PDA

View Full Version : Texas Field Trip Destinations

CroppinMom
03-17-2010, 06:04 PM
I'd love to hear from other Texans about their favorite field trip destinations. Even if you aren't in the DFW area it would be great to know what not to miss on our next road trip!

I'll start with one that might interest those in the DFW area - Dallas Zoo is having their annual Homeschool Day on April 12th this year. The information is on their website: Dallas Zoo (http://www.dallaszooed.com/kidcamps/bugclub.html)

We've never been there but I think we'll try to make it for this event.

Firefly_Mom
04-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Well, we weren't homeschooling yet when we lived in the DFW area, but I can remember taking my son to the Stockyard Station (we have a cute pix of him sitting on a saddled longhorn), and his favorite place to go was Bass Pro Shop! He especially loved watching the fishing demonstrations in their huge fish tank/waterfall.

I also hear that there's a Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine now. We just went to one in Washington and it was a blast! I believe you can get a day pass to swim in the water park if you're not staying at the hotel.

CroppinMom
04-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Firefly_Mom,

Thanks for the great ideas - we've been considering the Great Wolf Lodge for a weekend getaway. I'm glad to hear that you had a great time! BTW - I LOVE your screen name. The ringtone on my cellphone is the Firefly theme song. It is my favorite tv show I love seeing others with such great taste!

Firefly_Mom
04-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks! You'd be surprised at how many homeschooling Browncoats there are out there! ;)

Museling
04-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Some other great places to go in the DFW area:

Nature/Science:
Botanical Gardens in Fort Worth
Trinity Park in Arlington -also has a science center
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History (newly rennovated)
Dallas and Fort Worth Zoo's (my personal favorite is the Fort Worth, newly rennovated)
Dallas Aquarium -awesome examples of marine life and native american performances

Art:
We have one of the largest concentrations of museums in Texas some of the big ones:
Fort Worth MOMA
The Kimball
The Dallas Childrens Museum
The Dallas Natural History Museum
The Sixth Floor Museum (the Kennedy Assassination)
The Women's Museum

Music/Theatre:
The Bass Hall
The Myerson
Stage West Theatre (more mature)
Casa Manama (more child oriented)

By no means is this list all that the DFW area has to offer, but this is some of the more popualr sites to see!