PDA

View Full Version : Studying abroad

alexsmom
06-05-2015, 10:52 PM
How US students get a university degree for free in Germany - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32821678)

It looks like one can get a college degree in Germany with the classes in english? And horrendously subsidized!

Is overseas education really this easy?

CrazyMom
06-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Huh! Thanks for posting this!

dbsam
06-06-2015, 12:25 PM
My children's German practice on Duolingo might come in handy one day!

alexsmom
06-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Hehe. My husband forwarded that article to me with the comment that maybe DS should start learning German. But they also said they planned to have all the courses in English by 2020... gives me hope that this sort of climate will still be around when its time for our family to look at colleges.

I thought it was interesting that the article pitched it as a solution to get qualified immigrants to Germany. A bit of a contrast to here, where the immigrants are taking low-skill manual labor jobs.

KittyP
06-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Some places it is. The Japanese degree I was pursuing years ago was two years in state then two years in Japan, which was all free as long as you stayed and taught English for two years (or reverse for their sister program). Most of my college buddies from back then stayed and are full time ESL teachers now. There were other programs like that floating around, but a lot of them weren't advertised outside of the program. There are some state-side universities that have similar programs, too. Alaska had (I don't know if they do anymore) a full ride scholarship for education degrees when you agreed to teach in the villages after graduation. Guaranteed work straight out of college? Yes, please! That was more than a decade ago, I don't know if they do it anymore, but I've heard rumors it does. We're years away from Kiddo even thinking of university and Hubster is already set on his degree, so we haven't put much research into it.