PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in a category for Homeschool College Prep?

CrazyMom
04-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Topics could be stuff like picking colleges, scholarships, loans, ACTs, SATs, AP, the FAFSA, strategies for getting into your target university, transcripts and references, tips to fill out the common app....all this kinda stuff could be really helpful. Not just in the final year of homeschool highschool, but in planning for college over all four years.

Even stuff like choosing housing, managing debt in multi-kid families, homeschool culture shock (or lack of it!) in the first year away from home, kids and parents coping with the transition.

Might be worth considering?

crunchynerd
04-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Definitely!

aspiecat
04-16-2015, 07:18 PM
Great idea!

I vote YES (practising for next year...)!

Maxaroo
04-19-2015, 01:54 AM
Ummm... YES!! :)

ScienceGeek
04-19-2015, 02:08 AM
Great idea!

Topsy
04-19-2015, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! In a recent survey we sent out to a selection of members, one of the feedback items that cropped up frequently from members was that there are already too many current forum sections to navigate well. I'm actually looking at culling them a bit. :_s:

However, with that said, I think one easy solution is to simply create a forum group for the topic! If you aren't sure how to do that, we've got an article that should help: The Secular Homeschool Community - Are you part of a group at SHS? Want to be? Answers, info and MORE! (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content.php?r=903-Are-you-part-of-a-group-at-SHS-Want-to-be-Answers-info-and-MORE)!

CrazyMom
05-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Will the new improved content you've recently talked about include these issues faced by people who want their home schooled kids to go to college?

Seems like a lot of people have expressed interest, no?

"we'll be shifting some of our focus on the site as well (based on the feedback of our members). One of the things many, many of you have let us know is that you'd like to see "smarter" content on the site. Deeper-level discussions and articles about homeschooling, education, and parenting. "

Sounds like college prep would be a perfect fit for what you're interested in.

aspiecat
05-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Bumping this up because I still think we need a sub-forum for homeschoolers whose kids are starting to look towards college/university...also vocational school, art institutes and full-time work. Scholarships and ways of getting either college entry or a job with "unusual" qualifications would also be discussed. We who have gone through the process could help other parents with advice on the secondary-to-tertiary/job transition.

Any thoughts on this? Yes, there are new sub-fora that have been created recently, and there is always a danger of too many. However, I think that SHS sees itself as a constantly growing forum-based website and one way to get the visual on that is to welcome sub-fora that are as needed as other, related, ones are.

...please...?

Aspie

Topsy
05-22-2015, 07:25 AM
Alrighty then! We'll work on getting that up and going by early next week, all.

aspiecat
05-22-2015, 08:06 AM
REALLY???

Woot!!

Thank you x 1,000!!

**hugs**

BatDad
05-22-2015, 12:06 PM
I think this will be brilliant. I have a few years, but it won't hurt to know what is going on.

alexsmom
05-23-2015, 12:25 AM
Its a ways ahead of me, too, but we need to collect and archive the *wisdom of the elders* so it will be there for us, too. :o