PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to participate in a book group?

Mariam
07-07-2015, 12:10 PM
There are so many books for homeschooling and some that I have read that I really want to talk about.

Would you be interested in participating in a book group for secular homeschoolers?

We could discuss a book a month that focuses on homeschooling or we could select a topic (like unschooling) and have 2-3 books that we can discuss.

1)Yes, I would love to discuss books with y’all!
2)Yes, I would like to, but it would depend on the book and/or my time.
3)No, I know I won’t have the time to read a book in addition to my other work.
4)No, a book group won’t work for me.
5)Other

IEF
07-07-2015, 03:23 PM
YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!!

Of course I would also like to go to the moon and end all wars forever, so my realistic ability to participate would have to depend on how much time I had and whether I already owned the book or could find a used copy that I could afford to have shipped here in time.

ejsmom
07-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Sounds interesting. I am intrigued. I answer number 2. And can we drink wine, like a book club IRL?

muddylilly
07-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Did someone say wine???? I'm in!

Oh, and yes to the book part too ;)

RTB
07-07-2015, 04:28 PM
I'd be into a book a month. I know I won't do more than that, and yes to wine.

TFZ
07-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Also in for wine.
Do they still have online chat Rooms?

IEF
07-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Do they still have online chat Rooms?

There's IRC. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat)

Riceball_Mommy
07-07-2015, 06:29 PM
2 for me as well. I'm finally starting to get caught up with my daughter for our book club. So I can start thinking about my personal reading again.

TFZ
07-07-2015, 07:26 PM
There's IRC. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat)

Lol I have no clue what I just read.

alexsmom
07-07-2015, 10:09 PM
LOL I didnt know they still had Internet Relay Chat.

Im interested.

Will sub out wine for hard cider.

dbsam
07-08-2015, 12:08 AM
I answer #2

LKnomad
07-08-2015, 12:44 AM
Wait they still have IRC????

Soulhammer
07-08-2015, 06:38 AM
2, as long as there's chocolate along with the wine. Or maybe whiskey instead of the wine.

artemis74
07-08-2015, 01:38 PM
I would be very interested in this as well. Count me in the wine too:) I don't know much about chatrooms thought so would need to be "schooled" on that:)

Starkspack
07-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Yes! Me too! Number 2, plus wine!

HawaiiGeek
07-08-2015, 09:30 PM
#2 and given the time difference for me, I may need to wait on the hard cider until later. :p

pdpele
07-09-2015, 10:46 AM
I'd be in! Wine is nice...but I'm usually a beer gal.

Mariam
07-09-2015, 04:30 PM
What should we read? What would be your preferences.

I just finished reading Free to Learn by Peter Grey and I am anxious to talk about it, but I am open to ideas.

crunchynerd
07-09-2015, 09:47 PM
erm, what book?

If it's a book I liked, yes. If not, nope. Sorry if that's brusque, but anyone else would answer the same: it depends on the book in question.

Mariam
07-09-2015, 09:55 PM
erm, what book?

If it's a book I liked, yes. If not, nope. Sorry if that's brusque, but anyone else would answer the same: it depends on the book in question.

No, I get it. Right now there is no book picked out. I was hoping to go for a consensus of what people were interested in reading and talking about.

What would people be interested in talking about?

dbsam
07-09-2015, 11:29 PM
What should we read? What would be your preferences.

I just finished reading Free to Learn by Peter Grey and I am anxious to talk about it, but I am open to ideas.

I read Free to Learn the summer of 2013 - the first year we HS'd (At the time, it made me feel better about our choice to HS and to send our children to a democratic school once or twice a week.). I am probably not going to read it again, but I would be wiling to skim through it to jog my horrible memory in order to participate. I think I would have a different response to his words now that we had a democratic school experience. I had an opportunity to hear him speak at a Sudbury school in a Chicago suburb; unfortunately I wasn't able to make it. If they host him again this year I hope to go.

muddylilly
07-10-2015, 11:09 AM
So, I don't know much about Free to Learn. I get the feeling, by reading Amazon, that it focuses toward unschooling and younger kids? Am I wrong? Not voting against it, just deciding.

Mariam
07-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Free to Learn is kind of about unschooling. He really focuses on play and the problem with too much structure, particularly as it is happening in public school. He usually talks about democratic schooling (a school that uses unschooling principles with the kids) It is about all ages, not just young children.

Mariam
07-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Also, we could select something from this list:

http://www.secularhomeschool.com/homeschool-links-info/16543-pick-your-top-three-homeschool-help-books.html

alexsmom
07-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Im open to reading about anything, but would request that books be available in ebook format. :)

Oksana
07-12-2015, 02:56 PM
I would read Free To Learn ... even though I have read quite a few articles written by Peter Grey. I agree with most and try to implement his approach with my kids ... so I am afraid that the book will not have anything new for me...... and there are no Sudbury schools where we live anyway.

IEF
07-12-2015, 03:44 PM
I follow Peter Grey's blog and would love to read the book someday; mind if I listen in?

muddylilly
07-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Well, I'm certainly not against it.....and frankly I am at a loss to come up with a better idea for a book, so I'm not really in a position to protest. I've read enough "starting out" homeschooling books, so don't need anymore convincing of it's merits....been at it for enough years now :) The reviews on Amazon look good, but I may just listen in???

Right now I'm rereading "Free Range Kids" from L. Skenazy....cause it's just darn amusing....and flipping around in my Lee Binz's books trying to calm myself as I prep for my oldest ds to begin 9th grade. That's the best I got.

There were a lot (it seemed) of positive reactions to the book club idea, but not a lot of ideas for books. I feel like we are leaving you hangin' Mariam.......herding cats.....sigh ;)

Mariam
07-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Well, it seems that most of us want an adult drink and something bookish to talk about ;)

So, here are a few options

1) Read the Peter Grey book Free to Learn
2) Read something by Peter Grey, book or blog for discussion (that way everyone who might be interested can participate.
3) Read something completely unrelated to homeschooling.
4) Just drink.

IEF
07-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Some books I'd love to discuss:

Deschooling Gently, by Tammy Takahashi

I read that one when my little was a toddler/preschooler and my bigs were in PS or college. It was good, but I was kind of clueless about cultural references to some not altogether positive changes in the homeschooling community and society at large. I get it now, but seem to lack the motivation to revisit it without some hand holding and a shoulder to cry on.

Also, John Taylor Gatto's magnum opus, The Underground History of American Education (https://archive.org/details/JohnTaylorGattoTheUndergroundHistoryOfAmericanEduc ationBook)

I read that by myself in 2005ish and bawled my eyes out. There's a lot to process that might be easier if you had someone to share with chapter by chapter.

I'm sure there are a lot of other good books out there, but if you could see my credit card bill, my overstuffed bookshelves and hard drives, and everything that didn't make the cut and had to be tossed in the recycling bin last month you'd understand why I'm not buying anything new right now.

TFZ
07-12-2015, 05:15 PM
I'll happily read/drink anything. Most of my reading is done in the dark next to a sleeping baby; digital options would be appreciated. I won't have to turn on the light. I have no idea who any of these authors are, so no opinions on what to read.

IEF
07-12-2015, 06:52 PM
How about oldie moldy goldies for the benefit of TheFoxZoo and other new folks? I know Arvind Gupta took down John Holt, but there are probably still digital copies on the internet somewhere if you're clever at looking for such things.

Hard Times in Paradise (http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Times-Paradise-David-Colfax-ebook/dp/B002AEE8PC/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1436741412&sr=8-1&keywords=Hard+Times+in+Paradise) is a more interesting read than the Colfaxes first and better known book, IMNSHO.

Oksana
07-12-2015, 07:11 PM
... Hard Times in Paradise (http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Times-Paradise-David-Colfax-ebook/dp/B002AEE8PC/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1436741412&sr=8-1&keywords=Hard+Times+in+Paradise) is a more interesting read than the Colfaxes first and better known book, IMNSHO.

Thanks! I would read any of these two books (actually bought them already). I love reading personal first-hand homeschooling stories .... much more than reading homeschooling books written by "experts".

IEF
07-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks! I would read any of these two books (actually bought them already). I love reading personal first-hand homeschooling stories .... much more than reading homeschooling books written by "experts".

Not secular but o...m....f....g.....
(http://www.heidelberggraphics.com/Wild%20Rose%20Publishing/As%20Geese%20Fly%20South%20rev.htm) and the sequel (http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Next-Tree-Hiona/dp/B000SV6ZGY/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436745495&sr=1-3) too. I finally got my hands on them when the new baby was born after mailing off many checks to addresses on her website and having them come back to me and it was so worth it. If you can get past the buy bull babble it really puts things into perspective during hard times and you can get them both on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/As-Geese-Fly-South-Hiona/dp/0967262704) now.

Oksana
07-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Not secular but o...m....f....g.....
(http://www.heidelberggraphics.com/Wild%20Rose%20Publishing/As%20Geese%20Fly%20South%20rev.htm) and the sequel (http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Next-Tree-Hiona/dp/B000SV6ZGY/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436745495&sr=1-3) too. I finally got my hands on them when the new baby was born after mailing off many checks to addresses on her website and having them come back to me and it was so worth it. If you can get past the buy bull babble it really puts things into perspective during hard times and you can get them both on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/As-Geese-Fly-South-Hiona/dp/0967262704) now.

I might try these too...I am usually pretty good about skimming past all of religious babble.
Thanks again.

Mariam
07-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Some books I'd love to discuss:

Deschooling Gently, by Tammy Takahashi

Also, John Taylor Gatto's magnum opus, The Underground History of American Education (https://archive.org/details/JohnTaylorGattoTheUndergroundHistoryOfAmericanEduc ationBook)

These sound good too. Or we can read John Holt. The fact that Gatto's book is available online for free might be helpful to everyone.

muddylilly
07-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Free is good. I've never read Gatto, but I've wanted to. Wish beer, wine, hard cider or whiskey were free....booo :)

pdpele
07-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Gatto would be fine for me - thanks for the link Iron Ethel Flint. Definitely blood-boiling he usually is - but I haven't read Underground History.

I think you'll have to make the call Mariam...

PatchMomma
07-17-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm game! If it's homeschool related I'd prefer something that relates to all ages. I'd even be open to something that's not strictly homeschool but something like history, science, etc.

Love the wine suggestion, maybe I'll finally start to make some headway into my store of homemade wine. Love making it, just never get around to drinking it. LOL

crunchynerd
07-21-2015, 09:58 AM
I'm so outclassed here! I was thinking Harry Potter, hehe. I enjoy Gatto's writing style: lush, vivid, with a sense of humor reminiscent of Samuel Clemens/ Mark Twain. He does do a bang-up job of overstating the case, and making a large, gorgeous picture out of whatever he turned his pen to, but whatever he writes, whether I necessarily agree, is fun to read! And I mostly tend to agree, at least with the broad brushstrokes of his points.

crunchynerd
07-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Love the wine suggestion, maybe I'll finally start to make some headway into my store of homemade wine. Love making it, just never get around to drinking it. LOL

We'd be the perfect dynamic duo, PatchMomma: I'd love drinking it but have never yet tried making it. But I have a suspicion I'd prefer consuming it, over producing it!

RTB
07-21-2015, 10:36 AM
I'll read whatever.

Oksana
07-26-2015, 01:41 AM
I just finished Homeschooling for Excellence by David Colfax and Micki Colfax. Would gladly discuss it with anyone interested.

Starkspack
08-10-2015, 08:49 AM
I went on vacation right around the time of this thread. Now it seems to have died. Thoughts? I'm game to read something! Oh, and of course...wine.

azdad
08-10-2015, 02:29 PM
I have the new Harper Lee book - Go Set a Watchman - sitting next to me. Anyone want to read that in a group?