PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else doing Waldorf or Waldorf inspired?

Closeacademy
03-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Just thought we could get an idea of who uses this method. So what do you use? Are you a purist or mixed or inspired?

I've played with Waldorf in our homeschool since preschool. I started with OM preK then moved away from it. Sometimes we have been almost pure using mix and match Waldorf curriculum but right now we are happy with a Waldorf-inspired curriculum. We use Oak Meadow and then I enhance it with Singapore math. I am liking it a lot.:)

QueenBee
03-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm considering using OM for at least one of my girls next year. We've been eclectic classical up to this point...
I'm curious as to what you like/don't like about OM? My oldest is in 4th as well so I'm looking at their 5th for next.
Thanks for any info!

QueenBee
03-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Forgot to mention that my other kids would be in the OM1, OM2 and OM3 for next year ... hence my concern. So many different levels....

Closeacademy
03-17-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm doing 2nd and 5th grade OM with my 2nd and 4th grader. The eariler levels are more parent intensive.

If your oldest is an independent learner you could turn the books over to her and just give her a checklist or check in with her everyday and go over her work. I really like the science for this level. The books are a mixed bag (some are on level and some are over her head). The grammar is good, the writing is excellent but a lot, the history is good. The spelling is weak so we are using another spelling program. We have always used singapore for math and so are using that. I think that it is excellent. We are stretching it over a year and a half to help my dd get up to speed in writing.

2nd grade is awesome. But I don't know how it would work to teach 3 of the lower levels at the same time. You may just want to order 2nd grade and teach up and down from there. I have some reviews of Oak Meadow on my blog. Just click on the tag for Oak Meadow http://Closeacademy.blogspot.com

Hope this helps.

hjdong
03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I just started using OM with DS in the middle of this year, but I use it very loosely. He's 7 and I'm using OM 4. He's reading level is advanced, but not his math. I'm using the LA and History, but not the math (most likely too advanced) or science (not advanced enough). There's a fair amount of writing (for him), but I adapt. He dictates to me and then copies it over for the larger assignments.

Personally, I like the open ended structure of OM. If DS is really into that week's assigment, then it goes longer. If not, he does the bare minimium, it gets done, and we move on. There's not this endless list still to do even if he doesn't find it that interesting.

I do think a bunch of levels would be difficult, of course, I think that in general :-). I wonder if it would be possible to combine the 1st and 2nd grader? If you call OM they should be able to advise you.

QueenBee
03-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Thank you for the input - I am seriously thinking about combining my middle girls together for everything anyway. My 8 year old is dyslexic and has dysgraphia, and struggles in math, whereas my 6 year old is an advanced reader and writer and is ahead in math - so they are basically on the same level. And especially with something like OM I think it will be fairly easy to combine. That would mean having 3 levels instead of 4... hmmm. More to think about. I am also looking at the Connect the Thoughts stuff (and their lower level First Steps). Also an open-ended, easily changeable-type program. Lots to mull over. =)

JWsCircus
04-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I see some people talking about Lively Latin. What is your experience with it? I wanted to teach my kids Latin and could only find Prima Latina that was 1. boring and 2. over the top religious.

Closeacademy
04-07-2010, 11:54 AM
There are tons of Latin programs out there. We have liked Minimus, it is written for the British public school system. It is a bit pricey but lots of fun. I usually use this to give a fun introduction to Latin then we move onto Lively Latin.

Lively Latin can be ordered on disc, binder or as a download. There are links on her site to games and such. The text is written toward the child and includes grammar, vocabulary, root work, art study and history (Famous Men of Rome). We liked it a lot but my oldest got bogged down around lesson 7 so we took a break for a few months and I plan on going back to it over the summer.

Links:

http://www.livelylatin.com/site/index.php For Lively latin

http://www.minimus-etc.co.uk/ Official website for Minimus. You have to order the books of Amazon or find them used.

Another good secular curriculum that a lot of people are happy with is from Galore park:
http://www.galorepark.co.uk/home-schoolers.html This is the main site and they have good products and you can see samples here.

Most people from the states order from this site though:
http://www.horriblebooks.com/galoreparkendorsements.htm He also carries the Horrible History and Science series.

Another choice for secular Latin is Cambridge, which is for the older learner and can be found here:

http://cambridgescp.com/ And I have this link as well: http://www.cambridge.org/us/
I think the first link has samples and the second is where you order from. You can find Cambridge used sometimes. By the way in England they use Minimus and then move the children onto Cambridge.

There are others out there but it is harder to find ones where you don't just sit and translate hymns or the Vulgate all the time.

Hope this helps.

Green Vixen
05-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi Christy,

I am thinking about doing some Waldorf in our homeschooling. We have a great Waldorf inspired toy/educational store in the city where I live in and the woman who runs it does Waldorf homeschooling. I've bought several books and love some of the ideas but am a little leary of Rudolf Steiner and some of his philosophies, particularly Anthroposophy. I really like the rhythms of the days and seasons and think the art is fantastic. I definitely have lots more reading to do to really cement my ideas and what I want to incorporate into our homeschool. Do you have certain aspects you really like or dislike about Waldorf?

Marisa

Closeacademy
05-27-2010, 07:31 PM
I've used Waldorf methods in some capacity since my oldest was in preschool.

What I like/work works for us:

art--wet-on-wet watercolor, felting, block crayons
music--When my dds were younger we liked to listen to the Oak Meadow CD
visual--the visual aspect of Waldorf is very appealing and I have found that it works well with notebooking which we use for phonics, spelling, grammar and math
math--the math stories have been a great way to introduce new concepts before starting to work in our curriculum

I have also found that Steiner is right on when it comes to ages and stages. Neither of my children were ready to learn to read in K and would have done just fine if we spent all of our time exploring the outdoors, playing, doing chores and having story time.

1st grade seemed to be when they were ready to start learning a little and still needed lots of time outdoors and loved fairy and folk tales.

During and after that 7 year change, I can see where they really need some sort of "hero" to look up to and they are all into learning about animals. So Aesop's fables, animal stories and heor tales are right on.

During that 3rd grade year, they want that reassurance that there is someone in charge and that is why long division, old testament/creation storie are important and they are also curious about where things come from and have a need to know about processes so farming and houseing studies fit right in.

Fourth grade they want adventure so why not the greatest adventurers of all time--the Vikings.

I use Oak Meadow because I couldn't let myself completely go over to block studies and just trust Waldorf. I've wasted a lot of time teaching things when my children were not ready for it and I wish I would have gone with OM from the beginning. Steiner can be pretty weird but some aspects of his method are good.

Hope this helps.

mamaraby
06-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Definitely Waldorf inspired. At the beginning of this calendar year I was just about set to go Waldorf all the way. I had planned on waiting to do anything and then starting with the Christopherus First Grade curriculum in the fall of 2011. OM and Enki are just a bit too pricey for my tastes...even though you can get them on the Waldorf Used Curriculum Yahoo Group (though not always all that discounted). I also considered A Little Garden Flower and Earthschooling, but when I actually got my hands on them I was less than impressed.

We'll take some inspiration from Waldorf, but in the end the idea of memorizing all of those fairytales with two other children under the age of 3 it was just too overwhelming...plus some of the Anthroposophy aspects didn't really appeal to me - especially with Christopherus...they always seemed to get in the way. I have to say, though, that Christopherus' forum (it's a subscription forum) was incredibly helpful when it came to understanding Waldorf...though there are some hardcore Anthroposophists there.

Closeacademy
06-21-2010, 09:52 AM
You don't have to memorize the fairy tales. I read them to my dd and she enjoyed that just as much as the ones that I knew well enough to tell from memory. But then I am not a Waldorf purist. I've always been of the opinion that I take what I need and leave the rest when it comes to most things.

I hope you find something that works well for you. By the way the older Oak Meadow syllabuses can be very inexpensive and in my opinion I like them better. The newer ones seem to conform more to standards while the older ones are more gentle. They are not heavy on Anthroposy. A Little Flower Garden isn't that heavy on Anthroposy either although she has read Steiner extensively.

I found an OM3 syllabus for $45 on this site: http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/ There are also some great blogs out there with great ideas and even stories you can use to do your lessons.

Hope this helps.