PDA

View Full Version : Too big a commitment?

ikslo
03-20-2015, 10:10 PM
From the article FDA approves genetically engineered potatoes, apples as safe (http://news.yahoo.com/fda-approves-genetically-engineered-potatoes-apples-safe-150919612--finance.html):

"We know that in a convenience-driven world, a whole apple is too big of a commitment," Carter said.

This is not meant to be debate on GMO foods, but...seriously? Are whole apples seriously such an inconvenience that we accept it as a valid reason for needing GMO foods?

alexsmom
03-21-2015, 06:26 AM
I think the idea of pre-cut apple slices is nasty. Bathed in chemicals now to keep them fresh looking.... my commitment to my kids is bigger. If its too much hassle to cut an apple, I offer grapes, bananas, carrots... nuts.... something else.

And is it really GMO if it all comes from potatoes? Thats just cultivating, like seedless watermelons are. Its when they add insect or other plant species dna that things should be called GMO.
Not saying GMO is bad or good. Im not an alarmist.

ejsmom
03-21-2015, 10:27 AM
I buy and eat whole apples all the time. We also eat as much non-GMO and organic as possible. So convenience doesn't drive our choices. I do believe that people would buy pre-sliced apples in an attempt at adding healthy food to their kid's diets. Many also just do not care and wouldn't bother even doing that much. Most of the kids in our neighborhood live on a steady diet of Pop Tarts, diet Dr. Pepper, Doritos, convenience store slushees (that's a full lunch, apparently when eaten with a hot dog), take out pizza and french fries (that and ketchup are "vegetables", it seems.)

I'm the wrong person to ask: we slice and dry apples every week to mix with pumpkin seeds and nuts to make our own snack mix/oatmeal topping.

In my homeschool group, we are not the crunchy ones, by far.
In my neighborhood, we are way out there.

Look at the obesity rates, and skyrocketing rates of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc. Yes, a whole apple (and even cooking real food) is WAY too much of an inconvenience for the majority of Americans. Food can be medicine. Or poison.

fastweedpuller
03-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Wrong person to ask too because we grow our own. This means we only have apples for half the year, right now we're down to the squishy wrinkly ones (excepting our applesauce). Same with potatoes, sweet potatoes and onions and garlic.

Of course I have chosen the lifestyle that goes with it: perhaps this food also reflects a lifestyle choice? It is not one I'd choose but plenty of people think I am nuts too.

Avalon
03-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Apples are already a convenience food - no packaging required. I admit I like to cut up my apples if I'm sitting at a table or spreading peanut butter on them, but if I'm on the go, I just eat the whole apple. You only need to cut them for little kids, like under 5. What is wrong with people?

Homeschooling Librarian
03-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Oh, FFS. "Here folks! We've made life even more convenient for you, so when you get used to this, we can shame you for loss of even more skills and abilities!"

So sorry. I gave up coffee this week.

Misha
03-21-2015, 01:43 PM
I bought a few (organic) apples the other day, and never once did I think "gee, having to cut an apple is sooooo inconvenient."

Shocking, I know.

Solong
03-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Wow. Just wow. There isn't much of a market for this type of thing, imo. I guess the investors feel differently. Or, governments are sqandering our agrifunds again.

MNDad
03-21-2015, 03:41 PM
This is a solution looking for a problem.

skrink
03-21-2015, 04:23 PM
Dh's college roommate would never eat fruit because it was too much work. I almost didn't believe dh when he told me this, but then I met the man and yeah. :/ He's also the one who buys frozen, pre-made pb&j sandwiches.

What a world we live in.

IEF
03-21-2015, 06:11 PM
I'm not too busy to can my own fruit and spaghetti sauce but I guess that's considered a "hobby" and something I'm supposed to be ashamed of doing when I'm supposed to be working a second and third job and interviewing maids and au pairs.

I guess I'm kind of naive and I guess I want to stay that way.

CrazyMom
03-21-2015, 07:15 PM
About 50% of the food we eat in the US has been GMO since 1996.

We've been genetically modifying our food (through selective breeding) since the beginning of agriculture.

Potatoes and Apples that won't brown. Cool. Why not? If the market's there, let the market speak. If it's not there....it's a self limiting issue.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing apple slices at salad bars that haven't been dipped in fruit fresh. Also wouldn't mind apples being consumed more as a convenience food. If it encourages more apple eating, I don't mind if people are being babied. Beats the hell out of French fries.

CrazyMom
03-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Lots of times people cut apples due to dental issues, due to problems with jaw arthritis. Sometimes you're just in a professional position and don't want to risk juice dribbling down your hand, or getting it on your clothes.

Sure, you can cut them at home and throw them in a container yourself. You can even stop them from browning the old fashioned way by tossing them in a little lemon or orange juice (this is how I do it, anyway, works great).

But yeah, if I'm honest, I can definitely see the commercial appeal of machine sliced apples THAT DONT BROWN without any chemicals! That would be really cool, actually. Could buy a bag and make a fresh pie. Could shake them into containers for quick snacks without the potential mess.

Maybe not for everyone....but hey...older folks whose arthritis makes cutting hard? Really busy people on the run. Again...I'd a lot rather see them eating apples than crap.

Potatoes with 70% less acrylamide? Sign me up. Have seen enough research suggesting acrylamide is carcinogenic to think this is a great idea. I'd buy them on that basis alone.

Meh....I don't see anything more wrong with this....than selling cut up cheese on cheese platters. There are some situations where the convenience is worth the extra cost.

God knows I buy the baby carrots and salad in a sack. Same thing, no?

Starkspack
03-21-2015, 07:58 PM
So sorry. I gave up coffee this week. Why?? Why would you do this?????:_no:

RTB
03-21-2015, 08:14 PM
So I'm in the camp that some fruit is better than no fruit. If they only way you are going to be able to get fruit in for your family is via super convenience, than that is what you should do.

That said, I personally don't buy pre-sliced apples. I think the vitamin C dip changes the flavor too much.

CrazyMom
03-21-2015, 08:48 PM
Supposedly, these new apples won't need to be treated with anything and won't brown. (I agree, I hate the taste of the stuff they put on the pre-sliced apples)

Bottom line will be how they taste. If they taste like a nice fresh apple and don't have that chemical-taste ick factor....I bet they'll be very popular and sell well.

That said, no amount of convenience makes up for a yucky taste/texture. If they taste awful, like the McApples...I bet they'll bomb.

Will have to wait and see and give them a try.

Homeschooling Librarian
03-21-2015, 11:57 PM
Why?? Why would you do this?????:_no:

I figured out that coffee triggers crazy cravings for ALL THE CARBS, but if I get through the first few days of feeling murderous, then the urges to eat all the bread/chips/cookies/popcorn in the house vanish almost entirely. I can drink tea without issue, so I'm not wholly decaffeinated, thank goodness.

So now that my knee has stopped jerking, I can see that for folks without adequate kitchen space/equipment, this could be a useful thing, depending upon the cost of the damn apples. Maybe. Assuming that they'll show up in places like convenience stores that operate in the middle of food deserts.
Now that I'm back

TFZ
03-22-2015, 12:13 AM
Grocers - Please put the new sliced apples with the pre-peeled bananas. Preferably in the check-out line so I don't have to enter the store. Also, can the bagger just place the food directly in my mouth? Do you have any of that Willy Wonka whole-meal-in-a-stick-of-gum food yet? Ugh, nvm a whole meal is too much commitment. Do you just have gum that tastes like an apple instead? Forget the bananas. Too much trouble to take them out of the wrapper.

:rolleyes: :p ;) :_laugh:

jenninbel
03-22-2015, 02:19 AM
I buy them. Much to my dismay. I have a child with a feeding disorder who won't eat apples brown but he will eat these. So I buy them so he can have actual fruit in his lunches when he goes to moms day out. He can't bit into a whole apple, yet. The only other fruit he will eat is oranges. Everything else has to be in smoothie form. He has made a lot of improvement but this was the child that took me down a few notches after having a child that eats anything. Sigh..... I didn't even get to make him baby food like his brother :(

Mariam
03-22-2015, 03:15 AM
Jenninbel,

I have bought the sliced apples in the past too. When DS would eat them. Anything to get fresh fruit/veg into him.

Heather62
03-22-2015, 12:54 PM
I've bought the pre-sliced apples because it made it easier for us to take them for lunch or snacks when we did field trips. I had two small children and my husband was overseas for a year. As a mom I do what I need to get through the day sometimes and that's ok.

Homeschooling Librarian
03-22-2015, 11:45 PM
Oh, I get it! My ire is aimed at the ridiculousness of the Okanagan founder's phrase.

darkelf
03-25-2015, 08:58 PM
I don't buy them, but because they are expensive. (Compared to whole apples).
My ds eats two to three apples a day.
I bought the apple slicer and taught all kids 7 and older to use it.

No judgement if you do buy the prepackaged items here. We just try and stretch our budget, and prepackaged foods don't fit in normally.

CrazyMom
03-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Definitely hear you about expense and stretching the budget. That said, the little carrots came way down in price with popularity. Maybe these will too, if they catch on? Here's hoping.

crunchynerd
05-02-2015, 08:13 PM
We also have a vintage stainless apple slicer/corer, but it's more trouble to use and rinse and dry (or else it rusts!) than it is to just throw several apples in our go-bag and eat them whole, out-of-hand, as needed.

I still love the yellow man in the 10-gallon hat cartoon from my youth, about food that comes in its own wrapper. Apples come packaged, no prep, nothing to do, but carry with, and bite in when desired! Can't get better than that!

BakedAk
05-04-2015, 11:58 AM
frozen, pre-made pb&j sandwiches

Man, I hate those! So inconvenient to have to take them out of the freezer ahead of time.