PDA

View Full Version : Texas sues homeschooling parents

Firefly_Mom
10-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Has anyone else seen this? http://www.homeedmag.com/newscomm/5063/texas-school-district-sues/

I am totally appalled, but not the least bit surprised. Our son spent 1 year in ps (in Texas) and that experience is what led us to homeschooling. I remeber the Texas Education Agency telling me that if the parents fought for their children's rights (in regards to special services) it was common practice for the schools to report parents to children services. That way, the parents would be too busy trying to fight to get their kids back, and wouldn't then fight with the school.

MamaB2C
10-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Texas has been known to cook their books regarding drop our rates and all manner of shady deals with their textbooks, what is wrong with them?

hockeymom
10-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Unbelievable. Very frightening, and heartbreaking.

wild_destiny
10-08-2010, 07:53 PM
How incredibly depressing. Sent a chill down my spine, for sure!

Kylie
10-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Oh my goodness, that poor family.

schwartzkari
10-08-2010, 09:57 PM
That is just awful. Sometimes I am embarrassed to live in Texas. Then again, sometimes I am embarrassed to just be human because of the awful things that happen daily in our world. I feel terrible for that family.

farrarwilliams
10-08-2010, 10:13 PM
This is one of those stories that is so strange that one thinks there must be more to it. But then again, I would believe if the school district was just that malicious. Because many people in education think they know better than parents. Ugh.

Teri
10-09-2010, 10:22 AM
This is one of those stories that is so strange that one thinks there must be more to it. But then again, I would believe if the school district was just that malicious. Because many people in education think they know better than parents. Ugh.

I am wondering the same thing. The only news story that comes up on google for this is the Fox story.
Also, I think it is important to note that they are not suing them for the homeschool part of it, it is over the special education while he was in school part of it.
So, the suggestions (on some of the blogs that this was reposted on) to contact HSLDA are probably not doable?
This is a special ed issue, not a homeschooling issue.

In fact, Texas school have specific instructions to not contact CPS because a family homeschools.

There has to be more to this story.

Nate Spencer
10-09-2010, 10:27 AM
"Also, I think it is important to note that they are not suing them for the homeschool part of it, it is over the special education while he was in school part of it."

Umm... Is not special education, well, education? I wonder what is the whole story. But if you read the HSLDA page on Texas some school systems have tried to run over parents on educating.

They should contact the HSLDA immediately as the they have successfully defended members before in cases like this. They do not do divorce or child abuse cases generally.

Aandwsmom
10-09-2010, 11:19 AM
That is absolutely disgusting that a school district would sink this low. Karma works in mysterious ways and will come back to bite them in the tush! I hope this family gets the help and support they need.

Teri
10-10-2010, 10:14 AM
No, special education has laws that are specific to it and it does provide for due process. I don't think that 'regular' education has a due process procedure, does it? Also, under special education laws the child is entitled to services that a 'regular' kid cannot receive without a diagnosis and an IEP that puts them in special ed.
HSLDA is not going to advocate for a child that is IN a classroom.
In Texas, Advocacy Inc. would be a good resource to help out in this situation maybe.

Again, I think there is more to the story. This is all over the homeschooling and special needs boards but not making mainstream news in the Dallas area that I have seen.

wild_destiny
10-10-2010, 10:40 AM
That is just awful. Sometimes I am embarrassed to live in Texas. Then again, sometimes I am embarrassed to just be human because of the awful things that happen daily in our world. I feel terrible for that family.

Ditto, Kari! My sentiments exactly!

farrarwilliams
10-10-2010, 02:10 PM
No, special education has laws that are specific to it and it does provide for due process. I don't think that 'regular' education has a due process procedure, does it? Also, under special education laws the child is entitled to services that a 'regular' kid cannot receive without a diagnosis and an IEP that puts them in special ed.

I agree that there's more to it. There's due process for regular education students, but there is a whole separate process for students with IEPs that's mandated by the federal government - though different districts may have different procedures as long as they meet the federal standards. I'm unclear how much of it is a homeschool issue. It does seem that the school system may have been extra incensed by the fact that they chose to homeschool instead of following through with the process. However, I couldn't really tell from the story. It does concern me in a greater sense for parents' rights in the schools that they (according to the story here, anyway) tried to go through the district's due process procedure and got slammed with a lawsuit instead. Even if they were completely wrong, it *sounds* like that was a strong overreaction on the part of the school system and it would certainly have a chilling effect on any parents who aren't happy with their children's special education services. In that sense, I think it's related to homeschool issues and of interest to homeschoolers. In my former job, I was witness to many IEP disputes and while sometimes the school is right and sometimes the parents are, I strongly believe there should be due process for all and that there should be no punitive effects on parents, at least not before the dispute has played out for an extended time, if then. It seems like the district was out of line... but I still say it's a weird story and we can't possibly have all the facts.