PDA

View Full Version : Article: Kids with ADHD must squirm to learn

Topsy
04-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Link to article: Kids with ADHD must squirm to learn, study says -- ScienceDaily (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150417190003.htm)

My younger son doesn't have ADHD (although that's one of the few acronyms that he can't claim) ;), but he still needed to "squirm to learn". Especially his hands...they simply had to be busy doing something during school time or I would lose his attention so fast. Over time, I collected a box of "fidgets" - - active toys that would keep his hands busy but weren't so distracting that they disturbed his sibling.

Anyone else have kiddos who this is true of?

ejsmom
04-20-2015, 01:53 PM
SPD here when DS was younger, and yes, we kept fidgets: Theraputty, resistance bands, weighted lap pads, squishy balls... all types of things. I saw that study, too. It always amazed me how DS would appear to be distracted and not paying attention to something, and yet he'd have excellent recall and understanding. It was sad how many therapists I've had to explain this to over the years, who would tell me "I can't work with him until he learns to pay attention." He WAS paying attention, he just didn't look like he was.

Topsy
04-20-2015, 02:03 PM
It was sad how many therapists I've had to explain this to over the years, who would tell me "I can't work with him until he learns to pay attention."

That makes me sad too. Therapists should be on the cutting edge of understanding how the human brain works, and what works best with different children. If parents have to "train" the therapists, there's a missing link there somewhere. :(

darkelf
04-20-2015, 02:14 PM
My 4th needs to squirm and fidget. I don't have fidgets for him. (I've thought about, but have never taken the plunge.) normally I just let him wiggle away. I even had dh make him a Rubbermaid container desk. He loves it. He can wiggle in it, and I can't see.

Blue Ipsy
04-20-2015, 03:13 PM
My youngest has to be actively doing something all the time....

Mslksdh
04-20-2015, 04:14 PM
While our oldest isn't hyperactive he does so much better with fidgets and being able to move. He just thinks and works better on the go. I agree that therapists should be in the know.

Bobslaststand
04-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Doesn't surprise me...my son does most of his work standing up. He may start sitting down, but then he wiggles here and there, stands up, falls over, drops pencil, picks it up...things take a while but we get them done!