PDA

View Full Version : Read Aloud Handbook

muddylilly
06-07-2015, 11:32 PM
by Jim Trelease.

I know this book is probably old hat to a lot of parents, but I just finished re-reading a few chapters and was reminded about how much I love this book!!

I picked it up again because I was feeling a bit silly reading out loud to my boys, still, at ages 12 and 14.....but the three of us love it. The book reminded me of all the benefits, even when they are older. The spelling, and writing connection advantages are what got me so excited again....considering all of the talk lately here, with posters asking about homeschoolers and writing and spelling curriculum.

So, are we weird? Anyone else still read fiction to their older kids? (and have them read to you) Funny thing is that the DH has been laid up for the past few weeks with a broken leg and other stuff, and has been listening in too. Trust me we really aren't, generally speaking, this hokey. :) But like I said, I was feeling silly and was starting to think I might stunt them in some way.

alexsmom
06-08-2015, 12:30 AM
Awww how cute! Sitting around the living room, with glasses of milkshakes, reading *Where the Red Fern Grows* aloud to each other.
It sounds very nice, actually. :)
I was thinking about it today, that we are contemplating putting DS3 into DS9 room, which would mean that Dad reading aloud at bedtime would be to both of them. If he reads when DS3 is 9, then older will be 15. I can imagine that happening.

Its a nice family activity, why give it up if its working for all of you?

IEF
06-08-2015, 12:45 AM
I read to my teenagers too. Those were great ages with my older son--I remember reading Angela's Ashes and Centennial by Michener.

rosewolf
06-08-2015, 02:05 AM
My daughter's only 8 1/2, but we've read to her (and now with her) at bedtime since she was 2 months old. That's also cuddle and talk about your day or anything on your mind time, with us, so I can't imagine giving that up!

Elly
06-08-2015, 09:33 AM
I'm planning to. I read the RAH ages ago and the idea that reading aloud keeps a few steps ahead of where your child can read for themselves really appealed. I also think it'll be a chance for me to read some great literature that I have never tried and (honestly) I might not read for myself. We'll see how it goes...

Elly

fastweedpuller
06-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the recommendation! Hadn't heard of it.

DH instagrammed a photo of dd and I in the hammock this weekend. I was in my muddy gardening uniform complete with straw hat, reading aloud My Family and Other Animals (again!) to her. She was sketching.

We always plan on reading aloud. I make time for it especially on the weekends and of course read to her at night (maybe 1-2 nights a week now as she's got her own novels to read right before bedtime). I think it's loads of fun.

Blue Ipsy
06-08-2015, 10:37 AM
I love that book. :)

inmom
06-08-2015, 11:41 AM
I read aloud to my kids until they were about 13. I may have to read aloud to my dd a few times this summer for old time's sake before she heads to college. :)

If you're ever wondering what to read to your teens (or have them read), my dd and I adore The Ultimate Teen Book Guide. http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-Teen-Book-Guide/dp/1439502455 She's checked it out from the library many, many times.

muddylilly
06-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Soooo glad to hear I'm not alone!
I read to them as babies and little guys all the time....board books, kid books (yes, some twaddle), things like Blume, Cleary, some they read for themselves and some I'd read. My younger ds read late independently.....quite late. Later I realized that all the battles (mine) for him to pay more close attention while I taught him phonics were boring him. Had him tested a few times, he was fine. I'm thinking now, in retrospect, that his listening and reading levels were so wide of a gap that reading what should have been his level was and insult to him.....think "magic tree house". I hadn't considered the older brother component.....he wanted what brother had.

Now they read at bedtime to themselves. I love hearing them sharing details of what they are reading with each other. Our read aloud time has now turned to a morning thing.

Inmom.....thanks for the recommendation, looking forward to finding it......and I teared up over you reading to your dd before heading off to college. I just can't bear that thought yet.

Mariam
06-08-2015, 12:24 PM
I love it and hope we can keep doing it too!

IEF
06-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Morning read-alouds are absolutely delicious and one of my favourite things about having a grandkid-aged kid.

:) :) :)

We do schoolwork in the afternoons or early evenings before dinner so we don't have to rush through.

I'm sorting through the millennials' old books and refuse to get rid of some downright cringeworthy twaddle, although I may hide it the worst of it from little ds until he's a bit older. I have one Babysitter's Club left for a souvenir, the complete set of the Anastasia books, two remaining Lurlene MacDaniels, and a bunch more cheap paperbacks that are too dated and too awful for anyone here to even remember. :)

My mother saved all of her Penny Parrish books, which were the twaddle of her generation but quite interesting historical artifacts for millenial dd. My grandmother's beloved Little Colonel books had to be sold for groceries but are in the public domain now.

LKnomad
06-13-2015, 08:17 PM
I read aloud to my younger son until about a year ago, at age 12. The best book we read allowed was "It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families" when he was about 10. That sure interesting bedtime reading. LOL.

I miss reading allowed...He told me he was finally too old :(

BellaH
05-23-2018, 09:26 AM
So, are we weird? Anyone else still read fiction to their older kids? (and have them read to you) Funny thing is that the DH has been laid up for the past few weeks with a broken leg and other stuff, and has been listening in too. Trust me we really aren't, generally speaking, this hokey. But like I said, I was feeling silly and was starting to think I might stunt them in some way.

inmom
05-23-2018, 12:30 PM
So, are we weird? Anyone else still read fiction to their older kids? (and have them read to you) Funny thing is that the DH has been laid up for the past few weeks with a broken leg and other stuff, and has been listening in too. Trust me we really aren't, generally speaking, this hokey. But like I said, I was feeling silly and was starting to think I might stunt them in some way.

As homeschoolers go, Bella, you are not weird. I read aloud to my kids regularly until they were about 13, sporadically afterwards.

FWIW, when my college-age daughter comes home on break, she heads to the library, selects books, then has me read aloud. There's just something about the plopping on the couch next to each other, quiet intimacy of read-alouds.