PDA

View Full Version : What will you put in Easter Baskets this year?

CrazyMom
03-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Pick from the list, or list your own:) I'm doing cousin Easter Baskets this year and would love your ideas!

Solong
03-27-2015, 01:23 AM
Oh hell... "Mister Bunny" is generous, but he will probably dial it back on the candy this year. They each get their own basket. The Leprechaun left us some catmint seeds - we planted them in eggshells, and they'll bush out well by easter. We'll plant 'magic jelly beans' in them, and lollipops will grow. A book and a game each. This year, flip-flops, bubbles and a live chick each will round out the edges. I'm told they are guaranteed to be hens, but I've heard that line before. Dh takes the egg hunt far too seriously (one of the many things I love about him).

It looks relatively reasonable all laid out on the table. Until I open the box from Grammy.

alexsmom
03-27-2015, 01:39 AM
Everyperson in the house gets a basket filled with candy. The day before Easter, DS and I take all the candy from our Target shopping spree, and divvy it up. Once upon a time, this was a valid homeschooing math activity.
Last year I snuck to the nearbyish ostrich farm and bought an ostrich egg (emptied).
Here it is with a small fork, for scale.

IEF
03-27-2015, 02:50 AM
All of the above and then some. I'm sick of the grandfolks (and the ex with the older kids) outdoing me at Christmas with their bigger wallets, so I hijacked Zombie Jeezus Day for my own twisted agenda of spoiling the new sprout rotten.

CrazyMom
03-27-2015, 03:09 AM
Alexsmom...great minds! That's uncanny.

I got Elle an Emu egg!

They're a beautiful green color...like this: (not my egg...but mine looks just as green and gorgeous)

Also got her a very cute University of Michigan babydoll T-shirt that is nerd related instead of sports related:)

Got her the Hobbit...in Latin.

And a bunch of treats. Went to the oriental food story to pick up Pocky and all her weird Japanesey favorites. Kid LOVES that stuff. I have no idea why. Plum flavored candy...who knew?

And went to Jo Ann's and used my 60% off coupon and got her new Prismacolor colored pencils. (expensive....but she loves them)

skrink
03-27-2015, 08:42 AM
Books. Always. :) Plus a dvd or cd (or two), fun little odds and ends, a nature journal, and some candy. This year the basket with be smaller, since dd has been asking for a bigger bike and we're probably going to do that, too.

CM, I totally support your splurge on the Prismacolors. :) Dd LOVES hers. I'm saving up for the big set for her birthday.

Riceball_Mommy
03-27-2015, 09:26 AM
I always like to put books in, but this year is a bit different. I'm finding that most books on the shelf are getting ignored in favor of library books and audio book would be appreciated but you can't put audible credit in an Easter basket. Besides I'm still waiting to see if audible with make the audio version of her new Wide Awake Princess book. I did back Augie and the Green Knight though and I'm hoping maybe they get the book shipped before Easter. Otherwise this year will be a toy, crafts and a movie.
My grandmother will give her a basket that is mostly candy, and I'll probably steal some of it for the egg hunt.

CrazyMom
03-27-2015, 10:19 AM
"CM, I totally support your splurge on the Prismacolors. Dd LOVES hers. I'm saving up for the big set for her birthday."

Skrink...both Jo Ann's and Hobby Lobby have a 40% off one item coupon online anytime. If you have a smartphone, and sign up for Jo Ann's ads....they'll text you a 60% off one item coupon once in a while (usually they only give you two days to use it)....but is sure takes the sting out of price!

jenblackwell2
03-27-2015, 12:11 PM
We totally over do with Easter baskets... although we don't do candy as much as toys, books etc... Both my girls have birthdays the week before Christmas, and although I am a sucker for just because gifts.... I like to give them another special gift day that isn't in December.

We do celebrate Easter as a Christian holiday, too. So I feel a little good ol' protestant guilt over indulging my kiddos, but I get over it. :) And the huge smiles of their faces makes it really worth it. I feel much less guilt about Christmas, because in my book as a faith holiday it is much more minor... Jesus wasn't really born in December, but my kids were, so it is much more about them for me than him.

CrazyMom
03-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Easter is a bunny holiday here:) Just a fun celebration of spring, renewal, the circle of life....and Chocolate.

My mom and one of my bro's do the religious thing, we do our heathen thing (so do my other two bro's).....and we all get together for dinner and an egg hunt:)

This year, I'm bringing homemade Naan bread and hummus, and a plate of be-deviled eggs. Hubby is our resident expert egg hider:) He floated an egg on a boat in the middle of the creek one year. Froze my butt off just watching him. We were sure none of the kids would go after it....but one of the older kids got wise, grabbed the pool skimmer, knocked it out of the boat and scooped it up. LOL. Hubby was crestfallen.

He put a treasure map in one egg....leading to a buried egg...that lead to another egg....just a lot of fun. He gets very creative and the kids love it:)

Elle's excited about being promoted to an egg hider this year. The two of them will make a hell of a hunt for the little ones!

IEF
03-27-2015, 01:33 PM
I don't think the sprout even gets the connection between Easter and the funny word mom says when she hits her finger with a hammer.

I keep meaning to do something about that, but he's only 7 and I'll never have another baby so I keep putting it off.

dbsam
03-27-2015, 03:23 PM
In the past I've put more thought into their baskets and they usually had a bit of a theme.
This year it will be a mish-mash of stuff.
They always get one or two really nice chocolates and flower seed packets.
This year I think they will also get Dr. Who Mad Libs, sidewalk chalk (for one*), gel pens (for the other*), and a Nerf gun or bow. Not sure if I will add more items.

*and they will share
Christmas is easier since there isn't a basket and everything, except one item, is typically a shared gift.

aspiecat
03-27-2015, 03:33 PM
I voted for the Easter bunny to hop on by.

Since he was about four years old, DS has stipulated that as we are atheist and therefore do not believe in the Easter bunny, there is no point in doing anything like Easter baskets. He couldn't care less if he gets anything for Easter so we don't celebrate it. He's the same about Christmas - if he received nothing he'd just go about his day, unaffected.

Heather62
03-27-2015, 05:13 PM
I was never really into Easter as a kid so never did much with my own two. Sometimes I'll pick up a little treat and put it at their place at the table to find in the morning. Sometimes the day after I'll let them pick something out for 50% off. Sometimes we dye eggs and sometimes we don't.

dbsam
03-27-2015, 05:55 PM
This doesn't go in their basket but we usually tie die eggs and decorate pysanky eggs (We're not very good at it. We have great ideas but they don't turn out like we plan. The kids always want to work on the pysanky eggs but often end up in tears. We don't have the patience and don't do it often enough to improve our skills.)

KittyP
03-27-2015, 08:22 PM
We don't do Easter, but we do the first day of spring. Kiddo got this amazing book where different machines get "exploded" so you can see all the parts and how they run/work right down to the nuts and bolts and $10 to buy all the candy he could manage (or toys, but it all went to candy). So I guess it wasn't really a basket, either, just a book and candy. We also made a dozen hard boiled eggs, but I don't think it counts since we do that every week. ;) Honestly the only thing holiday-esque about it was we talked about why the seasons change, what spring meant to our ancestors, and how holiday traditions came from ancient times.

darkelf
03-28-2015, 12:03 AM
I think we are skipping the bunny this year. The kids were demanding candy and stuff. I didn't like that so I told them the bunny wouldn't be coming this year. We will have a nice dinner with dessert, but no egg hunt or baskets.

BatDad
03-28-2015, 01:20 AM
Easter just is not a holiday for us. We recognize that Spring has come, and usually get some outdoor stuff done. This year, we may start a butterfly garden since DS9 has enjoyed each one we have visited. That, and I would not mind adding more character to the backyard. So, no baskets or bunnies or yard signs here.

Avalon
03-28-2015, 10:34 AM
I usually do a mixture of chocolate/candy, plus a couple of small gifty things, too, like a new t-shirt, a novel, or some fancy markers/pencils.

This year, my daughter has put in a request for a basket full of gift cards. Every time we're out, she points out the cute Easter-themed gift cards at the check-out, and says things like, "Oh, look, Mom! This one is so pretty! Wouldn't it look great in an Easter basket?" She is cracking me up.

Free Thinker
03-28-2015, 11:31 AM
This year my bunny is being non-traditional. THe boys are getting scooters, and the girls are getting an American Girl table set I found at a resale shop- to share. They will also get a little candy, and toothbrushes, nad maybe some lipgloss or something small.

MoonSprite
03-28-2015, 03:47 PM
First day of Spring here also. We plant seeds, have candy, dye eggs, make wish eggs, etc. Mine are too old for egg hunts, but we always did it when they were younger. :)

panama10
03-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Well I'm the mom who has completely forgotten it was Easter and had no baskets.

So assuming we don't forget, they'll get a mix match of stuff, candy, books, crayons.

Rainefox
03-28-2015, 05:14 PM
We usually put some spring items together like warm weather pajamas, short sleeve tops, some small outdoor toys like sidewalk chalk, soccer balls, jump ropes. Basically a few small items that suggest spring. Candy is NOT on the list.

alexsmom
03-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Well I'm the mom who has completely forgotten it was Easter and had no baskets.

Casserole dishes. :p

Misha
03-28-2015, 06:48 PM
We don't celebrate Easter at all.

muddylilly
03-28-2015, 07:39 PM
My older nieces and nephews have renamed the holiday Zombie Jesus day and it has caught on with my boys (14 and 12).....gotta love snarky kids in their early 20's, but now I have to explain some people might not find the humor.
I have just always given my boys the traditional crappy candy, sidewalk chalk, bubbles....but not a lot. Now that they are getting older I like the idea of just letting the day slip by. They notice the candy in the store and always ask for some....I grab a bit and surprise them with it in the morning, but really I could give it to them ANY day.....wouldn't matter.

OreMom
04-08-2015, 10:02 PM
The Easter Bunny left lots of candy and was influenced by the tooth fairy by leaving toothbrushes (in the right colors of course) and toothbrushes. We also did an Easter egg hunt the day before.

hunterandhannahsmom
04-09-2015, 03:45 PM
My older nieces and nephews have renamed the holiday Zombie Jesus day and it has caught on with my boys (14 and 12).....gotta love snarky kids in their early 20's, but now I have to explain some people might not find the humor.
I have just always given my boys the traditional crappy candy, sidewalk chalk, bubbles....but not a lot. Now that they are getting older I like the idea of just letting the day slip by. They notice the candy in the store and always ask for some....I grab a bit and surprise them with it in the morning, but really I could give it to them ANY day.....wouldn't matter.

love zombie jesus day!

ikslo
04-09-2015, 04:52 PM
In lieu of an Easter basket, we took DS to the Video Game Wizards—Transforming Science and Art into Games (http://thebmi.org/exhibitscollections/temporary-exhibits/)exhibit at the Baltimore Museum of Industry. He loved it.

banjobaby
04-09-2015, 05:34 PM
My husband likes to call it Zombie Jesus Day. Given that my mother is very religious, and my grandmother, before she passed, was even more so, I found it less than entertaining that he taught our oldest to call it that as a preschooler.

However, Rabbit Christmas has become a very popular phrase in this house.

crunchynerd
04-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Mixed bag: food allergies mean no regular candy. I am trying to distance ourselves from all these mainstream ways of celebrating that all boil down to lots of cheap plastic trinkets headed for a landfill, plus sugar enough to make a herd of elephants crazy. It doesn't fill the heart, doesn't feed the mind or body, and when you get right down to it, without other rituals to give it any meaning, simply tearing through sugar candy and junky little items gets old, quickly, when that becomes what every holiday is. Even my daughter thinks so.

It wasn't that much fun because my 7 yo son got too aggressive/competitive despite my warning that big kids should let little ones find the obvious stuff, and our 10 year old got turned off because of the 7 yo's behavior, and the 4 yo wavered between being upset at the big brother taking unfair advantage, and then trying to take unfair advantage, himself. It was a selfish, elbow-others-out-of-the-way, unashamed glutfest, and not at all heart-warming. Took them about 30 seconds to scour the yard, then despite my telling them that we'd have to divide up the eggs by type so that no one got stuck with only one type of "treat" or only 4 when someone else had 14, my older son ran upstairs with his ill-gotten goods, gobbling as fast as he could so he wouldn't have to share! UGH.

Not at all what I had in mind for a celebration of spring, and not what I would pick if we celebrated Easter as a religious rite, either! Completely counter to the spirit of anything worth celebrating, unless you consider pigs shoving each other aside at a trough, a celebration. haha.

Maybe we should have an age limit on egg hunts, and if you're too old to believe in an Easter Bunny, you're old enough to hide the eggs for the little kids? I seem to recall that dimly from my childhood, at some egg hunts I went to.
I don't want to deprive the older son of treats, but he doesn't handle them well in any case.

We did do something that fed the spirit and celebrated spring: smearing paper cups with natural peanut butter, then rolling in birdseed, and hanging them out. We were visited by goldfinches still in their winter plumage!

It was like watching a nature film demonstrating the disruptive effects on primate societies, of suddenly having a very sweet food like bananas, introduced to them, that wasn't otherwise part of their lives: they covet it, war over it, and then glut themselves whenever they can, on it, and then it seems to make them a bit nuts.

ikslo
04-10-2015, 05:05 PM
crunchynerd -

My sister did an egg hunt for all the cousins one year when everyone still lived near each other where she color-coded the eggs for each child, so they had to look for their color and couldn't pick up the egg if they found another color. The older kids' were in harder to find spots, and all the ones for my son were filled with non-edibles. It was the only Easter egg hunt that went really well and didn't end in a little crying. Older kids were told if they were caught taking someone else's color, then they lost their whole basket. And each set had at least one egg with money (if I remember correctly), so there was incentive not to miss out! Maybe that would work for you?