PDA

View Full Version : Are Secular Homeschoolers More Likely to Approve of the Marriage Equality Ruling?

aspiecat
07-03-2015, 01:15 PM
DH, DS, my PILs and DH's paternal grandparents are all ecstatic about the SCOTUS ruling regarding same-sex marriage. However, my MIL's side of the family - her mother, her brothers and their own families - are all against it, and are stopping all communication with us (unless they need something) as we are for this new law.

I have also noticed some homeschooling families are not in favour of the ruling - namely non-secular homeschoolers. It's both saddening and unsurprising that a sector of the homeschooling community is against same-sex marriage, but there's bigotry for ya. OTOH, I haven't seen negative comments from any secular homeschooling families at all.

Goes hand in hand, do you think?

Aspie

KittyP
07-05-2015, 03:52 PM
I don't think it a secular vs. religious point of view, at least not so generally. My family is pretty religious and they're divided on it. Maybe it's open-mindedness, maybe it's just the degree of fundamentalism, though those two do tend to have an inverse correlation, but I know more religious people who are for the ruling than against it. Even my fairly fundamental relatives are mostly neutral, which surprised me. A few are being vocally adverse, but I think most of them just figure the world is shot and this is just one step closer to the second coming. *sigh*

Sorry, religious TMI, but anyway most of the religious folks I know still aren't all that upset about it, so I can't say it's a purely religious divide or even something I can associate with homeschoolers since I don't know any outside this forum. I'd venture a guess that most of the opposition is heavily fundamentalist xtian in bias, but just based off of the statistics most of the supporters are also likely xtian, otherwise it would have never gotten this far.

murphs_mom
07-05-2015, 04:03 PM
I chose the third, but I think the real answer for me would have been "N/A - irrelevant; the two have no connection for most HSers". There may be some HSers who have same-sex spouses, but being a HSer doesn't mean that I'll have a SSP. I just don't think the SSP has anything to do with HSing.

inmom
07-06-2015, 07:32 AM
I haven't really discussed it with the secular or non-secular hsers around here, but I suspect the ones who've always been open minded (religious or not) will still be and those that are not...well....still not.

Personally, our immediate family is all for it. My brother and his husband have been together over 25 years, and I'm so glad this gives them another layer of legitimacy. Also, dd identifies as lesbian, so it's exciting to see how this affects different generations!

The rest of our extended families either are open minded or smart enough to keep their opinions to themselves!!

TFZ
07-06-2015, 10:57 AM
I know there are many reasons that some are against same sex marriage - many in my family are, and none of them are particularly religious. But I do know quite a few *vocal* Christians who are opposed because of "what the bible says." Knowing that a large number of hsers are Christian leads me to believe that Christian-religious hsers would likely have more people opposed than the secular set.

Soulhammer
07-06-2015, 05:32 PM
I see some evangelical Christians who are really upset about it, some granola-and-Jesus types who are cool with it because they think a modern Jesus would be cool with it, and some rugged individualist/libertarian-leaning HSers who are glad bc they think this was never anybody's business anyway. It's a mix.

I am always pleasantly surprised by the political diversity among HSers. Then, too, HSing can cause shifts in your politics or accentuate aspects that were not very salient before. I am much more sympathetic to politics that emphasize the need for limitations on government power as a direct result of my desire to homeschool in peace. Five years ago, it was a different story.