the home of Michigan Public Radio. She says it reminds her of home....so she feels at home to hear it in the background both places:)

TFZ
07-22-2015, 11:46 AM
FM or Pandora for free in my car. DH listens to ESPN radio on FM. I drove his car last weekend, and listening to gold coverage was surprisingly relaxing.

Mariam
07-22-2015, 11:49 AM
In the car I listen to NPR and a local oldies station. Nothing like feeling old, when the music of my youth is considered "oldies".

muddylilly
07-22-2015, 11:57 AM
NPR in the car, just like a lot of you. Sometimes NPR on my emergency radio a few times a year to make sure it's still in working order.

fastweedpuller
07-22-2015, 12:25 PM
Interesting, re: NPR, etc. DD and hubs and I had a very interesting discussion Monday about what constitutes the public in radio or TV. We were listening in the car to a CBC (Canadian) show about funding and direction (if you know anything about the Jian Ghomeschi flap you'll know what this is about) and DD had her mind blown a bit. I didn't get into the discussion of the scandal, just the discussion of what commercial vs noncommercial radio (or tv) truly is. And that publicly-funded things like NPR or CBC or BBC etc. have to have ethics and standards in place that balance their public vs their government or their corporate sponsors and/or shareholders. And each of these things has a varied mix of gvt/corp funding. It can be a fine line, but that line gets tipped once gvt gets out and commercial interests get in. Koch bros, etc.

But commercial tv and radio, etc. are on the air for their corporate sponsors...it's out in the open, because of their commercials. That's how they make their money. You can like their product but the price you pay is commercials.

rosewolf
07-22-2015, 12:40 PM
My husband listens to NPR. I sometimes turn on a station that plays music from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, but that's about it. I don't listen for all that long, typically, because I get tired of commercials. I do find that my daughter has no idea what some of the popular songs or people are these days, but I don't care. She's a big Jason Mraz fan, which is, in my opinion, much better than the teeny bopper music. :)

jenblackwell2
07-22-2015, 01:55 PM
I stream NPR, but listen in the car when I am w/o kiddos. When I have the kids we do books... get a little read aloud time in while driving. :)

For music we stream Amazon or I have a XM app on my phone, which I will probably cancel soon, because Amazon Prime radio and streaming is pretty great.

RTB
07-22-2015, 03:36 PM
We listen to some FM radio stations. My husband is always on sports radio shows, some AM some FM.

MNDad
07-22-2015, 05:26 PM
We listen to classical Minnesota Public Radio in car.

LKnomad
07-22-2015, 08:21 PM
The car came with XM radio and when the subscription ran out I read up on how to get the best deal. If you simply say it is too expensive and call to cancel, Sirius/XM will transfer you to a person who is authorized to give you a better deal. Then you just keep saying - no too expensive.....until you get a price you like.

I think the best deal I have had so far is $4.75 a month for 6 months. I have to constantly renegotiate but it is worth it!

HawaiiGeek
07-23-2015, 01:44 AM
satellite radio doesn't work in Hawaii, so I listen to a local alternative station and NPR when I am actually alone in the car. It is actually nice to listen to the local station - keeps me in touch with the local culture.

Topsy
07-23-2015, 07:14 AM
The car came with XM radio and when the subscription ran out I read up on how to get the best deal. If you simply say it is too expensive and call to cancel, Sirius/XM will transfer you to a person who is authorized to give you a better deal. Then you just keep saying - no too expensive.....until you get a price you like.

I think the best deal I have had so far is $4.75 a month for 6 months. I have to constantly renegotiate but it is worth it!

Wow! What a great tip!!

Topsy
07-23-2015, 07:15 AM
I'm super shocked how many of us listen to NPR when driving...apparently it's a thing. LOL

quabbin
07-23-2015, 02:58 PM
I do not ever listen to people talking on the radio, because SHUT UP AND PLAY MUSIC.

I wake up to the classical station. We listen to CDs in the car. DS does not like the classical station, and there is nothing else I want him to hear--everywhere else, the music is a genre I dislike, the words are inappropriate or the commercials are obnoxious.

KittyP
07-23-2015, 06:33 PM
We have an older car, so AM/FM it is. I prefer Pandora for music and NPR I usually listen to through their app-thing that was pre-installed on our bluray player when we're in the house. We have Amazon Prime so we listen to their free music a lot, and that's what Kiddo's music is on so he can listen to it on any device and we can customize it.

Avalon
07-24-2015, 10:23 PM
I listen to the radio in the morning because my clock radio is set to play the radio (I don't like beeping). I also listen to CBC radio or the local popular/easy-listening station while driving or cooking dinner.

Solong
07-25-2015, 11:29 AM
We love CBC. Quirks and Quarks, The Debaters, The Art of Pursuasion... yay!

crazyme
07-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Another NPR listener here. We listen to Pandora at home, although I'm trying to turn on the NPR stream more often. I want a radio for the house so I can just turn NPR on.

In the car, it is usually NPR. We are lucky and have three NPR channels: talk, classical, and Americana (for lack of a better word--it is popular music, but independent--it depends on who is manning the helm). It is often on the talk station and the boys and I have had so many great discussions on current issues and different issues that may not usually come up in conversation. But being on the coast, it doesn't always come in--the headlands can really screw up the signal. So if I go up or down the coastline, I switch it to the area pop station which has a super-strength signal.

I miss our days in northern Minnesota. We would listen to NPR a lot, but mostly it was the local independent station. It played the whole host of music, from Americana to Rock to Polka and beyond, and a couple times a day they would read people's messages--it was a way to contact people in the wilderness or who didn't have a phone. It was great. It was owned by Charles Kuralt as a hobby, then by another independent owner, and now is owned by the local Native American tribe. I hope it is still its quirky self.

Annalee
08-02-2015, 02:18 AM
I listen only in the car. My three choices are 1- a throwback hip-hop station (I'm a teen of the 90s, lol) 2-an "adult contemporary" station, and 3- sports radio, if it's football season.

CrazyGooseLady
08-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Yup. We listen to NPR talk in the morning and while making dinner, classical while doing school work. My daughter and husband prefer rock when we are in the car. We all enjoy listening to shows like "Car Talk" and "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." We do listen to "Say's You" on the internet because we don't have it locally.

Topsy
08-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Yup. We listen to NPR talk in the morning and while making dinner, classical while doing school work. My daughter and husband prefer rock when we are in the car. We all enjoy listening to shows like "Car Talk" and "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." We do listen to "Say's You" on the internet because we don't have it locally.

I don't know about 'Says You', so off to Google that one! :)

Melyssa
10-13-2015, 05:27 PM
We never listen to AM/FM radio. In our cars we have Sirius XM and at home we use Spotify or the music channels on our DirecTv.