PDA

View Full Version : Are members interested in a Summer Postcard Exchange again this year?

Topsy
05-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Here's how it has worked in the past...

The Summer Postcard Exchange forum is a private password-protected forum where members can exchange snail mail addresses.

Here are the instructions we've used for past years:

To participate in this summer's postcard exchange, simply create a thread below with the names and ages of your children, the state/country you live in, and of course your mailing address. (Please also indicate if you are willing to exchange outside of the US)

Once several of you have responded, we will try to create a sticky thread that includes ALL the info so you don't have to go down through each and every post. You also might want to respond to the individual threads to let them know you have sent out their cards.

A postcard exchange can be a really fun and educational summer project. Here are some ideas for making it even more so...

post a large (wall-size?) map on an empty wall and pin each postcard to the appropriate place on the map as it arrives
let your children do the choosing of the "outgoing" cards. These can often be found in post-offices, gift stores, hotel lobbies, and especially in your tourist's bureau or visitors center. Locating these cards creates a sense of "pride" for kids about their local area
or...let kids create their OWN geography-related postcards using a computer publishing program and some cardstock
have kids research and write out one "fact" about their state, province, etc. on each card they send out
create a "postcard lapbook" for your arriving cards and do some small learning projects related to each state or country you receive a card from
this is a great time to introduce address-related learning concepts like "how to address an envelope/postcard", zip codes, state abbreviations, air mail, etc.
check out some United States or World geography books from the library so that you can learn a little more about each region as your postcards arrive

Have fun with the exchange!!

We'd like to know if there is enough interest in the exchange to kick it off again this year, so we're putting it to a poll. Could you vote to let us know if this is something you'd like SHS to host for members this summer?

rosewolf
05-15-2015, 09:36 AM
We signed up last year, and my daughter enjoyed getting cards. However, she only received about 5 cards, though we sent out about 20. We do postcrossing now, which she loves. :)

MNDad
05-15-2015, 10:35 AM
We do postcrossing now, which she loves. :)

Sounds interesting; what is that?

rosewolf
05-15-2015, 02:04 PM
https://www.postcrossing.com/

It's a site where you sign up to send and receive cards to people around the world. You can decide if you want to send and receive within your country as well, or if you just want to send them around the world. You start off being able to request 5 addresses at a time, and for every card you send (and is then registered on the site) your address is given out for you to get a card. If this works for you, it will show you the cards we've received so far, though it's missing a few that I need to scan: https://www.postcrossing.com/user/rosewolf/gallery

Riceball_Mommy
05-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Postcrossing looks fun, I've bookmarked it. That has been my problem with many of the exchanges we have done is that we don't near an equal amount back, it's also been shrinking every year too probably for that reason.

Topsy
05-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Thank you to those who took the time to respond. We didn't get enough positive responses to warrant opening the postcard exchange forum again this summer, but if you have any other creative ideas for educational swaps or site-wide projects that might work for the site, please don't hesitate to share them!

azdad
05-19-2015, 09:21 PM
Postcrossing sounds interesting. I have been looking for a real pen pal for my son, age 7. I submitted a request for the pen pal discussion on this site but never heard back - does anyone know if that is a going concern or not? Or have suggestions on where else to find a pen pal?

Topsy
05-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Postcrossing sounds interesting. I have been looking for a real pen pal for my son, age 7. I submitted a request for the pen pal discussion on this site but never heard back - does anyone know if that is a going concern or not? Or have suggestions on where else to find a pen pal?

Uh-oh, sounds like we let something fall through the cracks on our end, azdad. :( Could you put in a request one more time? We'll definitely follow up!

azdad
05-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks! I just sent it again...