PDA

View Full Version : I feel so undefined, LOL!

Wilma
10-03-2010, 09:34 PM
After reading the posts on WTM and eclectic schooling, I am having an identity crisis!

We are in full school mode. But are we? The 14 and 12 yo really don't consult me at all with school unless it is a class I teach for co-op. I teach Alg. 1 and host science experiments for the middle schoolers and high schoolers, but I don't really teach that. My algebra class is about to divert into the world of A Mathematical Mystery Tour. And we talk about Llamas in Hats.

My youngest is doing her math, designing incredible structures with K'Nex, doing science experiments, listening to SOTW on cd and making a braided rug. Sometimes she works on her science fiction novel.

Most everything bought has gone out the window, at least in terms of using is as written. Or in the time period intended.

There goes structure and welcome child led learning.

Who am I?:D

Or perhaps, WHAT am I?

dbmamaz
10-03-2010, 10:33 PM
I think you should check out Thomas Jefferson Education, i think its called. Most of the people who are in to it seem to be mormons, but they have this series of stages that kids go through and, if i recall, when they are ready the kids should take over their own education, and the parents should be following their own passions as an example, as well as managing the kids education. It might add to your confusion. But really, confusion is the way, right?

Shoe
10-03-2010, 10:43 PM
But really, confusion is the way, right?If confusion is the way, then I'm right on track, lol!

farrarwilliams
10-04-2010, 12:57 AM
If you think you understand, you're not doing it right?

Wilma
10-04-2010, 08:50 AM
If you think you understand, you're not doing it right?

I like that. I should use that excuse in all facets of life. It would help me save face!

dbmamaz
10-04-2010, 04:10 PM
idk, my ex was a taoist. the tao that can be spoken is not the true tao. something like that.

wild_destiny
10-04-2010, 08:25 PM
If you are undefined, you cannot be pinned down, so what is the worry? Anyway, I think it would be better to be undefined than to be ill-defined. Sounds like you are evolving, Ann, which is great--unless you end up with green, scaly skin and wicked horns growing out of your forehead. If that happens, I suggest consulting an exorcist or a priest or shaman or witch doctor--whatever works! I really like all the responses on this post. Somehow they are simultaneously humorous and thoughtful. :)

farrarwilliams
10-04-2010, 08:42 PM
I definitely think if you have your own method that it's harder for others to judge you. ;) After all, you're following the method to the letter!

Wilma
10-04-2010, 09:57 PM
If you are undefined, you cannot be pinned down, so what is the worry? Anyway, I think it would be better to be undefined than to be ill-defined. Sounds like you are evolving, Ann, which is great--unless you end up with green, scaly skin and wicked horns growing out of your forehead. If that happens, I suggest consulting an exorcist or a priest or shaman or witch doctor--whatever works! I really like all the responses on this post. Somehow they are simultaneously humorous and thoughtful. :)

I actually like green. I think with winter coming on fur would be better than scales.
I'd love to post on the local hs'ing board that I need some spiritual advice. Can anyone recommend a shaman or witch doctor?

BPier12
10-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I actually like green. I think with winter coming on fur would be better than scales.
I'd love to post on the local hs'ing board that I need some spiritual advice. Can anyone recommend a shaman or witch doctor?

I dare you...;)

Wilma
10-05-2010, 09:43 AM
I dare you...;)

Alas, I let my membership lapse.

wild_destiny
10-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Dang it! I was going to double dare you and then sit back to watch what happens next. Well, I can always imagine the heart attacks and dropped jaws that would have initiated! :) And, Beth, for someone so sweet, you have a deliciously wicked sense of humor! ;)