PDA

View Full Version : Need some history advice - SOTW or Hakim

Wilma
10-04-2010, 01:35 PM
I am reviewing my options for a history class I am teaching in co-op. I am trying to do some long range planning. The girls in the class are currently in 5th and 6th grade. We are doing Vol 2 of Story of the World. I am wondering if the next volumes would be too young to use over the next 2 years. My other option is to teach US history over 2 years using Hakim's History of US. I know there are study guides for this, but would it make a good class for a co-op? I'd like some hands on, but transitioning to a more traditional class.

farrarwilliams
10-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I have looked through the Hakim, though I haven't used it. It's definitely more grown up than SOTW, though the SOTW volumes do get more grown up as they progress. Unlike many other common homeschool materials, the Hakim series is in nearly every library system, in case you haven't looked through it.

Both are just spines, not programs, so I would think that either of them could be adapted for a co-op or a group, just like they can be adapted for individuals or families. I think that's all in the approach and organization you put into it.

dbmamaz
10-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Hakims Story of the US also rises in level as it progresses. look at the suggested ages on amazon. I have no idea how to teach a class, tho

warramra
10-04-2010, 03:27 PM
My 5th grader is finishing SOTW vol 3 currently and will be beginning SOTW vol 4 after that. The reading level and substance of SOTW increases through the series and I would have no problem using SOTW 3 & 4 with middle schoolers as a spine and using one of the World History Encyclopedias along with. We do a separate US History concurrently, though not Hakim's.

BPier12
10-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Even though my son's reading level is well above Hakim's writing style, we are using both her History of US and Story of Science (the middle volume, Newton at the Center) this year. I decided to buy the teaching guide for book 3 because we are doing a really focused study of the American Revolution right now. If you are going to build a class, I would highly recommend looking at the guides. There are a lot of suggestions about how to introduce the material and guide the students in their learning. The guides have good discussion questions for each chapter, a "check-up" of written exercises for groups of five to six chapters, class projects, etc. I don't use all of the suggested things, but the discussion questions have been especially helpful to me in assessing how much my son is comprehending and the check-up questions have been great for increasing my son's fluidity with communicating in a written format. I was able to purchase a used guide in great condition on Amazon. I've never looked at SOTW so I don't know how it compares. HTH!

As an aside, my son LOVES the Story of Science and it is usually the first assignment he does on Monday morning. I will definitely be getting the other books in the series.

Pefa
10-05-2010, 06:54 AM
It depends (isn't that helpful?) World history or US? I am a huge fan of Hakim, especially her story of science, and we use her books lots for inspiration and background information. If you're focusing on US history I'd say go with Hakim, otherwise the SOTW is as other's have said a solid spine.

dbmamaz
10-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Ooh, so excited - we had been listening to Story of Us audiobook in the car, and I just picked up story of science, which we'll start in maybe a month (right now doing the universe and then evolution and then we start history plus history of science).

but best of all . . . Joy Hakim will be the keynote speaker at my state inclusive homeschool conference this year!!!! Woooot!

Wilma
10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Ooh, so excited - we had been listening to Story of Us audiobook in the car, and I just picked up story of science, which we'll start in maybe a month (right now doing the universe and then evolution and then we start history plus history of science).

but best of all . . . Joy Hakim will be the keynote speaker at my state inclusive homeschool conference this year!!!! Woooot!

It's available as an audio book?

dbmamaz
10-05-2010, 03:31 PM
My library had it as a downloadable mp3. I've had to get editing software so i can cut it up to fit on cds to play in the car lol

farrarwilliams
10-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Ooh, the conference in Richmond, Cara? Maybe I'll have to get to that this year.

dbmamaz
10-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Ooh, the conference in Richmond, Cara? Maybe I'll have to get to that this year. :) Yes, that one! Its in Glen Allen, slightly north of Richmond, proper. :D

Maxaroo
10-05-2010, 11:23 PM
The History Channel's DVD The Story of Us (http://www.amazon.com/America-Story-Us-Liev-Schreiber/dp/B003C27X44/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1286334991&sr=1-2)is a lot of fun, too. Read about it on Amazon - it's a wonderful realistic journey through our nation's history. We just started watching it today and watched two episodes - up through the Revolutionary War and the creation of the Declaration of Independence. Max (who's 11 and working at the 5th grade level) really enjoyed this. I did, too - it's real, gritty, fact-based and stimulating. It's about 9 hours in length and is broken up into 12 chapters.