PDA

View Full Version : Local Museum cancels Halloween Seance

Bellanina
10-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Perhaps it's just the mood I'm in tonight (it hasn't been a very good Monday), but i'm cranky now more than before I checked my email.

I received an email from our only local HS group. In a nutshell:
The Museum (History of Transportation, btw) has canceled their October 30 Seance, which was a fundraiser" ... "They said they had no idea how it affected (bothered) so many and that they were impressed by the positive way the church expressed their concerns.

Many of us feel that since they canceled their fundraiser in honour of those who requested they do, we'd like to continue to show thanks and God's love by calling them, writing letters of thank and giving donations to the ... project."

Umm, what about those of us who are NOW affected by this cancellation?! Why should I send in my support (verbal, written or monetary) for missing out on the Seance?

Granted, I didn't know about the seance until this message, so it's extremely unlikely I'd attend anyhow. But to receive this email today asking for a show of support and God's love is more than I want to deal with tonight.

I know from previous experience they're a religious group. I've attended only one parent-support group gathering (okay, it was all Moms....) and they prayed for strength while I tried so very hard not to roll my eyes. I just went along with it quietly, lost in my thoughts. This is the only HS group in the area, we just don't have the numbers for a secular gathering. I feel I have to "play nice and keep quiet" just to remain part of the group. In fact, the HS group starts swimming lessons later this week and my children are enrolled (Dave & I tend to keep to ourselves while watching the lessons, as we're not a part of their religious support group) so we'll be seeing fellow HS'ers face-to-face.

I really want to reply to the group email, with the following attitude: "I will be sending my support to the Museum, asking for the return of the Seance. The Museum is a public Museum, not a place of worship. Why ask to cancel a fundraiser Seance because a religious group requests it? If the Seance offends you, you don't need to attend the fundraiser, you can show your support by other means. The local religious homeschoolers are not the only supporters of this Museum."

Perhaps I should invite the HS Parents for an evening with the Ouija Board? :D

hockeymom
10-05-2010, 07:40 AM
What a bummer Carla! I do like your response to the museum though! :)

Good luck at swimming. I hope it's a positive experience for your boys.

Wilma
10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Well, bah humbug!

mommykicksbutt
10-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Superstition, what can I say? What are they afraid of, that great-grandma will show up and tell them how ashamed she is that they are jerking off in the bathroom to the Victoria Secret catalog?

BPier12
10-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Superstition, what can I say? What are they afraid of, that great-grandma will show up and tell them how ashamed she is that they are jerking off in the bathroom to the Victoria Secret catalog?

LMAO! Thanks, I needed that this morning!

SunshineKris
10-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Tell them to avoid Salem, MA on a Friday the 13th weekend in October. Talk about an experience!

wild_destiny
10-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Bellanina, that really sucks, although I LOVED your intended response! You got it just right! And good point that a museum is *gasp* a museum--not a place of worship *another gasp*. Imagine! Unfortunately, your post just highlights exactly why there are so many divisions among homeschoolers (or the public, in general), even though many people would just prefer to live and let live. There are always those few close-minded loud-mouths who actively seek to curtail experiences for all because they find them disagreeable. What a shame. Anyway, I hope today is better for you! :)
Oh yeah, Kris, you are just going to have to elaborate more. Now I am way curious about what goes on in Salem on a Friday the 13th weekend. (Or Halloween, for that matter.)

Bellanina
10-05-2010, 10:40 PM
OMG will it ever end?! I just received another invite from that same group, for Homeschool Moms (or those interested in it):

Carol will be sharing about her passion for unschooling and the importance of putting God first and trusting Him. Be prepared to be encouraged as she shares from her experience.

I'd love to attend, to hear how the unschooling works for their family, but not if I have to sit through the morning of spiritual encouragement as well. Oh well, I knew they were a religious group and I use them for their advice on homeschooling in our school division, as well as for organizing the group swimming lessons.

I get all my secular advice from you guys ;) I just wish you all were just a wee bit closer geographically!

SunshineKris
10-06-2010, 01:39 AM
OK, Deana! I went to Salem, MA many years ago, 1995 I think it was, while a girlfriend of mine was in college outside Boston. We wanted to go to see the Salem Witch Museum, plus she had heard there was a whole Halloween festival during the month and a haunted house. So we went. It was a Friday the 13th weekend (we went on Saturday night). She forgot that on those weekend people come out in droves for all sorts of small gatherings, but that year it happened to coincide with the Halloween goings-on. WOW! People doing seances under trees, the crystal ball readers and fortune tellers! Then add in all the Halloween stuff, it was a sight to see! In the end, the museum was not all that exciting but the energy in Salem that night was amazing. I know some of it was for show (part of the mystique of Salem and its witch history) but some of it was certainly people there to celebrate and worship in ways I didn't know about at the time, celebrating harvest, trying to educate people about these "crazy" things called Wicca and Druidism. I was open-minded (always have been, ask my dad about our arguments we still have to this day; now I do it just to get him riled up, so immature of me) and I learned a bit about some things I'd never heard of. By the way, it was a beautiful night. I remember the Salem part well; the rest of the night, not so much. ;) Come on, it was college days!

pandahoneybee
10-06-2010, 08:43 AM
I had no clue that a public museum would cancel a Halloween event for religious reasons???

OK SunshineKris! I would love to go to Salem MA now, sounds awesome!

wild_destiny
10-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah, Kris, that DOES sound awesome and like so much fun! And Bellanina, just go to the meeting, wearing a dark cloak, and call it your "witches robe" (No offense to any practicing witches) or something similar. Then after that lady shares her spiritual encouragement, ask if you can share your own. Talk about the "support" you get from practicing your dark arts. Invite them to join you for a ritual goat killing or something. --And then be prepared to run like hell. (Ok, that is a bit much. But we can dream about having fun, can't we?!) Seriously, though, I hope you find someone close that your family can connect with.

Fiddler
10-06-2010, 11:22 AM
On a positive note (I think, anyway), the UK has just recognized Druidry as an official religion. ;)

SunshineKris
10-06-2010, 12:45 PM
And along with Deana's idea, you could say that Christine O'Donnell recruited you! (Sorry, cheap shot. I've heard she has a commercial in which she states she is NOT, in fact, a witch.)