PDA

View Full Version : Algebra who?? UGH

hmsklprfr
09-28-2010, 10:27 AM
I hated algebra when I was in school, never used it since - except maybe a very basic calculation. With our 2 kids I never felt the need to teach them more than just the simple basics and that was it. I also homeschool one neighbors son and she wants him to have algebra. Thank goodness there are a number of great websites to help teach it, but I have to be able to understand it too in order to answer questions and teach him.

I am intelligent, but when your brain doesn't want to learn something it is difficult to grasp sometimes. Oh did I mention I hate algebra? So I struggle through helping him to learn a little more than the basics of algebra, who knows maybe I will learn something too.

dbmamaz
09-28-2010, 12:33 PM
its hard for me cuz i LOVED algebra and my 14 yo is struggling. lots of people recommend teaching textbooks . . . i've started my son over with singapore new syllabus after life of fred moved too fast. have you seen purplemath?

Rebecca in Texas
09-28-2010, 03:39 PM
You need to go to khanacademy.org for you and your student. He explains any math concept you can think of in an easy to understand way. I love that website!

Lolov
09-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Try www.mathalicous.com as well. I haven't gotten there yet, but I've heard great things about it :D

Also, Mathmojo is awesome. His explanations are very good!

hmsklprfr
09-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Thank you all for the great suggestions, I had not heard of these ones so I will be checking them out!

Pefa
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
B1 who struggles w/algebra (which I totally don't get because he's been balancing chemical equations for a couple of years) is finding that xyAlgebra (http://www.xyalgebra.org/) working for him. Loads of practice, help available and he can't argue about what he meant vs what he actually did which makes life easier for both of us.

Good luck

sallymae
10-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I took business math accounting in high school. So I use Video text. we are on Algebra II this year. It is great. Takes the ouh out of teaching a unknown course. Oh, I'm learning a few things myself.

schwartzkari
10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
My daughter is only 6, so we aren't anywhere near Algebra yet, lol, BUT I am trying to finish my college degree and I have to take 3 math classes (Algebra included) and I just might use some of these websites to help myself!
:D