PDA

View Full Version : Homeschool year-round?

crunchynerd
05-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Do you homeschool year-round? What are your thoughts on this?

dbsam
05-03-2015, 01:07 AM
I voted 'yes' to year-round.
However, my children do very little formal schoolwork.
Since they are starting 6th grade next year, I should probably add more book work. But at this time we are continuing with our 'Homeschool Lite' throughout the year.

alexsmom
05-03-2015, 01:31 AM
We had terrible past experiences with getting back to work after taking summer breaks, so we will do *school-light* in the summer - I think we will continue US History and complete the RSO Chemistry we started. Plus reading.

inmom
05-03-2015, 07:21 AM
Prior to the high school years, we used to school year round with a lighter schedule in the summer. However, once part time jobs and dual credit courses started in high school, we all felt they needed some time off.

aspiecat
05-03-2015, 07:52 AM
I homeschool year-round. The delivery of the education might alter then; again I see every waking moment as an educational opportunity.

Poor kid LOL.

hockeymom
05-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Nope. We take a break from structured book work from May-August. It is much deserved.

Of course that doesn't mean he stops reading and doing and learning and making deep connections in the summer, but it's not formal. I used to count that as "school" when he was younger, but I don't anymore. It's just life.

Elly
05-03-2015, 09:27 AM
I found getting back after Christmas *really* hard this year, so we are going to take a two week break while friends are staying then ease back into things (he really wants a chemistry set, so we'll play with that and do more relaxed stuff). We're also taking most of September off to visit family in Europe, so we will have a break then. So more maybe that we have an odd schedule, but I like the idea of sticking to short breaks and having a lighter daily schedule and more field trips through the year.

ejsmom
05-03-2015, 09:40 AM
We do more formal bookwork from mid September through the end of May, with breaks of 1-3 weeks here and there as dictated by life events, illness, or holidays. June, July, and August is more laid back in that we do far less formal book work. We still review math and handwriting. We take a lot of educational trips, DS reads all the time. Science is continuous as interests dictate. I try to get him doing something creative as art once a week over the summer. Music is a daily thing for DS. He practices and explores and writes and listens all throughout the day. We spend a lot of the summer months on life skills - cooking, laundry, organization skills, gardening, learning about money/finances/insurance, volunteer work, etc. Last summer we had an old wood cabinet DS wanted to redo for his room, so he learned those skills - sanding, painting, removing and adding hardware, etc. In addition we try to focus on fitness - either at home or through a class. We hike a lot. He's done yoga, karate, swimming, and this summer is exploring fencing. I guess we go more "unschool-like" over the summer. DS learns a lot, though, but I don't plan multiple lessons each day like we do during our school year. When I look over our year and add it up, I guess we really only do "formal" scheduled lessons a little more than half of a calendar year, and the rest is experiences, explorations, classes and events with our homeschool group and independent study/work.

quabbin
05-03-2015, 10:31 AM
DS thrives on routine, so I avoid long breaks. We do different (and possibly less) stuff in July and August, but every weekday is a school day unless there's some reason why not.

Elise
05-03-2015, 11:20 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but I really like the idea of doing 6 weeks on, 1 week off. Thanksgiving through early January off, too. Should give us a 5-week break in the summer before starting with new materials or a new "grade."

I used to be really against the idea of year-round schooling, but that was before we moved to an area that gets a whole lot of 90+ temps all summer long. It's just way too hot to be doing anything outdoors, so we might as well have something schoolish to work on, and take advantage of the outdoors when it's nicer.

skrink
05-03-2015, 11:37 AM
We do "homeschool-lite" in the summer months. Like others have mentioned, a total break in routine means at least several weeks of painful adjustment. It's just not worth it. However, we branch out more in the summer, dd does some camps, and overall we're less formal.

RachelC
05-03-2015, 12:01 PM
We aren't very formal anyway, so we just continue with learning-all-the-time. I will continue their online math (Dreambox) this summer. Our more structured activities stop in the summer.

darkelf
05-03-2015, 03:19 PM
I have 2 that forget after a break. Planning on "homeschool light" during the summer.

Math (for sure) and reading and finishing up any units we didn't get to. (Though looking, that should not be much, if any. We followed the "schedule" pretty well.

CrazyMom
05-03-2015, 04:22 PM
We took days off for any compelling reason....we'd take mental health days, thunderstorm days, snow days, perfect canoeing days, help grandma days....we took a lot of days off. But we unschooled year round. Kid wrote, read and did some math nearly every day K-7, weekends, too. (there was a math lull for a couple years, fourth and fifth grade she didn't want anything to do with math and didn't do much, but was doing a ton of cooking and measuring so I didn't worry about it.)

Mostly, we let her run the show. She wanted support to learn year round...so that's what we did:)

When she joined public school, she needed the downtime of summer vacation. But she always did her own projects during the summer, avid library patron, worked, did volunteer work.

Starkspack
05-03-2015, 04:31 PM
We've always homeschooled year-round, and we love it that way. We'll take breaks as needed, working around vacations or whatever comes our way. Last year, we ended up taking the entire month of December off, so that was nice. Since we school on a calendar year, we had the incentive of finishing in November to rest and relax during the holiday season.

Reason #4578 why homeschooling ROCKS. :heart:

RTB
05-03-2015, 05:28 PM
We have basically always gone year round, and take breaks when we need them. Days here and there, a chunk during the winter, and we took a two week spring break because we really needed it.

This year we will take most July off for summer. We need a chunk of time every so often - I need to do my own thing for my sanity (so does DS) - we are really unstructured and media is pretty much free during these breaks.

I find after about 3 weeks the fighting and complaining starts and we need to get back to more of a routine.

IEF
05-03-2015, 05:42 PM
I don't think a summer vacation is going to fly with little dude unless it was a travel vacation or a bunch of outdoor group activities, so I'm probably going with shorter lessons, more days off for neglected housecleaning and teaching life skills, and lots of cultural literacy/funschool stuff, spinoff coming to pick your brains for ideas.

MNDad
05-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Music is a daily thing for DS. He practices and explores and writes and listens all throughout the day.

Same here. Since we don't regard anything that involves learning a skill as "extracurricular", I guess we would qualify as year-round homeschoolers. Other than music, though, everything is more relaxed though.

KittyP
05-04-2015, 01:01 AM
We do more hands-on learning in the summer, but other than that school doesn't change much for us. Weather is getting nice here so we've started doing more outdoor school, like plant identification, and basics are often taught more through real-world application than structured learning. We just got a tablet, so school is more mobile and we'll probably take full advantage of the fact.

ScienceGeek
05-04-2015, 02:54 AM
We don't stop for summer, but as other said, we lighten up. If they finish the math curriculum then we don't start the next one til August. But we take big trips (usually international) every fall so we spend time over the summer learning about the place we're going (history, etc). I also use the summer to work on other topics we might not have fit in during the year. Like this summer ds15 gets to do online drivers ed since he can take the learners permit test in August.

fastweedpuller
05-04-2015, 09:21 AM
We wrap up grade-level curricula in May, take a week or so break, then start school again.

School during the summer has two constants: one, we do a major Unit Study to either bridge one grade level study to the next or that Unit Study addresses a knowledge gap in her education. Two, school is done by noon!

Solong
05-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Hmm. I guess we're 'homeschool-lite' year-round.

Mariam
05-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Hmm. I guess we're 'homeschool-lite' year-round.

Us too. Though I do look forward so some of the projects we will be doing over the summer while I have more time.